PDA

View Full Version : Ready to start my journey...

XxBooshxX
02-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey guys first I would like to say welcome back to DJF it's been awhile since it has been back up but I'm glad it's back. Anywayim here for advice and sight to the long road to becoming a DJ. I have my equipment already and set( 2x Technic M3D's and a Pioneer DJM 800). I have seen many many many videos on beatmatching but there mostly on CDJ (which everyone seems to use now)but I can. Barely find any on vynils. So I ask help, not just on beatmatching but what's should peruse onwards after that? And if anyone was willing to help me on my journey of getting started and becoming better at what it is I so truly want to do. - thanks for your time.

djdavidvaux
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
i dont think videos are needed to learn beat matching. all you're doing is listening for the beats to match up. thats all. learn to fuck with your pitch control, and to do fine tuning via the 'nipple' of the turntable. it comes with practice bro

XxBooshxX
02-10-2012, 11:50 AM
i dont think videos are needed to learn beat matching. all you're doing is listening for the beats to match up. thats all. learn to fuck with your pitch control, and to do fine tuning via the 'nipple' of the turntable. it comes with practice bro

Thanks for calarifing it for me like I always understood what beatmatching was but the people who try to teach you it make it so complicated saying its super hard to do, but it's just that you Ned to practice on it to make it better

djdavidvaux
02-10-2012, 11:52 AM
yeah i never learned anything with video. well DJing that is. its all a matter of understanding the concept and doing it yourself.

XxBooshxX
02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
yeah i never learned anything with video. well DJing that is. its all a matter of understanding the concept and doing it yourself.

Also I don't know if you can answer this but I been learning more about my djm 800 , I know most the knobs are self explanatory , do you know any posts of videos that give good details on what each one is specifically or a run down on them?

Sigma
02-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I don't think videos are completely useless, but yeah - you can learn just by doing it once you understand the concept and the concept is obviously very easy!

If you've got some tracks without vocals or the instrumental versions of songs, try using those cos then you don't have to focus so much on the phrase matching and there's no vocals to clash and sound horrible and put you off.

Get used to setting your gains too. This is how you would go about practicing: -

1. Set the gain on track 1 and play it.

2. Set the gain on track 2, cue it up in your headphones, drop it in (still in your headphones) and then adjust the pitch to try and get the track in time with the one that's playing. If you mess up, just cue the track up from the start and try again. You'll probably be pretty slow at it, so don't worry about how long it takes. Just work on trying to get the tracks as closely matched as you can.

3. Once you've got the tracks beatmatched (or as close as you can get it), cue up track 2 again and then try mixing it in so it comes out of the speakers this time. This is where you would listen for drifting and make minor adjustments to try and keep the songs in line.

You can use various ways of making adjustments: -

A. You can use the pitch slider of course.

B. You can either twist or pinch the spindle depending on whether you need to speed up or slow down the track.

C. You can give the vinyl surface a little push, or brush your finger on it to slow it down.

D. You can use the edge of the platter.

I use a combination of all of these things, but the idea when making adjustments is to do it as quickly and accurately as possible, and you'll figure out which way to do things given certain situations.

Then it's just a case of plugging away at it and putting the practice in.

XxBooshxX
02-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't think videos are completely useless, but yeah - you can learn just by doing it once you understand the concept and the concept is obviously very easy!

If you've got some tracks without vocals or the instrumental versions of songs, try using those cos then you don't have to focus so much on the phrase matching and there's no vocals to clash and sound horrible and put you off.

Get used to setting your gains too. This is how you would go about practicing: -

1. Set the gain on track 1 and play it.

2. Set the gain on track 2, cue it up in your headphones, drop it in (still in your headphones) and then adjust the pitch to try and get the track in time with the one that's playing. If you mess up, just cue the track up from the start and try again. You'll probably be pretty slow at it, so don't worry about how long it takes. Just work on trying to get the tracks as closely matched as you can.

3. Once you've got the tracks beatmatched (or as close as you can get it), cue up track 2 again and then try mixing it in so it comes out of the speakers this time. This is where you would listen for drifting and make minor adjustments to try and keep the songs in line.

You can use various ways of making adjustments: -

A. You can use the pitch slider of course.

B. You can either twist or pinch the spindle depending on whether you need to speed up or slow down the track.

C. You can give the vinyl surface a little push, or brush your finger on it to slow it down.

D. You can use the edge of the platter.

I use a combination of all of these things, but the idea when making adjustments is to do it as quickly and accurately as possible, and you'll figure out which way to do things given certain situations.

Then it's just a case of plugging away at it and putting the practice in.

Wow! Thanks you for you input! It is very knowledgable ! I like the tips you point out here I have a couple of instrumental vynils so I can get right on practicing like this. Nice advice man +rep

Sigma
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
No problem!

The main thing is to have fun with it and not get too frustrated if you're having trouble doing it at first, or if you're not progressing at the rate you'd like. It's something we've all gone through and with practice you'll soon hit that breakthrough point where you can do it consistently enough to start trying to make some mixes. Once you get to that stage, your beatmatching will get tighter and tighter over time just from doing it as part of mixing.