PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Jungle Battle: BuddyUK vs Mr.Smashy

JonAvalon
07-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/BuddyUK-vs-mrsmashy-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/BuddyUK-vs-mrsmashy-2.mp3)

Rules:

Vinyl only, none of your new fangled jiggery pokery
Jungle and old school Dnb/Jungle
30 mins or nearabout

Rek_Aviles
07-17-2012, 09:22 AM
** Don't forget to rep the Battle poster. :squint:

mr.smashy
07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
** Don't forget to rep the Battle poster. :squint:

Word. Thanks.

g-sep
07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Gonna listen when I get out of work.

Lazerick
07-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Gonna listen when I get out of work.

^^ This

JamesRoss
07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Voted for mix one. about half way through mix two a transisition sounded a little off. Other than that both good mixes.

mr.smashy
07-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks for voting!

BuddyUK
07-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks for listening, repped :)

Mr Rupee
07-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Haven't listened to a jungle mix in a while. Good stuff by both of you.
Really liked the intro of mix 1, the Rodigan sample into T-Power. Tune selection was tight and the mixing good. The mix flowed well.
Mix 2 went in hard from the start. Again the mixing was good and I liked the tunes selected. Really feeling the remix of Sister Nancy and you dropped the classic by Buju.
This was close but I voted Mix 1 as it was slightly better.

BuddyUK
07-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Can't rep you right now as I need to spread it around before repping you again, but thanks for listening and voting. :tup:

Doppelganger
07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Downloading :dance:

dlove
07-20-2012, 05:53 AM
ah, cool, I'm not too late - will download after work :tup:

mr.smashy
07-20-2012, 07:34 AM
thanks for listening and voting!

dlove
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Mix 1 is Alive! Wooh! Not through it yet, but this Jungle's gonna take some beating!

dlove
07-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Mix 2 is a full-on assault! More ragga, less sophisticated. It's a tough battle - Mix 1 is a better mix to my ears now, but back before I knew anything about proper reggae, I learned it through jungle, so I'm totally loving Mix 2 as well.

I vote Mix 1, because it's here and now.

Large Up to you both for a great battle! :tup:

mr.smashy
07-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for voting!

Doppelganger
07-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Both mixes I felt were a little strange personally.

Mix 1: Most of the transitions were messy. You need to tighten up on your beatmatching. You also played a lot of well known tracks which made it quite easy to spot mistakes. If you had played some tracks that were a little more obscure then I may not have noticed as much as I did.

Mix 2: I felt at the beginning the mix had some quite obscure tracks in it, but then they just became a little too obscure for me. Also verging on the drum n bass tip at the end more than Jungle I would say. That Lil' Kim(?) bootleg was quite vulgar I would say and didn't really fit in. Some of the transitions were simple fade in and out, but both mixes are guilty of this.

Both mixes I felt lacked real energy that Jungle sets should have. Most tracks were played too long I felt when so many more tracks could have been fitted in. Sorry if I sound quite negative towards you both but I suppose I had too high a hopes for this one.

I think I will vote for Mix 1

tekno_violet
07-22-2012, 07:37 AM
I voted mix 1.

Unlike Doppelganger I havent heard much of these tracks so the beatmatching was fine to me.

Track selection was pretty mellow.

I wish I could comment more but I listened to the mixes a few days ago and cant remember what I was thinking.:freak:

Well done though guys.

dlove
07-22-2012, 07:51 AM
I think mix 2 has a pirate radio vibe to it, or a grimy party underneath some bridge - the mixing was messy, but the atmosphere was there. Mix 1 has a cleverly put-together set vibe, it weaved in and around, like a soundtrack to a city. A few wobbles on the incoming doesn't take points off in my book - it's live.

mr.smashy
07-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for voting!

Delta V
07-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Forgot how tasty old skool DnB & Jungle is. Love the skippy beats and the deeper / not overbearing bass-lines.

Mix 1 - I can tell a few places where you were mixing, some people said your mixes weren't "locked in" but hey I understand vinyl combined with this older stuff is harder to mix. There's a tune a little after half way with a smooth b-line and sounds all sci-fi that I really like. The ending moved into a bit more funkier territory; which is good, it was getting a little too middle class white kid sounding.

Mix 2: First transition sounded a bit off and I don't think the fade worked. This mix certainly sounds more underground than the first, got me bouncing around. Beatmatching here sounds a bit more off than mix 1. The mix itself though sounds a lot cleaner and better sound quality, could just be newer tunes I don't really know.

This is pretty difficult, I think mix 1 had better beatmatching / technical ability, but I liked the programing in Mix 2 more, there were points of high energy and some deeper stuff, I'd much prefer to hear it live, so that's the mix I'll go with. Thanks to both DJs!

The Blackest
07-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah gunna have to go w/ mix 1. Hate to come across as being a dick or anything, but damn the mixing was pretty rough for both of them. I preferred the tunes in mix 1 more. I mean it started out w/ T.Power & MK Ultra's Mutant Jazz!!! Thats a tune that I listened to A LOT when I was a kid(along w/ others I'm sure). Man that brought back some awesome memories.

Rep to both of you though. These mixes inspired me to make an old school mix. Was digging around in my 70s funk collection for samples and I found about 400 old school jungle bits that I forgot about!

mr.smashy
07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks for voting.

The Blackest
07-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Once again, I meant no disrespect to you guys. I'm sure you guys are well established in your local scenes as top selectas.

mr.smashy
07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Everything in it's place and this soundboy don't fear no test.

dlove
07-31-2012, 02:18 AM
congrats to the winner :tup:

Synergy
07-31-2012, 02:32 AM
was gonna do a breakdown like my other posts but im drunk lol....and mix 1 has it for the tracks! fast for it all for oldskool but hey, im stuck in 91 for the oldskool, phantasy - never try the hippodrome?

people, this is vinyl, unforgiving. with oldskool i love how it clashes a bit, it means it is REAL. so fuck what ppl say about rough, its true to form. listen to cool hand flex, jjf and the like from back in the day, its like that, those drums are hard to mix.

some jump up in mix one...nice! good mix man.

Synergy
07-31-2012, 02:34 AM
aye closed but....good mix 1!!!

Doppelganger
07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
So who won?

The Blackest
08-01-2012, 06:10 AM
was gonna do a breakdown like my other posts but im drunk lol....and mix 1 has it for the tracks! fast for it all for oldskool but hey, im stuck in 91 for the oldskool, phantasy - never try the hippodrome?

people, this is vinyl, unforgiving. with oldskool i love how it clashes a bit, it means it is REAL. so fuck what ppl say about rough, its true to form. listen to cool hand flex, jjf and the like from back in the day, its like that, those drums are hard to mix.

some jump up in mix one...nice! good mix man.

Um I do old school jungle sets with vinyl and crunchy dubplates time to time and I don't have issues w/ mixing them.

Not good to use JJ Frost as an example. He's publicly admitted he's an awful dj....

Anyways, congrats to the winner! Can you guys do up a tracklist? I wanna to hit up discogs for some of these tunes!

mr.smashy
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I was mix two. I'm really surprised nobody figured this, as my favorite track is on the mix. I mean, seriously.

No excuses but I've moved on to DVS and haven't made a straight vinyl mix in over two years. I started practicing for this battle and then I went to the ER with signs of a stroke. CT scans revealed that I was not having a stroke and I was released, and I spent time with my family and I rushed out the mix on Sunday. I'm not happy with it, but I agreed to a battle and a battle there was.

All tracks were whitelables except for two tracks and were at least 10 years old. I'll provide as much info as possible so you can dig on discogs or whatever.

1. Shot Fe Bust - Lo-Key - Lockdown Records – LDR 002
2. Krinjah ‎– Bam Bam Remix - Hand Grenade – HGR 001
3. Stop Pushing - Family Of Intelligence - Kemet – KM3RD1
4. Champion (Illfingas Remix) - Buju Banton - Not On Label (Buju Banton) – HBV1
5. Untitled - Unknown - Congo Natty – PEACE
6. Suck My... - Unknown - Not On Label – XBOOT001
7. Cant Resist Jungle - Terry T. - Knowledge & Wisdom Records – NEGUS 003
8. Junglist Outlaw - Unknown - Chopstick Dubplate – CHOP1

Nice job BuddyUK. Looking forward to a rematch.

dlove
08-02-2012, 07:47 AM
:) I noticed about a week after I'd voted!

Wicked battle, well done mr.smashy.