PDA

View Full Version : Turntables to ?

st3rling
08-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Hey all,

Been using turntables and vinyl for a long time now. Finally got Serato SL last year and upgraded my mixer to a Rane TTM 56s. I miss the "good old days" but really do not miss all the weight of crates. Though I don't mind when it's appreciated, I'm feeling the turntables now are not worth bringing to certain gigs. What would be a solution for a lighter setup?

For some background, I was a mobile DJ but stopped for a number years, selling off all my amps, speakers, and lights. Could never sell my TTs and vinyl though! I've started up again doing small events here and there. But some events, especially when they hardly have room for my setup or don't call for nor appreciate much scratching, I feel the turntables are just overkill. Plus my now slightly older back is killing me! Even just the thought of moving speakers again really makes me want to seriously lighten up my load where I can.

I'm considering a single Numark V7 since it would give me turntable like control with modern features. But I'm nervous about the move to Itch. I know it's not a relatively big move, so maybe I shouldn't be so concerned? A CDJ-like media player using timecode to control SL was another thought. Perhaps one of these newfangled controllers? lol, don't worry, I never say "newfangled"...I'm not that old!

Any ideas?

nolimitz
08-09-2012, 12:08 AM
You should look into Pioneer CDJ's. A lot easier to move around plus its what you'll find in most clubs nowadays.

If you like Serato Scratch Live, an Itch controller like the NS6, NS7 and the V7 will suffice.

The Pioneer DDJ-S1 is an itch controller that has a Pioneer CDJ layout with a central DJM series layout mixer. It's probably the best controller for itch in my opinion.

The NS6 offers 4 virtual decks so if that's your thing then go look into it.

If you're not that serious about scratching and still want to use SL then the CDJ route will be ideal except for the price.

bobbyd
08-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Right now I have become a bedroom dj - and just play my old records on my old turntables. If I ever thought I would be djing a lot again, I would seriously consider the S4 - or make the move to the CDJs. I bet the CDJs are much lighter than 1200s and I know that the cds, or a hard drive full of music are a lot lighter than the vinyl. The Traktor Kontrol S4 - looks like the next step in DJing - it still looks a like you might look like you were writing an email though - no where near as cool as a big piece of 12" vinyl. Anyways, here is the info on the S4:
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s4/

DJ Retro Blaze
08-09-2012, 08:14 AM
You should look into Pioneer CDJ's. A lot easier to move around plus its what you'll find in most clubs nowadays.

If you like Serato Scratch Live, an Itch controller like the NS6, NS7 and the V7 will suffice.

The Pioneer DDJ-S1 is an itch controller that has a Pioneer CDJ layout with a central DJM series layout mixer. It's probably the best controller for itch in my opinion.

The NS6 offers 4 virtual decks so if that's your thing then go look into it.

If you're not that serious about scratching and still want to use SL then the CDJ route will be ideal except for the price.

+1

This is basically my opinion as well.

Although my main setup is a DVS with Traktor and turntables. I own a Pioneer DDJ-T1 controller, the Traktor version of the DDJ-S1, for when I travel and if I get a gig that does not make sense to bring the DVS setup.

DJ Highline
08-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Well I guess there are a few questions...for starters whats your budget. How dedicated are you to spinning platters? Do you mind an all in one system or are you OK with separate controllers and mixer? From what I've read here are a few options.

Spinning Platter options
1 x Numark V7 + a 2 channel mixer (this is not a bad solution)
1 x Numark NS7 all-in -one controller
2 x Denon S3700 or S3900 + a 2channel mixer

Small Formate Separate peices (all will need a 2 channel mixer)
2 x Denon DN-S1200
2 x Pioneer CDJ-350
2 x American Audio Radius 3000 (maybe)

Controllers:
There are a ton of them...

Panotaker
08-09-2012, 09:33 AM
CDJ's might be lighter, but they are not that much smaller. Might as well lug around an NS7. If you are doing mobile gigs, look at the new VCI-380 or the older VCI-300. They do just about everything, and they are light and fit in a backpack.

st3rling
08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow, thanks for all your opinions guys. Really appreciate it!

My budget isn't in the higher end Pio CDJ territory, so I'm looking for options that keep me in the $500 range, for now at least. I can add to it later on, but that's my budget on an initial purchase that will lighten my load.

If I could go to a spinning platter and keep using SL, it'd be my first natural choice. Not that it's the best idea but of course, it doesn't stray too far from my comfort zone. The Denon 3700 is interesting as it has built in timecode with SL and a lot of cool features all wrapped up in a vinyl-like experience (is the sticker drift that bad?)

A CDJ 350 sounds interesting too. Using HID on SL sounds like it would be pretty cool. Would I miss the turntable like control? Maybe.

A controller? The all-in-one convenience and ease of setup sounds very tempting. I'm afraid I'd miss the feel of turntables but perhaps that isn't so high on the priority list when trying to keep it light, easy and convenient for appropriate shows. Although Traktor looks tempting to try, I'd perhaps say its too big of a jump from where I am. I'll check that DDJ-S1 out a bit closer, though it's out of my price range unless I can find it used.

Decisions, decisions...

DJ Que Yi
08-13-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm facing the same challenge. I'm mobile and some of my gigs don't warrant my SL3 and 1200's. I'm looking for an alternative and leaning toward the VCI 300 MKII. But I've heard that its old and there's newer technology out out shines it. Anyone have any experience and suggestions?

DJ Que Yi
08-13-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm facing the same challenge. I'm mobile and some of my gigs don't warrant my SL3 and 1200's. I'm looking for an alternative and leaning toward the VCI 300 MKII. But I've heard that its old and there's newer technology out out shines it. Anyone have any experience and suggestions?

Well I've seen the suggestions. Any opinions/experience on the VCI 300KII

DJ Highline
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
The Denon 3700 is interesting as it has built in timecode with SL and a lot of cool features all wrapped up in a vinyl-like experience (is the sticker drift that bad?)

The (I believe) last firmware update that addressed the sticker drift so it is much better from what I here and I don't think it was ever very bad just some of the more advanced scratchers noticed it.

Although unlike the V7, you will need two players as they can't do layers...

st3rling
08-13-2012, 08:06 PM
The (I believe) last firmware update that addressed the sticker drift so it is much better from what I here and I don't think it was ever very bad just some of the more advanced scratchers noticed it.

Although unlike the V7, you will need two players as they can't do layers...

Thanks for the info about the Denon 3700. That's encouraging to hear.

As far as buying one 3700 for now, I was considering using instant doubles on SL. That would work, right?

djransom
08-15-2012, 01:47 PM

I have the VCI 300 MK2(which I'm looking to sell) and it's pretty decent. There is the new 380 out, but there are some reported issues with it. I prefer going back to tables which is the only reason I'm selling the VCI.