PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Rookie Scratch Battle: DJ Armani vs DJ Riddims

JonAvalon
07-24-2012, 11:50 PM
File 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJ Armani-vs-DJ Riddims-1.mp3)

File 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/DJ Armani-vs-DJ Riddims-2.mp3)

Rules:
Must be an instrumental, no loops or anything like that.
No longer than 5 min. Long.

scottie the goonie
07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
You both are capable of the same techniques (forwards, babies, stabs, transforms), but your execution and timing are very different. One of you obviously has more experience than the other. I hope that compels you to come back for a rematch.

Kudos to both of you for following through submitting files - I'm always delighted to see rookie scratch battles at DJF.

I'll vote later this week once I give it another listen.

sephi
07-25-2012, 05:16 AM
1 was off beat and not musical.

2 was much faster and technically impressive, while still being on beat the vast majority of the time, and on top of that it complemented the track and was musical.

No contest, definitely 2.

Sigma
07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
1 sounded kinda stiff. Technically it wasn't very good. The sample choices were kinda weird - or maybe it's what you were doing with them that made them sound weird.

2 sounded very digital, although that's beside the point. The transforming was pretty good in places, but what spoiled this file for me is that it felt like you were struggling to string everything together. Outside of the transforming (which was quite random in places), I don't think this was very good technically either.

Sorry to be so harsh - I know it's a rookie battle. I think you both need to focus on the core basics more, because I would have been more impressed by some simple techniques pulled off cleanly. 2 is above 1 technically and the transforming sounded good at times, so 2 gets my vote.

TheRabbitMonk
07-25-2012, 02:52 PM
mix 1 - like the tune, should of changed sample i thought, some nice fade in and fade outs. quite basic, concentrate on dropping on time and getting another click of your fader in there. drag back and repeat. (when battle has finished tell me the name of that tune. it's the one from 8 mile, the final battle i think.)

mix 2 - another fat arse tunes, this dude was just going for it.. i like this one, it put a smile on my face. think i heard some effects in there? i don't know i might be wrong. tip: switch sample it helps you reset, because most of the time you have to scratch a different sample different so helps you to reset.

my vote is mix 2

TheRabbitMonk
07-25-2012, 02:57 PM
sigma a couple of years back there were 2 guys who use to battle all the time. what were there names?
use to have on i pod but had to reset, if my memory is correct they were quite close skill wise. which i must mention was well above mine and still is.

tekno_violet
07-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Didn't like the sample No.1 used, wasnt on beat much and was too long for me to listen to. Didn't try and go overboard for the rookie battle which was cool. practice and it'll come right. :tup:

No. 2 - Liked the pace a lot, liked the sample, you showed some skill and a lot of potential so good work.

Im going with 2.

JamesRoss
07-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Finally this one is up. wow, when did they start talking about this? Like a month ago? well, Im listening now... will report back in a few min.

JamesRoss
07-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Ok, well, right from the beginning I could tell that mix 2 was superior. The scratching sounded technially more advanced than one did. I thought that the attacks were on beat and the agressivness was good. Mix one sounded like it lacked a little confidance. Mix two definetely has the confidance. My vote goes for two.

Good job to both of you and keep it up.

Ocie
07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
two was more on point, technically sound. it's getting my vote. i gotta start practicing my scratching seriously...

props to you both though.