PDA

View Full Version : Denon 1600 or DJM 800

DJ Donnie Lewis
07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm sure there is a thread about this already but my search feature isn't working for me but I'm trying to decide on the 2. Any advice?

Irrational_Fear
07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
I looked at both of these before getting my mixer, I found the following;

Dn-x1600: Much better faders (the best I've used), better over-all feel, slightly better sound quality (in my opinion), comprehensive midi capabilities + Traktor certified (not something I use), brilliant input matrix (can assign any of the input connections on the back of the mixer to any channel you like- on the fly), and significantly cheaper.

DJM800: Club standard Pioneer layout, individual dedicated channel filters, arguably better effects (and effect layout).

The individual channel filters were probably the only thing that would have made me go for the DJM800 over the Denon, but saying that the Denon's single filter knob is easy to assign to any channel with the simple effect assign buttons.

I think the colour effects and their layout are better than the effects on the Denon (and the Denon effects are bloody good), but for everything else I just preferred the Denon. The fact it was also a few hundred quid cheaper sealed the deal for me.

I would have thought a better comparison (price-wise at least) would have been with the Denon dn-x1700. This is pretty much the same price as the DJM800 over here. It is basically a 1600 but with dual effect processors and a few other improvements.

Hopefully somebody who owns the DJM800 will flag up anything I may have missed :)

DJ Donnie Lewis
07-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Great review. I should have stated that I also use an efx 500. The main reason I'm not into the 1700s dual fx

DJ Donnie Lewis
07-25-2012, 10:19 AM
How's the mic channel? I don't like it on the ddm?

Adzm00
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Great review. I should have stated that I also use an efx 500. The main reason I'm not into the 1700s dual fx

That EFX will be redundant with the DJM800 as the effects loop is on the effects knob. Saying that the EFX500 has really bad sound so getting rid of it isn't a bad thing. I have an EFX1000 and consider selling it as It doesn't get any use since I bought the DJM850.

Also on the sound quality and in response ot Irrational Fear's post, if you think something is slightly better sound quality but haven't actually tested it, then there is no point referring to it. A lot of people on here will tell you the Xone DB4 beats the sound quality on the DJM900, actually the DJM900 is supposed to sound better. I haven't tested this myself, but a respected friend of mine who works at Ministry of Sound (lights and sound) said in the side by side quality comparisons of these mixers, the DJM900 was ahead on pretty much all tests.

DJ Donnie Lewis
07-25-2012, 10:35 AM
If I got the 800/850 I'd sell the efx unit. I'd only keep it with the denon

Irrational_Fear
07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah that's a fair point on the sound quality, I was merely stating my personal opinion on it- as in what my ears could determine (I've now edited my original post to reflect this). I have a certain amount of ocd when it comes to sound quality (or at least the sound quality that I as a human being can detect), and whilst that certainly makes me no expert on the matter I thought the difference that I heard when I tried out those mixers (along with the Dn-x1100, DJM700 & Reloop RMx40 Blackfire) made it relevent enough to mention- if I hadn't noticed any audible difference I wouldn't have mentioned it :)

As it happens I generally avoid looking at the results of actual 'scientific' testing of audio components when comparing two products these days as I find my sub-concious has already made a decision that is congruent with the test results, meaning I am then no longer going purely by my own ears!

Adzm00
07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah that's a fair point on the sound quality, I was merely stating my personal opinion on it

:tup:

At the end of the day sound quality is one thing, sound preference is personal taste, also this is going to change depending on your system at home, talking about sound preference is another subjective topic.

DJ Donnie Lewis
07-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Fear. How's the quality of the mic channel on the 1600?

Irrational_Fear
07-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Fear. How's the quality of the mic channel on the 1600?

Ah sorry I missed that question! In all honesty I've never used the mic channel myself so I couldn't say, there was a chap discussing the 1600 on another thread (who'd had one for a fair while longer than me) however who really seemed to know the mixer well, hopefully they'll see this and be able to help you on that one.

I could go and try it when i get home but having never used mic channels myself (on any mixer) I doubt it would be of much use! :blank:

DJ Donnie Lewis
07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Ahh ok. I'll look for that thread later today when I'm by my computer

JamminDownJD
07-26-2012, 12:25 AM
2 mic channels on the Denon DN-X1600-- one XLR/TRS, one TS. Both have EQ, both are assignable to effects, both are cueable. Works great for my mobile gigs!

DJ Donnie Lewis
07-26-2012, 09:23 AM
2 mic channels on the Denon DN-X1600-- one XLR/TRS, one TS. Both have EQ, both are assignable to effects, both are cueable. Works great for my mobile gigs!

no feedback issues?

Blueprint
07-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Same on the djm 800 except that you can't cue the mic channel, the mic channel sounds fine as far as sound quality.

JamminDownJD
07-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Feedback occurs when you have improper gain staging, venue acoustic problems, or when a user doesn't know how to correctly use a mic. It happens when the volume from the speakers are greater than the volume from the person's voice. Feedback can occur on ANY system, regardless of brand.

Both are excellent mixers, and really, you can't go wrong with either of them. I chose the Denon DN-X1600 because of the matrix inputs and Traktor certification (even though I am a Serato Scratch Live user). It also helps that it was significantly cheaper, and thus I saw greater ROI.