PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on a rack mount mixer.

Adam B
08-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone,

The other day I started thinking to myself that I don't have a back up mixer and I should probably get one. Right now I DJ weddings and some dances, I am not a club DJ. I currently have a Denon DN-X500, which works well for me but I was thinking of turning that into my back up. I would really like to stick to a rack mount mixer even though I know rack mounts aren't the preferred mixers for DJs. I know there are more expensive rack mounts than the DN-X500, this may be a stupid question, but what are the big benifits of upgrading to something more expensive? I would like to keep it around the $1000 mark or under. What do you guys recommend, I honestly don't know too much about mixers.

I just use virtual DJ, I try and keep it simple. But I am open to anything, sometimes learning some more "fun" stuff isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for any help.

Adam

Estacy
08-01-2012, 04:36 PM
the x500 is a really decent mixer btw. But spending more means equipment that: is of higher quality, has more features, higher resale value, more in and outputs etc etc.

Adam B
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks Estacy,

I wanted to ad that btw. The mixer has worked well for me and I am debating if it is worth spending more money to get something of "higher quality" or just possibly purchase another x500, and just have one for back up. This also might be a really dumb ?, but will the sound quality be any better on a higher end mixer?

Adam

drzinc
08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Is your mixer doing everything you want? Does it sound good? If you answer yes to these questions you do not need a new mixer right now. How are you using VDJ? are you using some sort of controller and a sound card or timecode and a sound card?

Adam B
08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
It does sound good. I am just thinking of purchasing another mixer to either replace my current and keep the current as a back up, or purchase a new one just for back up. I would hate to be at an event and my mixer would take act up. I just thought about asking if it is possibly worth to look into a different mixer possibly if I was to spend the money. But I do have to say the X500 has worked well for me.

I am just hooking up my laptop to the mixer, and hooking the speakers up to the mixer. Is this bad? My speakers are the QSC HPR line, so they are all active. I am not using any kind of controller with VDJ and I am not using any kind of external soundcard. Should I be running an external soundcard? All my comps I am using have higher end sound cards, but maybe that doesn't mean anything???

Adam

drzinc
08-01-2012, 05:55 PM
What I would invest in is a controller for VDJ . Get one with a built in sound interface. Hercules (http://www.hercules.com/us/DJ-Music/bdd/p/141/dj-console-4-mx/), Numark (http://www.numark.com/product/n4) and Denon (http://usa.d-mpro.com/us/denondj/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=Controllers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=MC3000) makes fine controllers with built in sound cards. All will work with Virtual DJ and all are built well.

JamminDownJD
08-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Honestly, the only 19" mixers considered to be an upgrade after the DN-X500 is the Denon DN-X900 and the Pioneer DJM-5000. The DJM-5000 has a MIDI-assignable crossfader and a rather cool booth send, but it is a whopping 5U+ because you need to make sure you have room for the cables in back. The Denon DN-X900 and the DN-X500 share many of the same features and are both 4U. The DN-X900 has digital ins and outs, plus extra zone outputs.

Really, the DN-X500 is built like a rock, and the upfaders and crossfader are removable and replaceable. Denon has a home office in Chicago's northwest suburbs, so you could be sure that if you need parts or repair it would be rather quick. If the DN-X500 is working well for you, then that is great.

But if you really want to upgrade, then I would consider the Denon DN-MC6000. Rack-mountable, MADE for Virtual DJ, can be used as an analog mixer, and can support four decks. It could be had for $800 or even less.

Adam B
08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Adam

bobbyd
08-10-2012, 06:06 AM
I have to say there are some other rack mount upgrades - the Rane MP25 or 26 are pretty nice mixers:
http://www.rane.com/mp25.html

My opinion is though - that I wouldn't be doing gigs on a mixer I was nervous about.

Also, if you are doing most of your djing on your laptop, technically you could bypass your mixer and hook up right to the amps from the laptop in an emergency situation.

sss18734
08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I always carry a backup mixer, but it's just a little Behringer Xenyx. I've never had a close call with my mixer... nor do you almost ever hear of one randomly failing mid-set - even the cheap units.

Since you're just using the mixer for playback at weddings, I'd encourage you to just buy a small, portable backup, and spend that money elsewhere.

JamminDownJD
08-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Totally forgot about the Rane mixers. Tough and durable!