PDA

View Full Version : Gemini TT-01, worth it?

Archon
08-09-2012, 11:54 AM
So, i really wanna try out DVS, but i dont want to spend a ton of money... i stopped at a pawn shop near my house the other day to look around and i saw two Gemini TT-01 turntables for $25 each. they don't have Carts or needles, but they are working just find and come with two slipmats each. they also have a gemini mixer that i forge which kind it is but its pretty nice looking wand will work just fine for basic mixing, and its less than $50. They're belt drive TTs but all im going to do is mixing, no scratching, so would that be okay? Is this a good deal, and should i go for it? also, which carts/needles should i get and Traktor pro or SSL?

if you dont reccomend these, whats a good cheap pair of non-numark tables and a mixer?
thanks!

drzinc
08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Those would work just fine.

Archon
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
great! what carts and needles should i get and how much would they be? keep in mind im pretty much broke.

light-o-matic
08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
They would work.. dunno about the "fine" part :p
It's super cheap, but then ya need to buy the carts etc. At least, if they suck, the carts and headshells can be re-used on whatever you get next.

Personally I'd spend a bit more and get direct drive. I see a TON of DJ stuff being sold on dallas craigslist at reasonable prices.. I think you can do better.

But sure, if you want to spend the bare minimum, it'll work.

Archon
08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLTTB3U-Turntable-Recording-Software/dp/B002PF4YKU/ref=sr_1_24?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1344532088&sr=1-24
They would work.. dunno about the "fine" part :p
It's super cheap, but then ya need to buy the carts etc. At least, if they suck, the carts and headshells can be re-used on whatever you get next.

Personally I'd spend a bit more and get direct drive. I see a TON of DJ stuff being sold on dallas craigslist at reasonable prices.. I think you can do better.

But sure, if you want to spend the bare minimum, it'll work.

yeah, i just dont have the money right now to get anything better, and the only DJ gear ive ever seen on craigslist is Techs and numark as far as TTs go... i just dont even know if i will like it yet, so i dont want to break the bank. i'm VERY wary of going digital, because i dont want to become reliant on sync and waveforms to mix, so idk if i even want to do it.

how bout this one (http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLTTB3U-Turntable-Recording-Software/dp/B002PF4YKU/ref=sr_1_24?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1344532088&sr=1-24)

sss18734
08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I've played with the TT-01's - They're decent starter tables. The fact of the matter is, though, that just about any entry level table is fine for a beginner.

And when you decide to move on... You only spent $50. And honestly, you could easily resell them for that in a year or two. I sold mine for $80 without any headshells :tup:

If you want cheap needles, grab a pair of the ones that come stock with most Numark turntables... They will suit your needs and only cost like $15. Or you can get something nice like the Shure M44's and keep them when you upgrade the tables.

Archon
08-09-2012, 12:34 PM
cool, im gonna go for it then. now, SSL or traktor pro? and what carts?

light-o-matic
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
As I said, they will work.

But, I don't understand why you're against Numark but cool with Gemini. On average, Numark stuff is MUCH better than Gemini. Gemini has had a few decent products, but mostly not. Numark had/has some shitty products, but lots of decent ones.. on average they are way above Gemini. By nixing Numark, you are basically screwing yourself, because as you have seen, there is a ton of their stuff on the market, and really, that's your best chance of getting a good turntable at the kind of prices you want. You might be lucky and find a good Stanton model.. there are not as many of them for sale cheap, but they are out there. Maybe someone told you that Gemini's better than Numark?? They're not.

Anyway it's 100% true that for $75 bux it doesn't hurt to give these turntables a go. But belt drive is such a chore...

Archon
08-10-2012, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=light-o-matic;132791]As I said, they will work.

But, I don't understand why you're against Numark but cool with Gemini. QUOTE]

my main gear is numark, but theyre TTs are ugly as hell is why i dont want them.

DJblaze
08-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Do not buy a belt driven turntable for DJ use... Trust me on this one. It's not a good idea at all. Save up so you can spend about $200 per deck, that way you can get something that will really work. Those TT-01's are really bad...

light-o-matic
08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
So how did it all work out?

varini.1000
08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
I am curious.... How did everything pan out?