PDA

View Full Version : The RMX1000 is it actually worth it?

DjSalvo
08-06-2012, 08:19 AM
So, last night I was DJ-ing at a club, the usual. The promoter came up at the end and asked me back. Later after listening to my set I realized that something was missing. I've brought it down to two things.
1. Only having two decks to mix with.
or
2. Not having a RMX1000 to let me build songs up and cut across on the drop. Maybe just great advertising by pioneer, but that video of Laidback Luke demonstrating the power of the 1000 really sold me.

Basically what I'm asking is is it really worth it and will it add that extra umph to a mix? or would another deck do a better job?

Bearing in mind my set up is two NDX400s and a DDM4000.

DJ Highline
08-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Personally, IMHO if you feel that you "NEED" something else than 2 decks and a mixer to make your set complete, then you should go back and evaluate your skill set. These things like extra decks and EFX units are extras...they shouldn't make or break your set...only enhance.

Now if you feel adding EFX would help you out then there are a few ways you could go. You could get the EFX and considering Pioneer pricing is a a decent deal...but at $850 for another $150 you can get a Denon DN-X1600. Then you get a mixer upgrade, EFX and Traktor Scratch Certification...so for another $120 (+laptop) or so you can add Traktor Scratch Pro to your rig if you wanted to.

DjSalvo
08-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Personally, IMHO if you feel that you "NEED" something else than 2 decks and a mixer to make your set complete, then you should go back and evaluate your skill set. These things like extra decks and EFX units are extras...they shouldn't make or break your set...only enhance.

Now if you feel adding EFX would help you out then there are a few ways you could go. You could get the EFX and considering Pioneer pricing is a a decent deal...but at $850 for another $150 you can get a Denon DN-X1600. Then you get a mixer upgrade, EFX and Traktor Scratch Certification...so for another $120 (+laptop) or so you can add Traktor Scratch Pro to your rig if you wanted to.

Nah like i probably worded it wrong. I feel like somethings missing i.e. something more to add.. I Dont want to go the laptop route the way i work it with my laptop now i like so i wanna stay that way

DJ Highline
08-06-2012, 09:01 AM
The DN-X1600 though gives you the option of adding Traktor Scratch Pro very easily if you want...you don't have to...its just an option. Like I said you would be upgrading your mixer and getting some pretty good EFX as well for only a few dollars more than the RMX. Something to check out. The work flow would be different as compared to the RMX though...I do like how they have build and release EFX...

DjSalvo
08-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Yeh in fairness the main attraction to the 1000 is the fact that the release button is perfect for enhancing the build ups of songs and bein able to remix it live

DJ Retro Blaze
08-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I own the Pioneer RMX-1000 (and the Denon DN-X1600), and I am much more impressed with the RMX-1000 than I imaged. In my humble opinion, the Laidback Luke video, quite frankly, sucked, and did not give a good representation of the unit.

Overall, for me, the RMX-1000 was worth the purchase, and it can help spice up a mixed when used sparely. Conversely, if overused, it can quickly become annoying.

Whether it is worth it or not, only you can decided, based on your present setup and needs. In my opinion, it is not a critical purchase for a DJ, especially if you use software in your setup. But, for a setup without software, the value of the RMX-1000 definitely increases. With that said, there is nothing that should prevent you from rocking a solid DJ set with two decks and a mixer.

Based on your present equipment, I honestly would invest in better decks and mixer prior to the RMX-1000. But, that is just my opinion. Other thoughts may differ.

Estacy
08-06-2012, 09:47 AM
If the promoter asked you back, I don't think your set was missing something...

MeowMix
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I own the Pioneer RMX-1000 (and the Denon DN-X1600), and I am much more impressed with the RMX-1000 than I imaged. In my humble opinion, the Laidback Luke video, quite frankly, sucked, and did not give a good representation of the unit.

Overall, for me, the RMX-1000 was worth the purchase, and it can help spice up a mixed when used sparely. Conversely, if overused, it can quickly become annoying.

Whether it is worth it or not, only you can decided, based on your present setup and needs. In my opinion, it is not a critical purchase for a DJ, especially if you use software in your setup. But, for a setup without software, the value of the RMX-1000 definitely increases. With that said, there is nothing that should prevent you from rocking a solid DJ set with two decks and a mixer.

Based on your present equipment, I honestly would invest in better decks and mixer prior to the RMX-1000. But, that is just my opinion. Other thoughts may differ.

I dont have an RMX but what Blaze says about its impact for a setup without software makes a lot of sense.

If i had money to blow id get it.
What sold me on it was this video of its isolator capabilities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6E7NNGXbQ4

Those fat knobs also really look fun to play with :P

g-sep
08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Those fat knobs also really look fun to play with :P

That's what she said :P

DJ Retro Blaze
08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
What sold me on it was this video of its isolator capabilities

The isolator section is where the RMX-1000 really shines, based on my experience, too.

Archon
08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
i was thinking about one of these after watching DJ Cotts use an older one in his videos, but im so intimidated. im no pro enough to use this piece of God's set up.

Luke Ryan
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Get a DJM-900 Nexus and then you won't have to worry about the RMX-1000

Pmf2000
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I just got the RMX1000 and I quite like it. Keeping in mind that I have the DNX1600 and use it in combination with Traktor. Used sparingly as mentioned earlier, it can definitely add a little spice to your mixes. My favorite thing so far is creating drum beats on the fly to create unique remixes. Yes I can do this in Traktor, but find it much easier to do with the RMX1000. So far it has been worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DJ Donnie Lewis
08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I remember back in the day making effects just using the techs but echo and flanger were the only efx Id ever use (or should say those were the only ones I knew how to do).

Ryan Ruel
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Get a DJM-900 Nexus and then you won't have to worry about the RMX-1000

I have a 900 and have to say the RMX-1000 seems to offer quite a bit of functionality the 900 does not, particularly in the way it's used.

Archon
08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
does the RMX-1000 have to be used with software?

DJ Retro Blaze
08-06-2012, 04:39 PM
does the RMX-1000 have to be used with software?

No, not while DJing.

However, you must use a computer to load new samples and modify the user settings, which can be saved to a SD card. If using the default samples and settings, the unit works fine straight out the box.

Another bonus, when connect to a PC, is that the RMX-1000 can also be used as a VST effect for production work.

DJ STU-C
08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
i used to go to a bar years ago (around 2000) and the dj there was using an efx500 for doing crazy build ups and break downs, he was using beat samplers from masters at work and creating a massive build up with the echo effect and the isolator, then dropping a big old tribal style beat sampler, really got the crowd going.

so my point is if your on a budget and only wanting to experiment then a 500 could be the way to go, they are cheap as hell on fleabay and do the job

sin303
08-16-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm really wanting an RMX1000, but will have to use it with DDJS1 for awhile, at least until I get a Rane 62