PDA

View Full Version : Uffie's trainwreck in Shanghai

RDRCK
07-19-2012, 11:18 AM
http://shanghaiist.com/2012/07/17/uffie-shanghai.php

Uffie's first (and probably last) gig in Shanghai
What does one do when you're a party promoter in Shanghai, and the supposedly A-list DJ you just blew a shitload of money on to fly in from halfway around the globe decides not to werk the crowd like she's supposed to but instead gets herself completely sh*t-faced at the party?
T
hat's the unenviable position local promoters Four Leaves Productions found themselves in when they got the so-called "electropop goddess", singer and socialite Uffie to play at Mao Livehouse over the weekend. The 24-year-old Paris-based musician, also known as Anna-Catherine Hartley, made a complete fool of herself at her first ever China gig, and angered a bunch of her fans who paid 300RMB to hear her play.
The promoters themselves were apparently taken aback by Uffie's unprofessional behaviour. Here's what they told SmartShanghai:

The whole thing was a total joke. Uffie was booked to DJ. It said in her contract that she would DJ but in fact she came with a support DJ and just handed the DJ CDs to play. When we realized she wasn't going to be DJing herself, we thought she was going to sing like she always does, with the DJ supporting her in the background. But she refused to sing. She got absolutely intoxicated and spent the whole time on stage just walking around doing nothing. We couldn't do anything about it. When she finished I complained to her but she didn't seem to realize that she has done anything bad. So basically right after the show they left through the back door. Before she started, the place was getting busy and with good vibes. It could have been a great night but then everybody started calling friends about what was happenning and people [stopped] at the door and turned back. After that embarrasing show all the public were very disappointed and started leaving and complaining to us. It's been a complete nightmare and a total joke.
Now we are trying to put together as much evidence as we can to send to the agent and try to get something back. The only thing we can do is to apologize to everybody in Shanghai.
Uh oh.

With a debut appearance like that, guess Uffie's not going to return to Shanghai anytime soon.

Just postin because I think it's a funny sich.

I could take or leave Uffie. I like a few of her tracks, nothing that I would play out, but certainly stuff I would listen to at home.

I think I would be pretty pissed too, though, if I had paid someone (probably beaucoup bucks) to come perform and they just made a drunk ass of themselves.

Still, Uffie has only ever been a sort of hanger on in the Ed Banger crew, a woman who gets by on her good (great) looks (she actually is a stunningly beautiful woman, IMO) and bad attitude, and the fact that she knows the right people (and it's kinda entertaining to see a waifish, hot, blonde, French woman rap about blastin foo's I guess). I also want to say that, you get what you get when you choose to book someone like her (i.e. this could be construed as the promoters not doing any research whatsoever, and merely booking someone on the strength of that person's fame or who she's associated with).

Finnish_Fox
07-19-2012, 11:36 AM
The fact you can book her to begin with is the problem...

Smallz
07-19-2012, 12:17 PM
the fact that she was booked to dj initially confirms the club's ignorance. blame could be on both sides, but uffie sadly isn't that great. she only hides behind extremely good producers.

JuxtaPoser
07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Woah, as if Uffie is only a year older than me, that's crazy. She must have been 17 when she recorded Pop The Glock. I don't know why but I thought she was a lot older than that. Probably because she's been married, got divorced and had a kid, and a reasonable music career.

I saw her live at Bestival 2 years ago. I realllllly wanted to enjoy her (big Ed Banger fan) but she was honestly pretty crap. At least she was trying to sing then, rather than pretending (or not) to DJ...

She is super fit though. That raunchy/semi-nude photoshoot she did has had plenty of views from me...

Jimanee
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Here is some moar:

http://shanghaiist.com/2012/07/19/trainwreck_dj_uffie_apologises.php

Yesterday, she posted this tear-inducing non-apology on her Facebook page:

For my audience who was disappointed by the performance at Mao Livehouse, let me sincerely apologize and explain : I am a singer and not a DJ, so when I was booked for a DJ set at the Mao Livehouse in Shanghai, it was clear that I was bringing along another DJ to play songs I love (and obviously not to sing as it was a DJ set booking). Its really unfortunate the public paid a high fee expecting a live and not a 3 DJs line up party. The audience should have been clearly informed on the flyers and promo that it was a DJ set with a DJ partner and not a LIVE. Again very sorry for this incident...

So now it's the fault of the promoters for not making it clear on flyers she's a SINGER. Still doesn't quite explain why she didn't sing at the event. And why she thought it was okay to get herself shitfaced the way she did.

In related news, Uffie has deleted all the negative Facebook comments from angry fans on her page. But we've saved them for posterity HERE.

The comment thread on the SmartShanghai post is also worth a read.

JackStalk
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
She was booked due to false marketing and the venue deserves to get it's money back. Whenever I have a customer/venue that's unhappy with my performance I will always refund them 100%. There's no way she thought that people would pay a high price just to see her pick out songs for some underground DJ. She's delusional.

LeFresh
07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
The fact you can book her to begin with is the problem...
This.

tekno_violet
07-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Had to google her as I have never heard of her.

Found a pic of some man drawing on her ass. Her ass looks like mine so she can goto hell.

Hygro
07-23-2012, 06:15 AM
She basically invented the persona that Kesha made popular, did it 5 years earlier, and is younger and hotter. Not sure why she never blew up for real realz. But handing another DJ CDs to play honestly sounds a bit like actually DJing to me... the drunk part is lame but then again that's her entire persona.

TheRabbitMonk
07-23-2012, 01:28 PM
like i couple of her tunes but i wouldn't call her good looking.

JuxtaPoser
07-23-2012, 02:34 PM
like i couple of her tunes but i wouldn't call her good looking.

http://myrebirth.fr/files/uffiedrugs.jpg

http://myrebirth.fr/files/uffie5.jpg

http://myrebirth.fr/files/uffie3.jpg

TheRabbitMonk
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
your point? she looks rough!

JackStalk
07-23-2012, 03:09 PM
At first I thought my screen was dirty, but that really is her skin complexion :D

DJNR
07-23-2012, 03:21 PM
your point? she looks rough!

She looks like a crack whore beaten by a pimp.

Hygro
07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
she's gorgeous and that's not what this thread is about...

Maikky
07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Uffie is a DJ ?

She never aded herself as a DJ, I thought she was just a singer/rapper/errrr

:blank:

DJ Weatherman
07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
shes fine as hell, and thats what this thread should be about

Dandruff
07-23-2012, 09:34 PM
shes fine as hell, and thats what this thread should be about

rofls