PDA

View Full Version : Need new transitions on a digital setup?

Falxon
08-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Okay, so I'm a pretty new DJ, I have a Reloop Digital Jockey 2 Master Edition, running into Traktor Pro 2, but the only techniques I know / actively use are either slowly fading between tracks or suddenly slamming the cross fader to one side (although I use this a lot less). I normally cut the bass of the track I'm fading in and then I bring it up as I fade out the bass of the track already playing and then transition like that...

Would ideally like to learn some scratching or anything else to make my mix's sound more professional but am not really sure where to start D:

Typically I would be playing either 128bpm electro house / dance music, or 140bpm dubstep (Either more 'traditional' dubstep such as Skream etc, or Complextro, dependant on the crowd)

Where should I start? /derp Thanks!

(Also, I have been reading through a couple of threads, such as Sigma's beginner guide to scratching, but I wasn't sure if it would work particularly well on a digital setup?)

Also, wondering if I've been beatmatching correctly, typically I would make sure they're the same bpm (not hard, using traktor, but I don't use the sync button, only the reading which tells me the bpm), then I would have the track I'm cueing up playing through my headphones, find the first kick / beat / whatever of the song I'm planning on fading in, have the jog wheels set to scratch, press play and do baby scratches through the headphones, in time with the song already playing, and then release it when it's in time (And then fine tune how in time it is with the tempo fader)... Is this the 'standard' way a DJ would typically cue up a record? Thanks!

akswun
08-03-2012, 08:28 AM
IMO... I wouldn't look to scratching in tracks that are 128 or electro house/ dance and what not... what you should be looking at is using the effects of traktor. Filters and so on and so on. Leave the scratching for a time when you are more experienced. Don't get me wrong, practice it, it can work but takes a lot of skill to really get it down. But avoid it at this time because scratching at 128 can sound really really really bad, especially if you're not that great.
Oh and plan your transitions either 4 or 8 or 16 or 32 beats ahead of the drop (for electro/dance)

Falxon
08-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Currently trying to get a dubstep set down, 140bpm, what would be the best way to transition dubstep generally?