PDA

View Full Version : Help with songs

xRt
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Hi, long time...

I just rigged up my DJ gear and want to do a burning session for my dual CD player. It do not support MP3 so that limits my options a little as far as songs per. CD goes. Anyway... There is one thing I have noticed when it comes to house music (that I like the most), I don't know how to explain it but, it seems like all the songs are already "full" you know? When I listen to say 'Levels' by Avicii I can't really hear any room for mixing.
Hard to explain, I am also somewhat new to DJing but I understand a few concepts about it. Learning a lot from the internet. There just seems like a lot going on in the song already, and if I purchase this song and others from beatport for my burning session I want tunes that I can mix. Harmonic mixing, beat matching ect seems difficult even though I know some about it.
Sorry for my english, not my native language.

de.j.l
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I do 1 track per CD.. personally.

B.Frank
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Some genres/artists/tracks can be difficult to mix. Try listening to a mix with that track in it and see how they do their transitions. Get creative and try new things when you practice.

DeadPhr0g
02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi, long time...

I just rigged up my DJ gear and want to do a burning session for my dual CD player. It do not support MP3 so that limits my options a little as far as songs per. CD goes. Anyway... There is one thing I have noticed when it comes to house music (that I like the most), I don't know how to explain it but, it seems like all the songs are already "full" you know? When I listen to say 'Levels' by Avicii I can't really hear any room for mixing.
Hard to explain, I am also somewhat new to DJing but I understand a few concepts about it. Learning a lot from the internet. There just seems like a lot going on in the song already, and if I purchase this song and others from beatport for my burning session I want tunes that I can mix. Harmonic mixing, beat matching ect seems difficult even though I know some about it.
Sorry for my english, not my native language.There are different ways and methods of mixing. You don't have to "blend" a song in ALL the time. Be creative.

fueledbymusic
02-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I dont always blend. I for the most part play the songs end to end. And for the music. I typically make 2 copies of a CD thats filled with songs. As to be sure the next song I want to play is not on the same CD

xRt
02-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys... Going on beatport now and grabbing a few tunes, I will burn them on two CDs. Great advice on being creative, get a feel for the songs and stuff right? Have a great weekend ! I'm seeing Avicii live in next weekend can't wait. My first concert trance/techno concert !

Hausgeist
02-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Just keep at it. Listen to other djs' mixes of the same genre of music that you like. Watch videos of other djs mixing. Practice. It'll come together. :tup:

Grifff
02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
There is one thing I have noticed when it comes to house music (that I like the most), I don't know how to explain it but, it seems like all the songs are already "full" you know?

I know exactly what you mean by 'full', I've often tried to explain it to people and that was the only way I could think of doing so.

What I have recently started doing is burning two identical CDs with 8, 9 or 10 tracks on - depending on how many it takes to get to 70 minutes. That way I can put either CD into each deck and I am not restricted in my mixes - and it saves more CDs in the long run than one track per disc

Like this, where the tracklist and original CD are on the bottom two spaces and the duplicates are above them (although I haven't got enough blank CDs to do duplicates for all of my CDs at the moment)

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/4817/20120213215400.jpg

DJArmani
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
The way I used to do it was making a playlist of songs on itunes, then burn the same playlist onto 2 cds. And, you can always be creative, and bring the beat to a different song back or bring the song back, etc.

fueledbymusic
02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
I know exactly what you mean by 'full', I've often tried to explain it to people and that was the only way I could think of doing so.

What I have recently started doing is burning two identical CDs with 8, 9 or 10 tracks on - depending on how many it takes to get to 70 minutes. That way I can put either CD into each deck and I am not restricted in my mixes - and it saves more CDs in the long run than one track per disc

Like this, where the tracklist and original CD are on the bottom two spaces and the duplicates are above them (although I haven't got enough blank CDs to do duplicates for all of my CDs at the moment)

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/4817/20120213215400.jpg

Exactly like how I do it! http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/fueledbymusic/P1000383.jpg