PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer 900 broken?

Dirty Beats
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
There is a club I Dj at and in order for me to get peak sound, I have to have the trim CRANKED to the max.
It's this way on just about all 4 channels.

Can someone tell me what's up with that? Is the mixer broken? Is there some sort of setting on the mixer to prevent DJ's from overloading the house so the trim is adjusted to be "full" sound at MAX setting?

Thanks

ben mills
07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
The more red lights you can light up on your mixer, the better so I don't understand the problem here.

ben mills
07-23-2012, 02:35 PM
In all seriousness, it's probably just the house system turned way down.

DJ STU-C
07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
yeah to be fair its better that it is too, if it was cranked up and some clueless dj/bar staffer whacked the mixer right up to full it would destroy the system in minutes

DJ Highline
07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
This is where setting proper limits come into play. More than likely, the sound system is either too small for the room and you are pushing it or they have the limiters set way too low for the system. The best way to tell is when you crank the gains up and the system gets loud enough, is there distortion in the sound that's not there at lower levels? Also if you know where the amplifiers are, most have some sort of clip indicators on them...check to see if the amps are clipping. If neither of these things are happening, then the limiters are probably set too low and need to be adjusted. Have whoever set the system up come out and check the volumes at peak hour and then have them adjust the levels to that. A sound system will be alot louder in an empty room than a full room...

Dirty Beats
07-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the responses.. But I think there is a misunderstanding.

The system is setup so that when the master is fully cranked, it's at what seems to be appropriate peak levels for the house system.

What's confusing me is the amount of GAIN that is necessary just to be deep in the "yellow" to "red".

In other words, If I'm CRANKING the shit out of the system, the MASTER is set to 100% and the gains are set to 98% or so.
And while it sounds appropriate for the time and environment, I'm bewildered that the gains need to be cranked so high to be in the deep yellow to touch of red.

I'm used to the gains needing to be around 12:00 - 1:00 on most systems I play on but on this system, the gains need to be set to almost 100% or 4:00-5:00 on the dial.

Is that normal?

Again, I'm not talking about volume on the Master or even volume in the room. I'm talking about having to have the gain set INCREDIBLY high just to see Yellow and a touch of red.

Am I making sense?

DJNR
07-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah I guess. Why do you need to be in yellow or red anyways? I have a DJM 900, and I don't have the issue you have mentioned. Are you using phono or line? Similarly, are you using the built in traktor functionality?

Dirty Beats
07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm a scratch live dj. I'm using line.

The reason I'm so deep in the lights is because I'm the closer at this club and the dj before me is deep in his lights. In other words, if I come in at green and he is at red, my volumes are too low. I actually need to be fully tweaked in volume and gain to have the right sound for the room.. And that's why I think it's weird, I don't like being in the red but on this 900 mixer, I have to be... ??

JackStalk
07-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree that the house system is probably turned down. I usually run my gains at 9:00-11:00 and they're fine. Most likely not the mixer.

DJ Highline
07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm a scratch live dj. I'm using line.

The reason I'm so deep in the lights is because I'm the closer at this club and the dj before me is deep in his lights. In other words, if I come in at green and he is at red, my volumes are too low. I actually need to be fully tweaked in volume and gain to have the right sound for the room.. And that's why I think it's weird, I don't like being in the red but on this 900 mixer, I have to be... ??

Then this is the problem...you need to figure out how to get the DJ before you to play at a normal level and not go into the red. When he does that its probably too loud in the room but by the time hes done, everyone's ears have all naturally started to compress the sound and when you come on, its now too low because basically everybody in the room is def.

The best way to handle this I think is to get the owner to invest in a DB meter that has a display at the DJ booth and say nobody is to play over say 100 DB or so...that way you have an actual value to go by how loud it is rather than trusting your ears...which will fool you.

frandomeda
07-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Have you checked headroom settings on your Serato software?