PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding scratching

DJArmani
07-21-2012, 10:10 PM
I've been scratching for about 3 months now and I was wondering how I can work on increasing speed with faderwork. I move faster with my left hand than my right hand. And when I try to move the fader with my right, my hand gets sore quick and it seems heavier and harder to move the fader. Is it normal to favor one side than the other side when scratching? I'm learning alot through DJ Angelo's scratch tutorials also. Also should I learn all the scratches and then just practice them or should I go one scratch at a time and master each technique?

Sigma
07-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Most scratchers I know tend to practice one way, rather than trying to be ambidextrous, but it depends what your goal is. If you have your mixer in the middle of the decks (as most people do - but I don't) then you'll want to be able to do some scratching with both hands - at least some basic stuff when you're cutting the "weak" way anyway. As I have always had my mixer to the left of both decks, I've never practiced scratching with my right hand on the fader, so I suck at it.

Regarding techniques, what I always did is focussed on trying to get a particular scratch or combo down reasonably well, then I'd just throw it in with other scratches when I'm practicing so I'd get better over time. Just doing the same scratch over and over and over until you're great at it is one way of doing it, but it's kinda boring!

DJArmani
07-22-2012, 12:43 AM
thanks, sigma +1. Yeah that's what i'm doing now, I'm just combining all of the techniques i've learned so I'll create different patterns with them such as stab, stab, baby, stab, transformer etc.