PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice / terminology

zaccutt
07-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and also new to DJ or DMX lighting. I have quite a bit of experience with other lighting but have a project I am working on requiring more of a live show.

I am seeking any terminology or suggestions that can help me with my research as there is just so much out there.

I have two different options, basically looking at a 4 x 4 grid with RGB dmx fixtures in each square. So if this is similar to the lighting I am used to that would be 48 channels, one for each color for each fixture. My other option is to use 9 RGB Pixel lights per square which would give me about 432 channels and many more options.

What I want to do essentially is have pre programmed effects, such as a red line sliding to the left of the grid etc etc etc.

My ideal situation would have literally a button for each effect pre programmed. One or more speed controls for all of these effects would be good.

Is there such a thing where the effects would not loop and in fact could revert to a default or automatic program when the effect ends?

I would also like the buttons to override themselves, such as if an effect was all lights on (white) with a fade out, if you triple tapped the button it would basically strobe three times and then fade out.

I have been looking at DMX scenes however don't really think they are right for this. I have looked into different softwares and see that there are many available. I was interested in Madrix if I were to use the large pixel grid.

I am trying to make something that is easy to use as I will not be controlling it. Something that someone can either press buttons or click them with very few adjustments required.

If you can provide any info at all that might point me in the right direction I will really appreciate it. And sorry for the noobness

Thanks for reading!

Zac

BillESC
07-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Instead of using individual fixtures and so many DMX channels, your desired effect is easily created by a soft LED curtain. These are available in a wide variety of pixel densities and use tri color diodes. Pixel mapping comes standard and will allow you to create any patterns, chases and or sequences.

Hi Def pixel spacing (20mm) can run $ 2500.00 per square meter whereas broader spacing of 120mm may come in well under a grand per meter. All wiring is built in, just hook up a laptop and design away.

Synaxis
07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Have you considered Chauvet Show Xpress? I believe they recently added a pixel mapping feature to their software.

Also, have a look at Chauvet's Epix System:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ZKFdG8oBQ

Another Option: http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=&ItemNumber=2007

zaccutt
07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for the info, the soft curtains seem like a good option for this project. I have previously looked at the 4x4 panels but for the weight savings and flexibility the curtain seems like a perfect option.

Now I have questions in regards to software. I want something that works well during live shows, does anyone have experience with software that you can program keyboard short cut commands for effects? I think that would be the best way to go about this. I want it simple so the person using it can just hit buttons at certain beats and maybe play with some speed controls.

And I am looking at the show express software still, its hard to tell how well these programs will suit my needs without trying them

Thanks again

Zac

BillESC
07-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Your best bet is to down load the demo files for several DMX software products. You'll get a feeling for which one will do what you want.