PDA

View Full Version : $400 burning a hole in my pocket

DJ Higgumz
07-27-2012, 10:56 PM
after working at germanfest I'm going to have a little over $400 (or more!) to spend on equipment. that isn't including light bulbs and haze fluid, I'm getting that too. so I will have 4 BRIGHT roboscan 812s, 2 cx2 color changers, and 2 moonlights, and my lemaitre xs. now, I'm looking at dmxing and some uplighting/par cans. I'm looking for some recomended pars for a budget, I don't mind a gamble with chinese lights.

1. how do par 38s work, and what is the maximum ceiling height?
2. would it be better to invest in some led panel lights instead, for the industrial look; Instead of 4 little pars have 2 washes on the dancefloor instead of uplighting?
3. looking at the entec open since I have a beefy computer and don't worry about speed issues, yay or nay?
4. Is it cost effective to buy dmx cable by the roll and make my own or just order the sizes? running a 40ft maximum.
5. are there any other lights that have priority over pars? How are liquid effect projectors? worth it for coctail hour?

quite a mouthful, answer what you can :tup:

Nick_EventPro
07-28-2012, 12:39 AM
after working at germanfest I'm going to have a little over $400 (or more!) to spend on equipment. that isn't including light bulbs and haze fluid, I'm getting that too. so I will have 4 BRIGHT roboscan 812s, 2 cx2 color changers, and 2 moonlights, and my lemaitre xs. now, I'm looking at dmxing and some uplighting/par cans. I'm looking for some recomended pars for a budget, I don't mind a gamble with chinese lights.

1. how do par 38s work, and what is the maximum ceiling height?
2. would it be better to invest in some led panel lights instead, for the industrial look; Instead of 4 little pars have 2 washes on the dancefloor instead of uplighting?
3. looking at the entec open since I have a beefy computer and don't worry about speed issues, yay or nay?
4. Is it cost effective to buy dmx cable by the roll and make my own or just order the sizes? running a 40ft maximum.
5. are there any other lights that have priority over pars? How are liquid effect projectors? worth it for coctail hour?

quite a mouthful, answer what you can :tup:

1. For what? uplighting? Halogen or LED? Par 38's work for their intended applications. Halogen 38's work fine for uplighting with the right lamp. Maximum throw distances depend on what they are lamped with.
2. What kind of events are you doing? If you have the type of events where uplights are popular, they probably offer your biggest ROI.
3. The enttec ODE is great. I have one. ODE=open dmx ethernet. So you set up an artnet network and run DMX over ethernet cable... many advantages to this.
4. Yes, in bulk. for 40 ft. no. I'd just buy it.
5. IMO, no. Liquid effect projectors can look cool-ish. Wash, then effects, and you've already got alot of effects. IMO, you wont sell it enough to really have it pay for itself.

If you have any other questions just let me know! I can hook you up with whatever you need.

DJ Higgumz
07-28-2012, 08:06 AM
1. For what? uplighting? Halogen or LED? Par 38's work for their intended applications. Halogen 38's work fine for uplighting with the right lamp. Maximum throw distances depend on what they are lamped with.

no LED, sorry I thought lamps were outdated.

What kind of events are you doing? If you have the type of events where uplights are popular, they probably offer your biggest ROI.

weddings, and hopefully moving up to school dances. In gyms I doubt I would do uplighting, just put all the pars on trees in corners because most of the time they want a rave feel, not elegant.

I forgot to mention I'd be building a facade, about how much would that cost?

Synaxis
07-28-2012, 10:05 AM
I forgot to mention I'd be building a facade, about how much would that cost?

Depends on how large of a facade. I spent around $150 on my 3' x 4' one.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?11203-Built-a-Small-Facade

Nick_EventPro
07-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I built the one in this video... cost $250

http://youtu.be/_pVcE638Kl0?hd=1

Whines
07-28-2012, 03:23 PM

The Open DMX works fine unless you have one of the fixtures that is sensative to its timing problem (like Colorstrips). Then it dosen't work very well, even on a fast computer.

DJ Higgumz
07-28-2012, 10:48 PM
alright my facade would be 38'' by maybe 20'' sides net width, about 40'' high. I have plenty of wood for the frames, paint, all I need are lift hinges and lycra or plexi. I'm more toward the latter for strength and clean up. to save money I will probably fine sand it or something to avoid the overpriced frosted stuff. and I don't want any special fx with the pars like the chasing features, just colors and strobing. my martins have a simple dmx address too.