PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Fixing to wall

roy rohypnol
07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
HI DJF,

Needs some advice, just moved into a new pad and I need to fix my decks to the corner of a room with solid walls. Im going to fix them in the corner of a room on a slab of wood measured to size however, obviously two technics and a mixer is quite heavy.

My question

What depth should the screws be to hold the weight?
What width should the screws be at least min to max?
How many screw holes per corner?
Any recommendatations on the length of the elbow brackets?

Is there anything Im missing?

Many thanks :)

Sigma
07-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Can you not put the slab of wood on top of something? Record racks for instance? Then you would only need to secure it to the wall for stability's sake, rather than to actually support the weight. I would be too worried about the whole lot collapsing otherwise, although I'm sure with big brackets and long enough screws it could be done.

Manu
07-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Talk about a piece of string :D

+1 of having some support underneath instead of fixing on the wall. You're talking about 100 pounds-ish, but if you really want to fix it on a wall, I would suggest to cut some wood triangles and add accordingly between the slab and the wall. That way you get additional support, just add on your list as it will require a few more screws..

djlotus
07-28-2012, 02:21 PM
All screws and anchors are rated on their ability to support weight. Just go to your hardware store and find some that are rated at 200% of your average load per square foot and support every 12". Honestly what you are talking about more depends on the material an build quality of the shelf itself. The screws and anchors hold the supports to the wall. What will be holding your shelf to the supports?

JackStalk
07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
This is the strongest design I've seen. A lot of bars have them because they're collapsible and some are even strong enough to stand on.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/products/norbo-wall-mounted-drop-leaf-table__16990_PE101319_S4.jpg

roy rohypnol
07-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks Guys!! Definately some food for thought :)

nabjab
07-29-2012, 11:59 PM
All screws and anchors are rated on their ability to support weight. Just go to your hardware store and find some that are rated at 200% of your average load per square foot and support every 12". Honestly what you are talking about more depends on the material an build quality of the shelf itself. The screws and anchors hold the supports to the wall. What will be holding your shelf to the supports?

Slight modification to your numbers. bump 12" up to 16" so you are drilling directly into the studs of the wall (im assuming you aren't in a 100 year old plaster building. You wont have to use wall anchors or anything of the sort sense you are drilling into solid wood. Use "small" lag screws. Bump 200% up to 300% OR remember people will lean on this so you "average load" needs to incorporate the weight of large people.

My dad did this with all of audiophile equipment when he was a "young lad" he had a reel to reel deck (~ 4000 lbs (to a 9 year old)), a dual tape deck (30 lbs), a turntable, a receiver, an equalizer, and a few other things.

He ran 1X2s "ledger board" along both walls and bolted them to the studs. then he laid the shelf on the ledger boards and screwed it down every few inches. For additional support he ran a 1X2 down the middle of the LONG axis and along the front edge and the short edge to add rigidity to the shelf.

The last thing he did was the kicker. (this is where you can get creative) He anchored a hanger into the ceiling right above the floating corner and ran it down to the shelves and wrapped it around a screw head on the edge of the shelf. You can mimic that by running a wire up the wall anchored about 1.5 times the depth of your shelf. Or you can get a sturdy metal L bracket that will support the shelf about 3/4 the depth of the shelf from the wall.

HI DJF,

Needs some advice, just moved into a new pad and I need to fix my decks to the corner of a room with solid walls. Im going to fix them in the corner of a room on a slab of wood measured to size however, obviously two technics and a mixer is quite heavy.

My question

Many thanks :)

Probably wont need anything more than 3/8 lag screws that are 4-4.5 inches long in every stud (making sure you end on a stud for proper end support)

3/4 the depth of your shelf to counter and over turning moments you might create leaning on the edge of the shelf

Goggle "ledger board"

use 2X4's as ledger boards with 2 3/8 x 4 lag screw on each stud (1.5 inch of ledger boards - 0.5 of drywall - 2 inches of screw in wall stud (dont go much longer then this as you might POP out the other side of the wall)

The shelf should be at least 1/2" thick, but no thicker then 1"

If you use Particle board (which is piss ass strong) Cover it in a water proof veneer as it will soak up a cup of water in a matter of minutes and loose its strength.

That turned out being pretty long. Just wanted to get you on the right foot

Disclaimer: my degree tells me this should work, my experience tells me this will work, my lawyer has no record of this conversation happening :lol:

Windows 95
07-30-2012, 12:22 AM
He ran 1X2s "ledger board" along both walls and bolted them to the studs. then he laid the shelf on the ledger boards and screwed it down every few inches.This is how you hang kitchen cabinets. Which if they are made of wood, are already pretty heavy. Add all the canned goods & stacks of glassware people put in them & you're looking at a lot of weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhlLpG4zbAI

roy rohypnol
08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey thanks guys, seriously good info there :)

DTR
08-02-2012, 10:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhlLpG4zbAI

That's pretty much how I made the shelves in my shed. The deeper the ledger boards are, the more rigid the top will be. Within reason the thickness of the ledger board doesn't matter so much. For example, a 2x4 on edge will be stiffer than a 3x3, despite having a smaller cross-section.

Windows 95
08-02-2012, 11:26 AM
If you go to your local lumberyard you can tell them you are making shelves, so you want something that looks nice. They have plywood that stains & varnishes up pretty nicely.
Also for the support legs you can use 2" x 36" dowels or 2" x 48" dowels.

DTR
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
^^^ If you go with plywood you'll want to cover the edges somehow. Plywood edges are ugly, especially when it's full of voids like a lot of ply these days. When I last used plywood for shelves I glued a strip of real wood to the edge then planed it down flush.

Windows 95
08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Good idea. You could use 2" x 3" for under the outer edge. And glue 1" x 4" wood along the three outside edges.

nabjab
08-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Any pictures of the progress of this?

I'm curious to see what you've created

roy rohypnol
08-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, definately.

Spent all weekend sorting it out and its pretty much finished, im so happy with the results, will definately be posting pics soon, it looks fantastic!!! Thanks for the interest.