PDA

View Full Version : Beatmatching using "one cup in ear" method, i just can't get it right!

Matt Lillz
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok guys,

I started DJing in january 2011, and by now I am fairly good at beatmatching tracks...but that's when I have both tracks coming through my headphones.
I know there are some mixers that don't support this function, so I'm trying to learn beatmatching with one track in the headphones and the song that's playing through the speakers... but I just can't get it right. I'm almost completely lost using this technique, but when I go back to the old one with both tracks in the headphones, I almost immediately hear and understand what should be tweaked. When having only one track going through the headphones, it feels like I'm just guessing, no matter how hard i try to concentrate.
I mean, you'd think after learning to beatmatch one way, you should be able to beatmatch any way, but it doesn't seem so when i try. This is really frustrating for me as I finally thought I could stop focusing on learning beatmatching and instead focusing on something more advanced, but i guess not....

Any thoughts or enlightening words on this? Thanks.

Sigma
08-03-2012, 10:00 AM
There's not a lot that can be said to help you here man. All I can say is make sure you've got decent headphones so that you can hear through the one ear cup clearly, and also experiment with different headphone volumes (don't turn them up too loud though or you may damage your hearing in the long term).

Obviously, the actual core technique is no different, so it just comes down to practice.

Hausgeist
08-03-2012, 10:08 AM
it just comes down to practice.

This. There is no way around it.

Matt Lillz
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
This was what I thought myself, but I guess I just had to "make sure". I'm a lazy bastard what can I say. :)

But thanks for the answers!

Mrspyaman
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Just checking, Are the monitors facing you and is there anything in their signal path that would create a delay?

TheRabbitMonk
08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
try this mate, i just have my headphones round my neck and then i turn the volume up. personally i find it difficult with the headphones on my head with one ear covered. but this works a treat for me. Give it rry and let us know

Matt Lillz
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Yes & no. :)

I'll be sure to test that trick man!

g-sep
08-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I use the one cup method, but I have it slightly towards the back of my ear, so the track that's playing out leaks in through that ear also.

JackStalk
08-03-2012, 12:05 PM
It takes a LOT of practice to become really familiar with it. I still prefer mixing 100% through the headphones. I have been working on [practicing DJing without headphones because it looks awesome.

Ocie
08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I use the one cup method, but I have it slightly towards the back of my ear, so the track that's playing out leaks in through that ear also.

I'll do this fairly often, or just have one of the cups completely covering my ear.

Just keep at it. I guess you just need to focus on hearing both tracks when they come from different sources. You'll get it man.

dj daywalker
08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I have both earcups on. NOT split cue though. I do mess with the cue and master levels in the headphones though. By playing them both in the phones its really easy to tell of its perfectly beatmatched

Era 7
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
i got used to it. i'll admit though that it takea a fair amount of practice to get it right.

sense
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
make sure either source is not drowning the other out ( headphone - monitor). you want to create a stereo image. monitor should be close facing the open ear. make sure headphone volume sounds level with the monitor to create the stereo effect.

DJArmani
08-05-2012, 01:26 AM
I still use both sides. Sometimes I'll do like one side half off if I know it's right and I just wanna check the transition.

nevin
08-05-2012, 08:05 AM
It takes a LOT of practice to become really familiar with it. I still prefer mixing 100% through the headphones. I have been working on [practicing DJing without headphones because it looks awesome.

How is DJing without headphones even possible? I mesn Without onscreen wave forms as a visual cue...

JackStalk
08-05-2012, 01:44 PM
How is DJing without headphones even possible? I mesn Without onscreen wave forms as a visual cue...

It's very possible, especially if you know your tracks well. I don't use a laptop with waveforms, just CDJ's by ear like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iTAs7B7tBw

Also, if you have a pre-practiced vinyl set you can do it without headphones like A-Trak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NidL7KtCO8

I'm far from their level, but I am practicing to work without headphones. It's fun and a lot more challenging for me.

bobbyd
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I have never liked "mixing in the headphones" I have always just used the "cue" to get a track ready.

But, I always owned very low end mixers so that I wouldn't expect special features when I showed up at the club.

You just need to stop using the mix in the headphones.

I had a radio station gig for a few years, and the mixing board at that place was set up so that once you turned the sound up at all, the signal was moved out of cue - so you couldn't hear it out of the headphones/cue speaker. That got me used to doing some ghetto style mixing.

Also, you can mix without headphones, but it will be a little rough at first - I have had to do it. Knowing the BPM range of your tracks help, but you end up having to scratch in each song, or put your ear next to the needle - can't do that with a cd player or DVS.