PDA

View Full Version : cant decide what to upgrade to... a little help?

Archon
08-01-2012, 01:29 PM
hey, so i've got a Mixdeck, and it works great. i havent outgrown it yet, but i can do just about everything that it offers. i also just really feel the itch to get more professional gear. now, i've been really drooling over some 1200s and SSL, but i dont really know how much money we're talking. im a Prog. House DJ mainly, and i dont do anything super advanced. i've tried scratching multiple times, i've watched a youtube tutorial for an hour and a half of a basic scratch (not the baby scratch, the next step up. forget what it's caled.) and fucking failed so hard. i even had my friend cameron who used to use techs try to teach me to scratch and i couldn't figure it out, so i wont be doing any of that, but i love the look and feel of spinning platters and real vinyl. that being said, i dont have a laptop of my own. so i would need to buy one of those, and i dont have SSL.
i was also looking at some Denon CDJs with the spinning function. i like the 3700s but i dont want to pay that big price tag (even though i buy everything off of Craig's list, its still expensive because they are currently in production.) i know they have an older version of those, but i cant find what they're called. i also hate the feel of the buttons on those. i was looking at CDJ850/1000s and a mixer but idk which one over those to buy, mk1 mk2 or mk3? im not really up to date on pioneer stuff, and i dont know what mixer to buy. i dont really want a 4 deck mixer since i dont think ill ever use that. i need the CDJs to take a flash drive and work fine without a computer, have a BPM counter (Dont hate. im not a pro.) and a hot cue function. fx are nice, but not really needed.
so bottom line, what should i buy, and how much am i looking at?

thanks so much!

Andrew B
08-01-2012, 01:41 PM
The 3700s are discontinued, having been replaced by the 3900s. They also recently introduced the SC2900.

My view is that if you want a spinning platter, then get turntables. While Denon's media players are a reasonable facsimile, they simply don't work the same as vinyl on a turntable.

As for CDJs, there's only one version of 850s. Keep in mind that all versions of the 1000s only play CDs, so judging by what you want, they're eliminated from contention. You might want to take a look at CDJ-350s if you want something at a lower price than 850s.

Also keep in mind that there are plenty of great turntables out there that cost less than 1200s.

Mixer-wise, you'll really have to decide what features you want before you start getting recommendations.

Archon
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
would have done the 350s but they dont have hot cue :(

Andrew B
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
would have done the 350s but they dont have hot cue :(

Ah, yes. I believe that eliminates every CDJ but the 2000, then.

The alternative is using software with them.

Archon
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
WHAT?!?! THATS RIDICULOUS! denon it is! how much should i pay for two used 3700s and what mixer should i get?

bumpyjonas
08-01-2012, 04:50 PM
You can get the Denon 3700's used for a fairly cheap price on eBay people are trying to offload them since the new model is out.