PDA

View Full Version : advice on which tables to buy

daveg
07-19-2012, 01:25 AM
I was wondering which table i should buy since im just getting into mixing. im lookin at the stanton t30 or the gemini xl500 II's. Since im not scratching just mixing i figured either one of those will be alright. So if you could help me out and let me know id be appreciated thanks.

Dantron
07-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Don't waste your money. If you are buying turntables get good quality ones right away. Those will not stay on while mixing and it will frustrate the hell out of you. Go with either Stanton Str8-150s(my personal preference) or Technics 1200s. In my opinion these are the ONLY two acceptable turntables to own.

Irrational_Fear
07-19-2012, 09:58 AM
I've recently been mixing a fair bit recently on my mate's pair of Vestax PDX-2000 mk2's and I'm amazed just how good they are. They must be a good 7 or 8 years old now and the motor is as strong as you could want.

If it was me I would likely go for the Technics as I prefer the more traditional aesthetics over the modern looking Vestax, but if you are happy buying second hand and price is a factor I'd definately give the Vestax a look- 2nd hand prices (here in the uk at least) are a bit cheaper than the Technics.

Just thought I'd offer a slightly different alternative to the usual suspects- but you won't go far wrong with a pair of Technics or the super OEM models.

As Dantron says, avoid buying poor quality ones- with TTs you really do get what you pay for (more so than I personally think you do with CD decks). I played on an old Gemini XL500 quite a few years ago and was less than impressed- but saying that I did subsequently pick up a later Gemini SA600mk2 that I still use to this day.

The torque on this isn't in the same league as the other TTs mentioned but it's much better than the XL500 and has been adequate (if not perfect) for mixing on.

If you are starting out however, I would go with the strongest motor TT you can get for your money- this will make the learning process considerably less frustrating.

Good luck :)

Dantron
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
If you are starting out however, I would go with the strongest motor TT you can get for your money- this will make the learning process considerably less frustrating.

This will certainly make things easier, another reason why I suggest the Stanton Str8-150. Very high torque on them.

DTR
07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Go with either Stanton Str8-150s(my personal preference) or Technics 1200s. In my opinion these are the ONLY two acceptable turntables to own.

:stupid:

Or a pair of Super OEMs (http://aboutdj.nl/reviews/10-draaitafels/232-synq-xtrm1-etc-english-version-of-the-review.html), which are usually cheaper than the Stantons and are practically the same turntable (actually they are better on a few minor points, imo). Can be tricky to find in the US though.

Phi
07-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Or the Numark TTXusb. It is basically equivalent to the stanton str8-150 in features and performance. Be sure it says "TTXusb" and NOT "TTX1" because the TTX1 is prone to over heating and burning out the IC, but they fixed this and relaunched as "TTXusb"

Or the (slightly less expensive) Numark TT-500. It's an analog version of a TTX

Or stanton str8-100. Basically any stanton at, or above, the "100" are considered professional grade.

Also note that the str8-150 comes with decent carts pre-mounted. This saves you about $50 on each deck and brings the actual price down close to a TTXusb (new)

sss18734
07-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Go with either Stanton Str8-150s(my personal preference) or Technics 1200s. In my opinion these are the ONLY two acceptable turntables to own.

Bold statement to make. There are plenty of high quality turntables on the market, used every weekend by professional DJ's all over the world. I've even seen a pair of high end Gemini tables used daily for years without any issues.

I can personally vouch for the Gemini XL2000 III's and Numark TTX tables' quality and longevity.

daveg
07-19-2012, 08:03 PM
thanks guys for all the responses i think i may go with the numarks the unfortunate problem with the ttx or technics or stanton str8150 is i just dont really have 400-600 to spend right off the bat. so i was pretty much wondering if those were decent to start with of those two. i could only find the ones you guys said for around 250 each or more. the numarks i was talking about the guy wants 150 for the set. Agian thanks guys

imallama
07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
The TT500's are a solid turntable, you should be happy with them.

sss18734
07-20-2012, 12:29 AM
$150 for a pair of Numark TT500's is a great deal. You'll be very happy with them. They're every bit as reliable as the Technics and have more motor strength.