PDA

View Full Version : MC's and DJ's

Flacito
08-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Hello,

There might have been (numerous) threads about this already, I don't know. But as the title says I'd like to know how DJ's (and the audience) think about MC's.

Personally I've liked some MC's while mixing myself. As far as my experience goes in mixing at gigs there are 2 kinds of MC's: the one that tries and keeps the audience energetic through his voice and "merges" the audience as a whole rather than having random different groups within the audience (put yo hands up, when i say this, you say that, etc.). It gives the crowd a feeling they are as a whole rather than a group of individuals. In my opinion, these are the good MC's. They are not overwhelming and respectful in such a sense they sometimes just shut up and let the DJ their music (this counts even double at own produced tracks to see how the crowd reacts).

And then you have the flip side, basically just the MC that can't shut up and really "raps" absolute downright perplex bewildering bullshit at high volume for literally HOURS and hours long. "BATADBABABDBATBABTBTATTBABTBATBABTBABBAT", etc. These seem to be popular in the dnb scene. I

I haven't seen many good MC's myself, but I know they're out there.

Doppelganger
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
And then you have the flip side, basically just the MC that can't shut up and really "raps" absolute downright perplex bewildering bullshit at high volume for literally HOURS and hours long. "BATADBABABDBATBABTBTATTBABTBATBABTBABBAT", etc. These seem to be popular in the dnb scene.

That's pretty much 95% of the MC's in the dnb scene. Hate most MC's as most come across as quite arrogant. They have degraded so many recorded sets for me. Skibadee and GQ are my two most hated. Back when jungle started the MC's didn't really matter they were just the "side". Now some consider themselves the main course or equal to the DJ, which in my eyes in wrong.

I haven't seen many good MC's myself, but I know they're out there.

I would pay to see an asthmatic MC, now that you'll never see! :smash:

DTR
08-03-2012, 01:13 PM
As far as my experience goes in mixing at gigs there are 2 kinds of MC's: the one that tries and keeps the audience energetic through his voice and "merges" the audience as a whole rather than having random different groups within the audience (put yo hands up, when i say this, you say that, etc.). It gives the crowd a feeling they are as a whole rather than a group of individuals. In my opinion, these are the good MC's. They are not overwhelming and respectful in such a sense they sometimes just shut up and let the DJ their music (this counts even double at own produced tracks to see how the crowd reacts).

And then you have the flip side, basically just the MC that can't shut up and really "raps" absolute downright perplex bewildering bullshit at high volume for literally HOURS and hours long. "BATADBABABDBATBABTBTATTBABTBATBABTBABBAT", etc. These seem to be popular in the dnb scene.

That's pretty much 95% of the MC's in the dnb scene. Hate most MC's as most come across as quite arrogant....... Now some consider themselves the main course or equal to the DJ, which in my eyes in wrong.

This sums up my opinion of MCs. A good MC compliments the music. Poor MCs (and they seem to be the majority) want to be the centre of attention. It gets my back up when I hear the big name MCs demanding more volume on the mic. I've heard them backchat the DJ because he didn't rewind the tune staright away when they called for it. I've even seen Det walk over to the decks and spin a tune back himself. Having said that, I'd let Det do whatever he wants, he's a scary f*cker.

Stamina is what I call a good MC...

SOruqzEI6Mo

Flacito
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
This sums up my opinion of MCs. A good MC compliments the music. Poor MCs (and they seem to be the majority) want to be the centre of attention. It gets my back up when I hear the big name MCs demanding more volume on the mic. I've heard them backchat the DJ because he didn't rewind the tune staright away when they called for it. I've even seen Det walk over to the decks and spin a tune back himself. Having said that, I'd let Det do whatever he wants, he's a scary f*cker.

Stamina is what I call a good MC...

Yes, he is alright. Here would be an example of an MC that can't shut up and let people enjoy the music, because that's why they're here in the first place, right? I mean, I dare to bet my money that most of the people are there not because they see a big MC name, but rather, a DJ name.

God, I just can't stop annoying myself. It's a surprise but I could actually understand some of the rabbling he spits out. Hear the MC around 9:50 and he continues this on for like 20 seconds, says: "Why you trying to mess with me? You got a deathwish?" No, I got a shut the fuck up wish. And I'm not trying to mess with you.

Although the MC and the whole atmosphere with the bald english-man with caps on kinda fits the whole situation, it's not something I want my money to go if I'd pay to see this set in a club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9mzJO5nK7k&feature=relmfu

Flacito
08-03-2012, 02:14 PM
ACTUALLY SCRAP THAT VIDEO I JUST POSTED. Please listen to this at 20:00. This is EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT: "BATBABATBBBTBBTBTBBTBTBBAT PRRRRRRRR! JDASBDIABJIDBASIIKSBAABABABABTBATBBBTBTB" PRR!

What the actual fuck? Let the man just play his music. Also what happens at 37:30 is totally disdained and arrogant, the MC should get a smack on the face for that. He blandly backspinned the CDJ. Is this what you meant DTR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnCzTgJj12A&feature=relmfu

DTR
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I dare to bet my money that most of the people are there not because they see a big MC name, but rather, a DJ name.

God, I just can't stop annoying myself. It's a surprise but I could actually understand some of the rabbling he spits out. Hear the MC around 9:50 and he continues this on for like 20 seconds, says: "Why you trying to mess with me? You got a deathwish?" No, I got a shut the fuck up wish. And I'm not trying to mess with you.

That video, music and MCing is typical of the British dnb scene. I'm afraid that many people do go to see the big MC rather than the DJ. A few years ago one of the biggest events over here was MC Convention :freak: I hate the whole "gangsta" mentality too, it's jarring. I hope things are better on your side of the North Sea.

Doppelganger
08-04-2012, 01:57 AM
ACTUALLY SCRAP THAT VIDEO I JUST POSTED. Please listen to this at 20:00. This is EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT: "BATBABATBBBTBBTBTBBTBTBBAT PRRRRRRRR! JDASBDIABJIDBASIIKSBAABABABABTBATBBBTBTB" PRR!

What the actual fuck? Let the man just play his music. Also what happens at 37:30 is totally disdained and arrogant, the MC should get a smack on the face for that. He blandly backspinned the CDJ. Is this what you meant DTR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnCzTgJj12A&feature=relmfu

:facepalm:

That's really bad overall.

The Blackest
08-04-2012, 05:43 AM
Yeah I prefer to hear an MC hyping up the crowd and spittin a few good bars then knowing when to shut up and let the track play. I find it amazing with all of the comments I see on different forums that MCs like Skiba and the example above are more popular than DRS, Conrad and Stamina. I remember hearing a tune on a Grooverider mix and the MC totally ruined the tune. I also don't understand how some djs don't turn off the mic on the mixer or something. I've shut down plenty of MCs during my set. Yes it is rude to the MC, but I'm not about to have my set ruined.

Other than DRS, Conrad and Stamina, I like Daddy Earl, SP:MC, Armani Reign, Sharpness and I can sometimes stand GQ and Fats. The rest try to sound like Skiba/Fearless/Stevie Hyper D.

dlove
08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
some of it's wicked tho ;)

3vcf-cdVgcg

Mahatma Coat
08-04-2012, 09:11 AM
MCs can be complete cunts, but on the other hand, when you're in a sweaty rave full of 8000 speed addicted northern scallies it kind of just goes with the whole vibe. Old school drum and bass wouldn't be what it is without some aggressive monkey screaming "rewind" or "where's all the horns crew?" all over the records

MC Conrad was always a decent MC imo, though he doesn't seem to freestyle that much, its more reciting poems over drum & bass beats

2D24Epb2lZc&feature

The Blackest
08-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Conrad back in the day is different from the current one. I have a 93(I think?) mix w/ him and LTJ and he is LOUD on it. Still dope though

myndgruv
10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
I have had the pleasure of Booking Sharpness MC twice a few years back. Once with DJ craze and once with Mason (of gasm recordings). Super nice and down to earth on top of being an amazing MC. I was a hip hop head LONG before i was into Drum n Bass so the UK guys just make my ears bleed. I like a lot of the US guy sand IMO Armanni and Sharpness are right up at the top of that list.

Connor
10-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I like MCs in hardcore a lot, never heard one in dnb.

mars.shosh1n
10-12-2012, 10:11 AM
I like MCs in hardcore a lot, never heard one in dnb.

Huh, you don't listen to much drum'n'bass I take it?

Sixfour
10-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I've seen 4 dnb mc's so far
Verse with Pendulum (band) and he was pretty decent, kept the energy high without talking too much over
MC ID with Sub Focus - was excellent, shut his trap for most of the set and when he did speak it was well thought out and not annoying
GQ with andy c - have a burning dislike for GQ after this set, he never shut the fuck up and i couldn't even hear the music because his mic was so high
Armanni Reign with andy c - excellent MC, well thought out verses coupled with a good feel for the crowd and when to speak and not speak