PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding belt drive turntables

drrrracula
07-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi, I have an S2 which I love and use daily. But I also have some old belt-drive turntables upstairs. I've checked them out and they work and I'd like to fuck around on them as well as I have some vinyl I want to play with and I want to try trick-mixing and shit.
What I want to know is are belt drive usable for what I want? I know that direct drive is better but I don't really know why. Do any of you mix on belt drive and would I be able to transfer what I've learnt from my S2 to the turntables?
Sorry if that's worded wrongly, it's Friday so ima bit drunk.

mrkleen
07-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Many of us learned to mix on belt drive turntables....and they are a great place to start...as they teach you how to quickly correct your mistakes and when you switch to direct drive, it is an easy transition.

But bear in mind - you cannot really scratch with belt drive....and if they dont have pitch control, then forget it.

nolimitz
07-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Belt drive turntables are only good for listening to records. The motor is not strong enough to handle the duties of dj'ing. You can not scratch with them and you would need a really light touch in order to cue and related actions.

Other than that, you would really need a direct drive deck. What brand are they by the way?

mrkleen
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Belt drive turntables are only good for listening to records. The motor is not strong enough to handle the duties of dj'ing.

That is wrong.

Technics made a ton of different "belt drive" turnables with pitch control back in the 70s and 80s.

drrrracula
07-20-2012, 10:26 AM
i think they are numark tt1610's but i'd have to check when i get home. they've been upstairs in my attic for like 4 years and i thought i might as well see if i can get any use out of them.

thanks for replies

KLH
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Well... they're better than nothing. Supposedly they have "high torque belt drive" systems... Uh huh.

Basically, we're not recommending them, but playing around is playing around. Have fun and save up for better equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53YcxZ9EsA

-KLH

Windows 95
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
i think they are numark tt1610's but i'd have to check when i get home. they've been upstairs in my attic for like 4 years and i thought i might as well see if i can get any use out of them.Really crappy turntables, but a lot of people learned on them. You shouldn't have any problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUl506MHLQ

VjQue
07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I learned everything on belt drives from scratching to blending. the main issue was that belt would stretch after a while or break.

most had a drag when letting go of the record.

got tired of breaking/stretching the belts and got 1200.

there good to learn on and thats it.

as far as the s2 only difference is there like direct drive and the platters are smaller.

frandomeda
07-20-2012, 07:40 PM
If you already got them then why ask us if you should use them?

If you are planning on using them out then I would advise you get something more reliable.