PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating Prices

cyberphox
07-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Can anyone give me an estimate on what they pay to get two cabinets powder coated? I have the cabinets stripped of electronics and called a place here local to me in Toronto that does Technics customization and the jackass quoted me $300 PER deck...
Seeing as how the only other quote I had was from a painting place that said depending on how badly they needed to be prepped it should only be $100 total, I told the first place to go pound sand with his stupid pricing and he's still being a dick about it.
What's the average price it should be?

cyberphox
07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
should have posted in equipment mods and DIY...maybe a moderator can move it for me?

Manu
07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
What's the average price it should be?

Piece of string, depends where you go.

cyberphox
07-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Well I just read about an automotive shop nearby that charges about $50 per rim to have a Motorcycle rim done so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't too off base telling this guy that $300 per cabinet was whack

VjQue
07-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Well to tell you the truth it depends on where and who you know. And the quality of the job .

Certain holes have to be covered up cuz if pc gets in them its a bitch getting the screws back in them.

Also some pc places work in batch. The more you take the better.

When we do stuff and if its small the price can be high.

Reason being Is we have to clean all sprayers and areas when we change a color.

On reason why it can take 1 week or 2 to get it back.

Unless we are spraying that color sometime that week .

And a quality auto paint shop will charge you about half that.

Depending on how many coats and clear coats needs to be done.

VjQue
07-18-2012, 12:53 PM
but wait after reading your post again $300 per deck they were probable talking about them taking them apart and prepping them.

check out pimp my turntable price for just paint. alone.

http://www.pimpmyturntables.com/product.php?id_product=82

cyberphox
07-18-2012, 01:17 PM
No they take them apart and paint and put back together for $350 per deck...I CLEARLY stated these were already taken apart and the cabinets were bare and ready and he said $600 total...he's a F@#kin scam as far as I'm concerned...

de.j.l
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
This is powder coating, not painting. It is a bit different, you apply one coat at around 3mm, and if the painter is good it will only take one time to paint and one cure and voila. I wouldn't pay more than 150-200 per deck, even changing the color isn't hard with powder coating. You just need to spray it down with air to clean it out after you clear your hoppers. If you go out and buy your own coating and bring it to them and that will most likely reduce the cost greatly. If you have a friend who does powder coating as a profession, he will most likely be able to use this booth after hours, for free...

If you prep'd your own decks by sanding them down, covering all screw holes and removing all plastics and electronics. This will help the cause as well. Do not use anything that will melt because the ovens are a little toasty.

cyberphox
07-18-2012, 02:56 PM
$600 for two decks people!!! Surely someone else must understand what a scam this is...

de.j.l
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Has anyone denied it being overpriced for you to be shitting bricks about it?

VjQue
07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
You can send me the tops and i will do them both for $300

cyberphox
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
yes plenty..thanks I'm good now...fack bud

DTR
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Certain holes have to be covered up cuz if pc gets in them its a bitch getting the screws back in them.

How about plugging the holes with sacrificial screws? I haven't checked but I'd imagine the screw threads are standard sizes and readily available.

VjQue
07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
How about plugging the holes with sacrificial screws? I haven't checked but I'd imagine the screw threads are standard sizes and readily available.i/we use these rubber pieces instead of screws as some screws would chip the pc when trying to unscrew it.

DeeJayTex
07-20-2012, 04:16 PM
ummmm I just had a pair coated in White and a Pair in bright Pink with Silver flake for $210!

and yes Im talking Powdercoat and not Paint

cyberphox
07-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Halifax eh? I'm originally from Scotia myself!