PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my mixer - Denon DN-X1600 or Rane 62. Impressions

Pmf2000
07-23-2012, 05:14 PM
A few details...I currently have a Behringer DDM4000. For the money I spent, this has been a good mixer but I have an abundance of cables which is starting to drive me crazy. I have this hooked up to both Serato and Traktor. I primarily use Traktor but got Serato so I could get familiar with it and possibly start doing video. I am also learning to scratch.

Initally I was going to get a Rane 62 to pair with my 3900's but in truth I primarily use Traktor so I started to look for Traktor Certified Mixers. Denon X1600 and X1700 came up. Turns out they seem like decent mixers. As the X1600 has most of the functionality I require AND costs significantly less, I'm leaning in this direction. None of the music stores have them in stock to try so I thought I would ask the forum for feedback. How is the crossfader on the X1600? Does anyone use the MIDI implementation to control Traktor? Am I making a horrible decision not going to the Rane 62?

Just wondering...

hoff
07-23-2012, 05:38 PM
The X1600 and X1700 are phenomenal mixers.

To answer your questions:

1. The crossfader and channel faders are arguably the best feeling faders that come stock on any mixer out there. Many people will agree with this.
2. When I used to own an X1600, I played around a bit with MIDI and traktor. I don't have much experience with it, as I mainly used my SC2000/X1 to control traktor functions and used the internal soundcard on the X1600 to simply route audio to my channels in external mix mode with traktor. In the little bit of playing around I did, I can tell you that the stock TSI gave me full traktor functionality. Beyond that, you can easily map the 4? pages of midi for the infinite rotate and click knobs along the efx panel.

I'd suggest you save some money and go with the denon. You'll have more channels to play with and built-in effects. That, along with the pros listed above make it your best bet I'd say.

Everything about the X1600 can be said for the X1700, the latter simply has an extra effects processor.

Blueprint
07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
why do you need a four channel mixer?

Pmf2000
07-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks Hoff for the feedback.

I have two turntables and two 3900's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Irrational_Fear
07-24-2012, 05:40 AM
I can most definately echo what Hoff said regarding the faders on the Dn-x1600.

They are simply brilliant. They were pretty much THE deciding factor that swayed me from the Pioneer alternatives I was originally looking at and feel considerably nicer to use than any mixer I've tried. The channel faders have just the right amount of resistance to them and are an absolute joy to use, and I reckon the crossfader is as good as anything you'll find this side of a dedicated scratch mixer.

I've not had any experience with the midi implementation as it's not something I use, but nobody seems to have a bad word to say about it. A guy I was asking about the 1600 prior to buying mine was particularly keen to stress just how good the midi use was. It went a bit over my head what he was trying to explain as I've never got very involved in midi use/mapping etc (beyond having a play with a cheapy controller), but from his tone of voice and the number of adjectives he was using you'd have got the impression it was the best thing since sliced bread! :lol:

For the price I really don't think you can get better. Also as Hoff said, if price isn't such an issue and you feel you could use a second FX processor go for the 1700.

roguedna
07-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Love my Dnx1600, smooth faders, very clear LED meters. Great feel of quality and features (still not used all of them). Once I started mixing on it, I didn't really look at the Traktor side of it (for long), and this was one reason for me buying it. :lol:

But the Dnx1600 midi mappable options look very good, when I played around with some.

As for Dnx1600 v Dnx1700

Some of the internal circuits?

http://www.denondjforums.com/forum/index.php?f=54&t=18415&rb_v=viewtopic

Effects? Yes that's one difference.

But there are other differences - the 1600 is an extremely high quality audio mixer; the 1700 is even better in audio excellence - featuring separate internal circuits for digital sound and analogue sound, phono circuits using parts from the ultra audiophile turntable amps from the top of the range Denon units.

Dnx1700 = "60mm CP Studio quality Alps K-Type Channel Fader"

Dnx1600 = "60mm custom Alps type Channel Faders"

Dnx1600 = "MIDI Mapping area, up to 4 MIDI pages" (Dnx1700 dosen't have the MIDI-strip)

Dnx1700 = "4 x digital ins/1 x digital out (44.1/48/96 kHz)" The Dnx1600 has out but not in.

Dnx1700 has 4 phono inputs vs 3 on the Dnx1600

As stated: 1 independent effect vs 2 independent effect.

The matrix input is great for messing around with effects and EQ's for the same track or cutting up tracks etc.

The screens are different but so is the price :D

I've seen some videos on the Rane62 and it looks like a very nice mixer. SSL ready but you mostly use Traktor and have a SSL box.

Rane magnetic faders have had some good feed back.

But the in the UK:

Dnx1600 £800 + / -

Dnx1700 £1200 + / -

Rane62 £1700 + / -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou2Lp4hXTOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEDknXqXcK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPvF1sEXvk

Will MaXimal
07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
The Denon 1600 is the best... Get it!

Pmf2000
07-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Decision made. Bought the DN-X1600

roguedna
08-01-2012, 03:12 AM

Nice :)

Lost Connection
08-01-2012, 03:19 AM

Won't be disappointed :tup:

The mixer is purely awesome, and as a timecode user I just love it.