PDA

View Full Version : Anyone powder coat their turntables?

swine
07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
So I've tried painting my 1200s several times and the finish is not what I want. Ive spent hours and hours sanding and really just cant be bothered at this point.

Im taking them to a powder coating shop and wanted to know if there is anything I should be telling them in terms of handeling ect. For instance I'd imagine I don't want any threads for the tone arm or screws painted over.

Is it ok to paint over where the heat sink goes as long as I re-apply the heat paste?

cheers

Nicadraus
07-30-2012, 08:04 PM
The surface to be powder coated has to be scraped to metal before doing this procedure. If the powercoating company does the scraping, then you're in luck because some of them would require you to do the scraping before bringing them the item(s) to be powder coated. If you're planning to have the tone arm section powder coated as well, then you will have to disassemble it and scrape the paint to metal too. In re-building it, PM me and I will walk you through it. The heatsink is also ok to be painted and just apply thermal paste after. :)

swine
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks Nicadraus! I've rebuilt two before and remember the threads being a pain to match up.

Yeah One place is JUST powdercoating and the other place hasnt given me a quote on powder coating and sand/media blasting.

Do you know if any of these methods screw up the threads?

Nicadraus
07-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks Nicadraus! I've rebuilt two before and remember the threads being a pain to match up.

Yeah One place is JUST powdercoating and the other place hasnt given me a quote on powder coating and sand/media blasting.

Do you know if any of these methods screw up the threads?

The threads can't and must not be painted nor sand blasted. Secure them with masking tape. :)

VjQue
07-31-2012, 02:08 AM
make sure to tell them to cover up the screw holes and to primer it too.

Synergy
07-31-2012, 02:26 AM
i tried to get mine powder coated, please help with a location! and price?

swine
07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone. rep all around.

Nicadraus, I know that you painted the platter yourself in lots of your beautiful restorations/mods. If I powder coated the platter and then sanded off so the dots were visible would these still leave a good layer for slip mats?

Nicadraus
08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks everyone. rep all around.

Nicadraus, I know that you painted the platter yourself in lots of your beautiful restorations/mods. If I powder coated the platter and then sanded off so the dots were visible would these still leave a good layer for slip mats?

Yes it should still be good with slip mats but sanding powder coated paint is a pain to do. The paint is very, very hard to sand off and just be careful by not chipping them too because once it does, it's a domino effect on powder coated paints. But overall, it's doable.

:)

VjQue
08-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Its better to just paint the platter and not powder coater it.

Like stated sanding powder-coat is not easy and can chip as its baked on and is like 1 piece.

I do powder coating and I wouldn't recommend doing the platter.