PDA

View Full Version : Anything other the a S4

kevinhayes
08-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I’ve have been a serato scratch live user, and wanted to change things up a bit. So I bought a Kontrol s4 because it’s portable, gives me the option of using 4 tracks, and allows me to plug in my 1200s if I choose. After dealing with some of worst customer support ever over at NI, I have decided to sell my S4, replace it with a different controller. Is there another controller out there that has 4 channels, allows timecodes, and uses serato or itch?

popong
08-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Try the 4trak. see the discussion here (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?1648-Best-traktor-controller-S4-vs-4TRAK)

MeowMix
08-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I dont think itch allows timecode signal but you can run external decks through it.

If you have an SL-3/4 box you can use the controller to control some internal decks and your TTs or CDJs to control the others.
If you gonna do that though you might as well go modular and do 2 CDJ/TTs + 4 channel mixer + 2 controllers like X1s/K2/PL-1s (behringer)

If decide running timecode is not that big of a deal and you are ok with using a full on controller the NS6 is pretty much where its at with 4 deck Itch. Its a standalone mixer too so you can play CDs or TTs through it with full EQ control without having to use software.

KLH
08-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Welcome to DJF, Kevinhayes!

Is there another controller out there that has 4 channels, allows timecodes, and uses serato or itch?
Only the S4 with TSP allows for timecode. No ITCH controller allows for timecode, but I've been told that you can run SSL at the same time as ITCH. If true, look at the NS6 and SL2.

EDIT: So what was the customer support issue?

-KLH

kevinhayes
08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
EDIT: So what was the customer support issue?

I went to pick up a Kontrol s4 from my local music store, and before I was about to buy it I notice there was on open box one available, so I asked about it and to make sure it came with software. The guy said there’s no cd but it comes with a card saying go to http://www.native-instruments.com/go-s4/ then just type in the Serial Number on the bottom of the unit. He said that on open box models there is a no return policy, but he did say the unit had full warranty. So I bought the open box, made an account, followed the instructions then it just lead to a blank page. Wrote to NI they said wait 72 hours, if nothing happens write back, three days later nothing. Wrote them back, and they put traktor pro 2 on my account. I download the software, typed in the registration code, and a got an error message. Since then I went through a few weeks calling and e-mailing of NI telling me to reinstall, NI saying “my internet connections no good”, them telling me sending them screen shots, most people on the phone said there’s is nothing we can do about it. One guy told me to buy the software off the website. Another guy straight up just told me to download a pirated version. Finally one day NI wrote me back saying send them pictures of the unit, the manual, the receipt, the box, UPC on the box, and the cd. I showed them pictures of the unit, the manual, and a copy of my bank statement showing how much I paid at the store (I didn’t take too much care of the receipt because of the no return policy). They said I still need the box, the UPC, the cd, and a proper receipt. I said I was unable to provide these pictures, so took traktor pro 2 was removed from my account. Since then I have called them with them saying there’s nothing we can do about it or buy a new copy. Every time I ask to speak with the manger they say to me “this isn’t a manager’s issue”. I would right emails with the same response “there’s nothing we can do” or no response at all. I’ve tried to take the S4 back to the store and they just said sorry. The one guy was nice enough and said that, if there’s something defective on it he’ll exchanged it or give me store credit. Unfortunately it worked fine.

Luckily a buddy of mine just bought an X1, and it came with a copy of Traktor Pro 2, so he give it to me knowing I had issues, since he already has Traktor. I punched his code into service center, and same error. I wrote them saying it doesn’t work. They told me it was because I didn’t own an X1.

I recently got my phone bill back and it had over $100 in long distance charges for calling the US (I live in Canada) because NI doesn’t have a Canadian support number. And now for the past week everytime I email NI support they never responded.

MeowMix
08-08-2012, 09:26 PM
that is a fucked up situation to be in.

contra
08-08-2012, 09:39 PM
That's shitty man. I think I'd be more up the store's ass than NI.

Nicadraus
08-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Kevin. NI have very good products and I myself is an NI user. But they really do suck when it comes to after sales service support. All they know and care about is selling their product for profit but once you encounter problems, more of it will come as you try to contact them. In the NI forums, most moderators are useless to be honest. One of them is so biased that if you say something negative about NI, he'll either block the thread or counter respond offensively.

Hope you get your issues with NI sorted or simply return the S4 and get a 4Trak instead. Much, much better than the S4. :tup:

kevinhayes
08-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear that Kevin. NI have very good products and I myself is an NI user. But they really do suck when it comes to after sales service support. All they know and care about is selling their product for profit but once you encounter problems, more of it will come as you try to contact them. In the NI forums, most moderators are useless to be honest. One of them is so biased that if you say something negative about NI, he'll either block the thread or counter respond offensively.

Hope you get your issues with NI sorted or simply return the S4 and get a 4Trak instead. Much, much better than the S4. :tup:

Thanks, I put an ad up on craigslist so i should get at least some of my money back.

DJ Retro Blaze
08-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I download the software, typed in the registration code, and a got an error message.

Considering you purchased an open boxed S4, it is a possibility that the registration code was already used.

Nevertheless, sorry to hear about your situation.

Subjacent
08-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Quoting (kevinhayes)

I went to pick up a Kontrol s4 from my local music store, and before I was about to buy it I notice there was on open box one available, so I asked about it and to make sure it came with software. The guy said there’s no cd but it comes with a card saying go to http://www.native-instruments.com/go-s4/ then just type in the Serial Number on the bottom of the unit. He said that on open box models there is a no return policy, but he did say the unit had full warranty. So I bought the open box, made an account, followed the instructions then it just lead to a blank page. Wrote to NI they said wait 72 hours, if nothing happens write back, three days later nothing. Wrote them back, and they put traktor pro 2 on my account. I download the software, typed in the registration code, and a got an error message. Since then I went through a few weeks calling and e-mailing of NI telling me to reinstall, NI saying “my internet connections no good”, them telling me sending them screen shots, most people on the phone said there’s is nothing we can do about it. One guy told me to buy the software off the website. Another guy straight up just told me to download a pirated version. Finally one day NI wrote me back saying send them pictures of the unit, the manual, the receipt, the box, UPC on the box, and the cd. I showed them pictures of the unit, the manual, and a copy of my bank statement showing how much I paid at the store (I didn’t take too much care of the receipt because of the no return policy). They said I still need the box, the UPC, the cd, and a proper receipt. I said I was unable to provide these pictures, so took traktor pro 2 was removed from my account. Since then I have called them with them saying there’s nothing we can do about it or buy a new copy. Every time I ask to speak with the manger they say to me “this isn’t a manager’s issue”. I would right emails with the same response “there’s nothing we can do” or no response at all. I’ve tried to take the S4 back to the store and they just said sorry. The one guy was nice enough and said that, if there’s something defective on it he’ll exchanged it or give me store credit. Unfortunately it worked fine.

Luckily a buddy of mine just bought an X1, and it came with a copy of Traktor Pro 2, so he give it to me knowing I had issues, since he already has Traktor. I punched his code into service center, and same error. I wrote them saying it doesn’t work. They told me it was because I didn’t own an X1.

I recently got my phone bill back and it had over $100 in long distance charges for calling the US (I live in Canada) because NI doesn’t have a Canadian support number. And now for the past week everytime I email NI support they never responded.

------------------------------------------------

here are a few thought from me on this,

Just a baffled guys the Traktor s4 version is tied to the controller,So if its a new controller then their can be no problems as you suggest, that would be impossible, no body else can use that copy if they do not have that controller, I tried it once to see what happened and it cant be done. The only thing 100% that has happened is that you have been sold a returned item/S4 that has already been registered TO another, but that cheeky/or ignorant blighter thought he could get a free copy after sending the S4 back, Admittedly I tried it to play devils advocate with intention to do the Wright thing after, but I could not, so all I have to do was remove the S4 traktor edition from my service centre, so its free for the next user of that S4 and all was fine. the same goes for serato itch and the novation twitch.

You have been rail roaded by ignorant lazy or rip off merchants, here in the UK not sure about Canada, but under the sales of goods act, after quoting this in the correct manor, i would not imagine it would be too long before the shop backed down, they owe you a discounted refund for a used item normally a lot cheaper for a return than a display model and the price of your new copy, if canada has some sort of law like the UK sales of goods act, then you have won your case already if worded correctly, i have been ripped of about 3 times over last couple of years, for a new sofa etc a new bed and some studio gear, each time I won after some to the point letters leaving them no choice but to do the right thing. Its principle really, under the sales of goods act here in the UK you have many years after to complain, all you do is play the dummy and say you had no ideas of your rights until that time , its all in the careful wording, but say £100/150 dollars is still money in your pocket that belongs in your pocket.
If you do indeed have a similar law to our sales of goods act, get on it,in this case their would be no need for court cases, but no harm in a letter also letting them know you have Personal contacts in this area and you have the money to follow it through, and its all on principle at what they have done to a customer and if they don't make this easy for you, just to top it off, tell them you will make sure every related website, TV show etc. will get to here about their store.
Its not guaranteed to work for cheaper items, but once you get on to item costing like your controller and the software is part of that package remind yourself. Also if the store did not state that the software was not in this box and its second hand status etc, its then them that have to prove otherwise not you, but like I say this all depends on your Canadian Law, But Personally I would not let them get away with it, you want what you paid for surely even under Canadian law you have that right- Find out what these are M8
All the best.

KLH
08-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Considering you purchased an open boxed S4, it is a possibility that the registration code was already used. Nevertheless, sorry to hear about your situation.
+1 on both points.

NI has taken a harsh stance on their bundled hardware and software products:

* NI considers the S4 to be the combination of the controller AND the registration code
* NI believes that if the registration code was used, then the next user that attempts to use the code is a software pirate
* For used products, NI's policy is to have the seller request to transfer ownership of the registration code to the buyer

I've heard several tales of similar stories. The only successful way of getting through this mess (that I've seen) is to ask for help in the NI S4 forums. Here's a sticky (http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143707)in that forum that may be helpful.

Backing away from this, where's the blame go to in this situation? IMHO, NI. Customers - such as yourself - clearly expect to be able to buy the S4 used and get Traktor Pro for free. NI should communicate their transfer-of-ownership policies on the S4's website so that buyers understand what they need to buy... or force the sellers to sell at a discount so that a new license of Traktor Pro can be purchased.

I hope that you get the registration code addressed. The S4 and Traktor Pro are a great combination, IMHO.

-KLH

mrkleen
08-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I hope that you get the registration code addressed. The S4 and Traktor Pro are a great combination, IMHO.

-KLH

Totally agree. If you are set on using Traktor - the S4 is by far the best controller for native use of deep features.