PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for a 250-300 person wedding

rkdyee90
02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have a wedding gig coming up for around 250-300 people in the summer. I'll be doing both the ceremony and the reception.
This is the biggest gig (and first wedding) I've ever done since I usually do house parties (60-100 college students) and what not.

So, what speakers should I rent? I'm based out of Vancouver and I'm thinking of going to talk to TomLee or L&M in the next week or so.

I have no amplifiers, so I'm hoping both monitors and subwoofers are active powered and can be daisy chained.

Any input is welcome, thanks!

EDIT: the ceremony is outdoors, and the client requested a mic and a stand for the wedding vows.

Jason Cerna
02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Call a local production company. They rent out different systems and equipment for gigs like that.

ampnation
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have a wedding coming up for around 250-300 people in the summer. I'll be doing both the ceremony and the reception.
This is the biggest gig (and first wedding) I've ever done since I usually do house parties (60-100 college students) and what not.

So, what speakers should I rent? I'm based out of Vancouver and I'm thinking of going to talk to TomLee or L&M in the next week or so.

I have no amplifiers, so I'm hoping both monitors and subwoofers are active powered and can be daisy chained.

EDIT: the ceremony is outdoors, and the client requested a mic and a stand for the wedding vows.

Long & McQuade have great rental prices. I don't know anything about the other company. I'm not in Canada. But I only wish I could rent things here for the prices there, plus they seem to have a nice selection of rental gear. Then if you find yourself getting more big gigs, you can buy the same equipment you were renting. Their rental stock is always for sale and the purchase price goes down with each rental.

More importantly, what have you done to prepare for your first wedding? Have you gone out with another DJ for a few weddings to get the feel for what is expected. It isn't the same ball game as a school dance. There are skills you need beyond spinning. If you have time between now and the wedding, try to get some time in observing someone else in action. Also, read up. Peter Merry's "The Best Wedding Reception Ever" is a decent book to give you ideas on how to conduct yourself.

Unknown DJ
02-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Go to L&M. Rent a pair of NX55's and a LS801. will cost you less than a $100. You can add a second sub if you want.

drzinc
02-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have a wedding gig coming up for around 250-300 people in the summer. I'll be doing both the ceremony and the reception.

Where in Canada are you? If you are in the GTA area I can help you out.

bernardgregory
02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Where in Canada are you? If you are in the GTA area I can help you out.

that's why we missed these forums so much. people actually willing to help others out.

epik1
02-15-2012, 06:05 PM
OP says he's in Vancouver.

DJAkash
02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
vancouver has to have sound companies out there, I have heard about many events out there.
side question: Detroit area local sound company that doesnt charge 200 dollars for a pair of powered speakers?

rkdyee90
02-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Update:

So I contacted L&M and their prices are very reasonable. Should run me no more than $150-200 to rent everything audio related. Now for some lights...and creating the playlist...

Thanks a lot guys!

For anyone who's interested, here's their pricing: http://www.long-mcquade.com/imgs/feb12-pa%20rental%20rates.pdf

rkdyee90
02-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks for your offer man! unfortunately I'm located on the westcoast. Next time if I'm in the GTA

NuDJ
02-26-2012, 12:00 AM
get 4 JBL PRX 615M…. Depending on the placement and how big/tall of the room... more ideally add 2 subwoofers such as PRX 618s XLF