PDA

View Full Version : Using someone else art for a business card?

Kingbob182
07-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, as the title suggests, I'm looking into the implications of using someone's art on a business card. Just a basic texture design for a background.
I know the content doesn't make a difference but am I likely to have any trouble if I just pick a texture from deviantART and use it as my background.
I'm sure everyone does it but I'm just not positive I'll stay out of trouble. I'm trying to get a mobile business together and I want to do everything right the first time to avoid trouble later on.
I'm fairly sure it's illegal but is it pretty safe anyway?
Are there free places I can grab this stuff from anyway?

windspeed36
07-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Get this moved to the art and graphics area?

Kingbob182
07-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry, didn't realise there is one.

thehadgi
07-15-2012, 07:52 PM
You'll need to get the rights from the artist if it's from that website. I used a deviant's artwork for my first album, paid about 50 bucks for a non-exclusive license to be able to use it.

Not sure if every artist has it listed on their page, but you'll need to contact them and ask permission, whether it's free or costs money, to make it legit if you want to do it the 'right' way. Even if you find a site with 'free' textures, you'll see that most likely if you use it for non-personal use you still have to either pay money for a license or sign something; technically speaking there has to be some sort of permission granted

Synaxis
07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure you answered your own question.

That's like downloading your music from beemp3.com or mp3raid.com. Unless the author has given you or everyone else permission to use it, your stealing.

Send them a message, and ask. Say your willing to pay some money to use it if you like the texture that much.

I usually get my images from image stock websites, such as iStockPhoto or Dreamstime.

Marc S
07-16-2012, 04:58 AM
to be fair, MOST textures etc are put on places like that for this very reason, and most will have a disclaimer if they do not wish you to use it, but shooting the author an email wont hurt. if not, just re make it, its a texture how hard can it be?