PDA

View Full Version : Wireless DMX

CHAUVET DJ
07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
What is your take on wireless DMX fixtures. Do you use them? Why or why not?

BillESC
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
I've used your wireless system, worked well.

3owls.ca
07-23-2012, 10:18 PM
I use them. Saves me the time and trouble of running cables.

DJ M&M
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
use them there wicked awesome for flying trusses

Silver Man
07-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I use them (unfortunately, not your system as I was turned onto a competitor.) They are great in cutting down setup time and makes it easy to run cables around door ways (since there are no cables.) I currently have 2 transmitters (1 as a backup) and 17 receivers (most are used for up-lights) Definitely a must have!

TreyDingo
07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, your new freedom strip mini has built in wireless DMX. That is really awesome! I feel like in a couple years, battery powered lights with built in wireless DMX will be dominating the market. Battery powered technology still has some growing up to do I feel like before it becomes worth the extra money in most cases, but When it gets there, all of us light nerds will be rejoicing.

To answer your question simply. I love the idea of wireless DMX, but am still waiting to see how it unfolds before making the investment.

Coronaoperator
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Battery powered technology still has some growing up to do I feel like before it becomes worth the extra money in most cases,

It would be nice if all the battery powered units had standardized removable battery packs like cordless power tools do, at least each company. Pop them out, place on a charger that could hold 10 packs for an hour or two and away you go. If one fails, no problem, pop in a spare pack and your golden. Using it for a longer period of time, just plug in the power cord and use the light without the battery pack. Different amperage packs could be offered as well for longer run times or larger power draw lights. Maybe even 1 pack could run multiple lights on a line. All options that could be configured as needed.

Wireless dmx must be golden to the mobile operator who must do uplighting and cake highlighting and what not around doors and aisleways. That is if it works flawlessly all the time even in areas with heavy wireless traffic.

I only run a permament install (with the odd tear down and repositioning for some shows) so none of this applies to me except for maybe getting 1 wireless dmx to wherever I want to run FOH, but if I were a mobile I'd be excited.
Mobile lighting is on the verge of becoming much more convienient, lighter, easier and possible (think 1 15 amp breaker to run sound and lights) than ever before!