PDA

View Full Version : A friend of mine has created a 12 hour music production course (HD video)

Sigma
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
This thread is a bit spammy, but I've written enough guides and shit for this site so you can give me a pass on this one!

The guy that created the course, Chris, has 15 years experience in music production (and teaching it) and he's really good at explaining things in plain English. He's not one of those clowns that just knocks up an ebook and then expects people to pay $50 for it. This course features 12 hours of HD video tutorials, plus if you have any questions about anything in the course you can email Chris and he'll get back to you. It's aimed at both PC and Mac users and he provides a list of free software you can use, so you can start learning without having to buy expensive software.

He's doing an introductory offer at the moment, so the full course is $61 for the next 10 days. Chris is also offering a full money back guarantee for up to 60 days after purchase.

You can find more info, view sample videos of the course, and buy the course here: -

http://ohdratdigital.com/totalmusicproductioncourse/

Oh yeah - just to be straight on why I'm posting this. I get no share of any money that Chris makes from sales of his course. I'm trying to help him out because he's a friend, but if I didn't feel that he was offering a quality product I wouldn't post about it because I wouldn't want people saying "Sigma, I tried your mate's course and it was shit!". If you want to get into music production, go check it out.

Adzm00
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Looks interesting Smegma.

Can't really complain for what is about 40 quid.

Mixxed
08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Nice...

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I'll give it a look.:tup:

Evolved
08-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Looked at it briefly but at work now. Looks like it might be all MAC specific instruction no? But also what about all the equipment/software needed how much does that cost?

Sigma
08-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Looked at it briefly but at work now. Looks like it might be all MAC specific instruction no? But also what about all the equipment/software needed how much does that cost?
He's chosen to use Reaper as the main DAW because it works on both Windows and OS X, it's free to use for 30 days, then you get a nag screen on startup asking you to buy a license, but it's still functional. If you do buy a license, it's only 60 bucks. AFAIK, everything else he uses in the tutorials is completely free software. While Chris is a Mac user, he's been careful about making sure that this course can be used by OS X and Windows users alike.

Similarly with hardware, you can use your existing computer keyboard to do everything he does, but if you want to buy a MIDI keyboard or whatever, that's up to you.

Basically, he's tried to make it as accessible as possible. The only outlay you have to make is the initial $61 for the course itself, which works out to $5 (and a few cents) per hour of course material.

lingk
08-13-2012, 07:59 AM
I took the drive. In my effort to have legal software and such I figured this would be a good way to learn reaper, because I can't affordfull blown ableton at the moment(even tho I just bought an f1.. but I was saving for that for a while). I like the sample video on the delay. he goes way more in-depth on what dose what and why. I liked that rather then a paint by numbers video because in the end I'll know how to my up new sounds rather then the same sound.

Sigma
08-14-2012, 06:52 AM
You bought it? Cool man. Post up your thoughts when you've had some time to watch more of it.

lingk
08-14-2012, 08:02 AM
will do, I have only watch a few of the intro videos and for me they where review mostly on what a DAW is and such things. Installing all the VSTs take a little bit of time but that's with anything. I'll keep you posted.

recess
08-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I might do this, Im sitting on a train right now and im SUPER bored.

Dantron
08-14-2012, 08:29 AM
I know about as much about producing as I do rocket science, I'd like a nice introduction course. Is this one right for me? Or will it go above my head?

Sigma
08-14-2012, 08:36 AM
I know about as much about producing as I do rocket science, I'd like a nice introduction course. Is this one right for me? Or will it go above my head?
It's aimed at the total n00b to intermediate level, so you should be fine with it man.

Also, remember that there is a money back guarantee. Chris offered that knowing that people could buy the course, think it's great, but then email him and say "this course sucks, I want my money back!", but he's confident that people will be satisfied with what they get in return for their 61 bucks, which will hopefully cut down on the numbers of people pulling shady shit like that.

DJ Scotch
08-14-2012, 09:01 AM
I will purchase this for sure at $61 bucks you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the link. it looks very interesting.

Dantron
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
It's aimed at the total n00b to intermediate level, so you should be fine with it man.

Also, remember that there is a money back guarantee. Chris offered that knowing that people could buy the course, think it's great, but then email him and say "this course sucks, I want my money back!", but he's confident that people will be satisfied with what they get in return for their 61 bucks, which will hopefully cut down on the numbers of people pulling shady shit like that.

Excellent. I'll be purchasing it this week.

sin303
08-14-2012, 03:59 PM
wish it was on ableton

lingk
08-14-2012, 04:15 PM
wish it was on ableton

I agree, but really from watching the sample videos the DAW isn't going to matter much. what he is going to go over applies to everything in the end. I'm thinking of buying ableton intro tho. I have been using a version of ableton for a long time now and know it well. I am checking our reaper, but I think because I know ableton so well I might stick with it, just will have to save for a while to get the full version. I'm trying to have everything legit now. I just feel better supporting the stuff I use.

lingk
08-15-2012, 08:09 AM
well I just got through all the intro videos last night. If your new to making music and DAWs and that stuff they are a must watch. If you have been making music for a while and your not using reaper you can skip them for the most part. Good info in them, I would recommend just watching them for review on some things. He goes over Swing a little bit in the Midi editing video. gave me some good ideas.

The first depth video is about how synthesis work. it's about 30min long. Hopefully I'll get to watch it tonight.

Sigma
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
wish it was on ableton
The bulk of what he teaches should translate over to other software. Here's his own words on that: -

The course can be split into two groups I guess; totally transferrable sections (theory, digital audio, synthesis, sampling, effects, mix & master) and sections that will take some adjustment to transfer to completely different software (obviously software setup, also advanced routing and audio recording). What I will say is that if you're not already comfortable with Live, and especially if you don't use clip view regularly, you'd be better off switching to Reaper at least for the course, after which what you need from Live will be a lot clearer.

lingk
08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
^ I agree from what I watched so far.

Gareth
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Gonna check this out. His name sounds familiar... I think I've seen some of his other videos already - has he got an almost Brummie accent when he speaks?

DJWORX
08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Leicester.

TVM
08-18-2012, 10:37 AM
This looks awesome. Exactly what I'm looking for, a detailed guide to DAWs and how to get started. I've been wanting to try and produce my own music, but I find it hard when I barely know the ins and outs of the DAW. And it's a pain to search all over youtube to find videos with crappy explanations by people who just learned it themselves.

Baller95
08-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Looks interesting Smegma.

Can't really complain for what is about 40 quid.

LOL "smegma" !

And yea this does look really good!

DJ Scotch
08-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I am in, Purchased his video help for $61

Sigma
09-10-2012, 05:42 PM
To any of you guys that bought this - what are your impressions? Whether good or bad, I will pass them on to Chris.