PDA

View Full Version : Why on earth are Pioneer DJM's like this?

Ryan Ruel
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm used to mixing on my Rane and A+H mixers, but now I have a DJM-900 as my portable mixer.

Why on earth is the cue/masters knobs "master" side post-master fader? I was playing on a system yesterday where the master out didn't need to be very high at all, which meant that I wasn't able to hear basically anything if I tried to blend in the master. I can still mix just fine one ear, or split cue, but usually i like to test out my blends by fading in the master.

I wish there was a setting for this. Unless I'm doing something stupid.

Buszaj
07-31-2012, 01:31 PM
I know what you mean, it get's quite annoying. I find I'm always pushing my master into the mid-high yellow's to get my preferred cueing level. I don't know of any way to get around this.

Nick Bike
07-31-2012, 02:34 PM
use a monitor

bobbyd
07-31-2012, 03:43 PM
I have never been a fan of Pioneer - so I don't have any thing helpful to say about it.

Dj Pudgey
07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
use a monitor

what he said!

DJNR
07-31-2012, 06:49 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can't hear the master when cueing because the master volume is too low, right? If thats the case, run the master higher and just turn down your PA.

Marc S
07-31-2012, 07:03 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can't hear the master when cueing because the master volume is too low, right? If thats the case, run the master higher and just turn down your PA.

for that to make the cue/master levels balanced you'd need to redline the living piss out the master, its not an ideal solution.

Ryan Ruel
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
what he said!

Of course you use monitors when available. That's not an excuse for the poor design choice. Blending in the master is just another tool to use in mixing.

As for adjusting the pa, often as a dj you don't have access to the pa controls. And as stated, at the clubs I've played at if you turned the master up to proper cue level using this system, the club would be wayyyy too loud.

DJNR
07-31-2012, 08:24 PM
for that to make the cue/master levels balanced you'd need to redline the living piss out the master, its not an ideal solution.

Maybe if you're deaf. My 900 is so fucking loud on the master cue just at 0DB.

B3NNY
07-31-2012, 08:52 PM

You actually just need to match the master volume VU peaks w/ the your channel VU meter and keep the master/cue mix knob in dead center(even mix) (assuming you run your channel faders all the way up otherwise you need to compensate and actually lower the peak read out on the Master VU).

The solution to the problem is to leave the master cue off and forget about it, and just cue the channels individually that you are blending. I agree though, seems pretty stupid to me too

Blueprint
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm still not quite sure what the problem is.. you're basically mixing in reverse, listening to the master as you blend in your track which you perceive to be beatmatched already, right?

If that's the case, then have the knob all the way to the right on the master and as it comes in, you'll hear it mixing in. When on the far right, the master channel will be the loudest but if cue'd channel is not loud enough while listening, you can move the knob to the left to even it out.

This is all non-sense though, there's like three different ways to mix a track on a djm, if you can't mix with three options, you probably need to spend more time practicing since most mixers don't have more than two options.

B3NNY
07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm still not quite sure what the problem is.. you're basically mixing in reverse, listening to the master as you blend in your track which you perceive to be beatmatched already, right?

If you have a 900 then set your master output low (like his was) and then cue your master and another channel your trying to mix in. You'll see what he's talking about

Estacy
08-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Ecler got it perfectly right in my opinion, a pfl/master knob, but no PFL on the master channel, just on the channels. when you turn the pfl/master knob to master, you hear the master regardless of the volume setting on the master. Works like a charm, on every possible volume level.

Adzm00
08-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Eh. Just use the mxing knob and turn it further towards master rather than cue?

Ryan Ruel
08-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Ecler got it perfectly right in my opinion, a pfl/master knob, but no PFL on the master channel, just on the channels. when you turn the pfl/master knob to master, you hear the master regardless of the volume setting on the master. Works like a charm, on every possible volume level.

My Rane does this as well, as did my prior Xone 92 and Xone 3D and Denon DN-X1500. I've used a lot of mixers!

It's not that there aren't other ways to mix, I don't need a cue/master blend knob to mix very well, I've been doing it for a "few" years :lol:

I guess I can see that they were probably trying to let you hear if the track you were cueing was basically on the same level as what was outputting the mixer. It's just that in reality, you don't run the master out at 0Db and adjust the outboard gear, particularly in a club. The amps and processing is almost always locked away.

They should have added in a setting, or a switch. Particularly on the DJM-900 where the mixer is one giant DSP.

I actually didn't even think to cue up both the channels as an alternative, and use the gain trims to basically do the same thing.

It's still a stupid design :)

punky
08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
I know what you mean, it get's quite annoying. I find I'm always pushing my master into the mid-high yellow's to get my preferred cueing level. I don't know of any way to get around this.

Yeah, I agree with the OP. This is pants on head wrong, and the DJM is the only mixer I've ever used that does things this way.

monomer
08-01-2012, 11:46 PM

THIS.

First thing I noticed.

Not a fan of pioneer of a&h.

Adzm00
08-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Thing that annoys me most is having the FX loop on the FX selection knob.

What tit thought that was a good idea? So how am I supposed to route my EFX1000?

I know I can put it on to the master, which is pointless as it cannot be used on individual channels and it will not be picked up through the record out. Height of stupidity.

Ryan Ruel
08-09-2012, 09:30 AM
How is this a problem?

You have your EFX-1000 connected to the DJM send/return, then to use the EFX-1000 you select the send/return with the effects selection knob, and use the effects assign knob to assign it to an individual channel or the master. You can leave the wet knob on the EFX-1000 set to full on wet and use the wet/dry on the DJM.

What am I missing? Or do you mean you want to use the EFX-1000 AND the DJM-900's effect at the same time? I can see that being annoying. Although effectively using both could be interesting :) At least you can still use the color FX.

Thing that annoys me most is having the FX loop on the FX selection knob.

What tit thought that was a good idea? So how am I supposed to route my EFX1000?

I know I can put it on to the master, which is pointless as it cannot be used on individual channels and it will not be picked up through the record out. Height of stupidity.

Adzm00
08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Or do you mean you want to use the EFX-1000 AND the DJM-900's effect at the same time?

That is exactly what I mean.

Ryan Ruel
08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
That is exactly what I mean.

Buy two DJM's :)

Adzm00
08-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Bwahaha :)