PDA

View Full Version : DMX nubie question

Djfan
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
I have a few lights are are DMX capable, so I picked up the Mini Stone LED DMX to run them.

It looks like I need a DMX cord that is male to male. Does that sound right? It seems contrary to intuition, but I am an absolute rook here.

The user's manual is up for the 2012 www.engrish.com award (not really, but should be) and uses terms I just don't understand.

Thanks, and I look forward to being a part of this board.

Djfan

DigitalArtDJs
07-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm not familiar with your particular controller, but the answer should be "no", you will need a standard DMX cable with one male end and one female end. The male end of the DMX cable will/should connect to your controller and the female end of the DMX cable is the standard input into your DMX light fixture(s).

Djfan
07-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks Jason!

I ask because the "DMX out" from the board goes to the "DMX out" on the quad gem. It would have to have a male adapter to go into the "DMX in" on the quad gem. BTW, the are the High Tech Lighting version of the quad gem, not the American DJ version.

Synaxis
07-26-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm not familiar with your particular controller, but the answer should be "no", you will need a standard DMX cable with one male end and one female end. The male end of the DMX cable will/should connect to your controller and the female end of the DMX cable is the standard input into your DMX light fixture(s).

Correct.

Out from your DMX controller, IN to your lighting fixture, and then OUT into the next fixture.

I'm not even sure if they make male to male DMX cables. I've never seen them sold anywhere.

Djfan
07-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Doing research on the quad gems leads me to believe that they are not dmx, but master / slave only. That's OK. I can set it to cool chase and be happy. I want to have the dmx for the dinner mood and the chase of the uplights as needed.

DigitalArtDJs
07-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Doing research on the quad gems leads me to believe that they are not dmx, but master / slave only. That's OK. I can set it to cool chase and be happy. I want to have the dmx for the dinner mood and the chase of the uplights as needed.

I'm sure you've seen it, but here is the manual on the ADJ version ADJ Quad Gem manual (http://www.americandj.com/pdffiles/quad_gem_dmx.pdf). If your light is setup the same way I believe the DMX input is at the top right on the back of the light (accepts female end of DMX cable). Immediately below that is the DMX out (accepts DMX male end of cable).

If you scroll down a couple of pages there is a DMX setup section which describes the DMX cables/ends and a few pages past that shows you what the DMX channels will control on this particular light fixture. Your light may be slightly different as you mentioned, but this should provide a bit context of what you can control with DMX with a similar light.