PDA

View Full Version : Sub: Powered or Passive

DJHoss
02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I was wondering if I should get a JBL prx series powered sub, or if I should go with a crown XLS series amp and a folded horn sub such as Cerwin vega. Thoughts?

Thanks

disbjohn
02-10-2012, 11:24 PM
If you go PRX sub, get the 618S-XLF. If you go powered route, it will be easier to pack and less things to pack. The CV folded horn sub is big, bulky, and heavy and you need to bring an amp.

For mobile gigs, I would go with the powered subwoofer option or look into a lighter folded horn sub such as the JTR growler or a BFM flavor of sub.

a-mart
02-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Just bought a 618s-XLF. Love the friggin thing.

Incognito
02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Just bought a 618s-XLF. Love the friggin thing.
It's a good powered sub, not much not to like unless you end up paying too much for it but there are deals out there for them. What are you using for tops?

windspeed36
02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
The drivecore XLS is not very good for driving subs because it's a switch mode power supply. Also the CV horns in your price range dont sound the greatest and certainly aren't as good as the PRX618S-XLF.

Incognito
02-11-2012, 01:14 AM
The drivecore XLS is not very good for driving subs because it's a switch mode power supply. Also the CV horns in your price range dont sound the greatest and certainly aren't as good as the PRX618S-XLF.
It has nothing to do with an amp using switch mode alone if it is good on sub duty, actually some of the best amps on the market for subs use switch mode technology ( for that matter what power suply technology do you think car amps use?). Also CV horns of all price points have the same flaws.

a-mart
02-11-2012, 01:28 AM
It's a good powered sub, not much not to like unless you end up paying too much for it but there are deals out there for them. What are you using for tops?

Yamaha s115v for the moment

Bill Fitzmaurice
02-11-2012, 08:41 AM
I don't care for self-powered in general. There's a lack of flexibility and utility with them. They may be somewhat more convenient for newbies to deal with, but that convenience comes at a cost.

Incognito
02-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't care for self-powered in general. There's a lack of flexibility and utility with them. They may be somewhat more convenient for newbies to deal with, but that convenience comes at a cost.

I myself am on the fence on powered speakers really, if you're only into indoor wedding type gigs then powered subs (tops as well) are ideally suited. However if you're into doing gigs that have your speakers subjected to the elements, drunk people with drinks or other liquids in their hands or just plain rowdy parties (where someone may be more then likely to temper with your powered speakers settings) then passive speakers are the way to go. Either way it comes down to personal preference in my option rather then the user being a noob or not if they should choose to use powered speakers since they offer an all inclusive package that certain gigs call for. Yes they are limited in their tuning capabilities, etc. but for certain gigs I can see where it would be more practical to bring along a powered speaker system as opposed to a passive speaker system.

ampnation
02-11-2012, 07:29 PM
It depends on your tops. I would generally go with the same product line so you know they work together well without external processing and the filtering is set for optimal performance from the factory.

For instance, I've got K10's and I plan on getting kw181 subs to go with them. I currently have other options including an SRX728S but I've decided to go powered. If I had Prx tops, I would look at the Prx xlf.

deejaybman
02-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Powered speakers are convenient but come at a price. I had 2 Mackie SRM450's and the 1501 subs to go with them (before Mackie moved production to China). They were decent but I noticed that I was taking a sub or a top somewhere to get fixed for reasons like bad amps, loose transistors/capacitors etc. For small gigs like weddings, I love em but for bigger gigs, I go with passive speakers. Yes it is a lot more work but i'd rather do that and have a peace of mind than to be worried about if they'll make it thru the gig.

windspeed36
02-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I go with passive speakers. Yes it is a lot more work but i'd rather do that and have a peace of mind than to be worried about if they'll make it thru the gig.

If your speakers are decent then you shouldn't have to worry about this. Do you think that those who use JBL VERTEC DP, Meyer Sound M series or the powered EAW line arrays are constantly worrying if the speakers will last the gig?

deejaybman
02-13-2012, 12:03 AM
If you speakers are decent then you shouldn't have to worry about this. Do you think that those who use JBL VERTEC DP, Meyer Sound M series or the powered EAW line arrays are constantly worrying if the speakers will last the gig?

I thought we were talking about the average consumer level brands that you find in Sam Ash or Guitar Center. I guess I should have been a little more specific.

DJHoss
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I thought we were talking about the average consumer level brands that you find in Sam Ash or Guitar Center. I guess I should have been a little more specific.

I thought that was more professional level products. Am I missing out on something here in America?

ampnation
02-13-2012, 11:38 AM
If your speakers are decent then you shouldn't have to worry about this. Do you think that those who use JBL VERTEC DP, Meyer Sound M series or the powered EAW line arrays are constantly worrying if the speakers will last the gig?

I thought that was more professional level products. Am I missing out on something here in America?

Guitar Center and Sam Ash carry entry level and mid range pro level products. The equipment listed above are high end pro level products and not available to my knowledge at these retailers -- usually available through full service dealers or manufacturer direct. Although I know GC does have a special service for contractors and touring pros and the like and those products might be available thru this channnel, especially the JBL given they carry JBL up through the SRX level in stores. SRX is considered entry level for touring pros.

Al Poulin
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Any powered speaker (or amplifier in a passive setup) CAN fail - even the Meyer, EAW, Turbosound and other higher end stuff. Choosing the better products from the more reputable manufacturers AND always using them within their limits (not driving the snot out of them) will improve the chances of you getting a long life out of most of them however. I have been using powered speakers from Yorkville, RCF and even Wharfedale for about 7 years with not a single failure of any kind so I am not worried at all. I still bring a spare powered speaker to every gig though, just in case. (just like I used to bring a spare amplifier when I used passive systems)

Al