PDA

View Full Version : ways to develope my My Scratching

DJ Matt
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
hi guys

i had started a thread on the old forum looking for tips on how to get started with scratching and you guys helpet me out a lot.

i have not had much time to practise due to constant use of equipment for gigs and seldom bothering to hook it all up in my room when i get home, but recently i got me a numark NS7 so i have the opportunity to practise a bit

thanks to you guys advice i now have the "crab" technique which somehow even in the absence of practising , seems to have devoloped :eek: so im kinda happy about that

i know this is nothing special by the way, im not ready to unleash this on the eardrums of my audiences YET either LOL
there are clearly some timing issues and im not even pulling off all the moves cleanly
but i think i have some potential in there ? :P

i wuold like some tips on where to go from here, and what you would suggest would be the next things to i work on

thanks in advance

http://youtu.be/OWaye_gopto

DJArmani
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
How long have you been practicing? You sound pretty good already. Try beat juggling and try varying your combinations (ex: Crab, Flare, Crab, Crab, Flare)

DJ Matt
07-15-2012, 03:59 PM
thanks DJ armani, hope your right :P

i have practised on and off over the years but i would say i didnt really start to learn what scratching is about until i asked you guys back around november.

and as i said, my practise since then has been patchy (couple of months at best) but im hoping to make progress soon , and add it to my dj performance.. that video is the very first "public" display of my scratching LOL

i recorded that the day after i got the NS7
im workin now to try to do high and low pitched chirps without missing beats

but i have a lot to learn :/

Sigma
07-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Your scratching is pretty good man. The good thing is, you've learned some basic scratches and you're pulling them off quite well. I would personally forget using the cue button to do stab-type sounds though, as you did in that video with the "beat this" sample, because you can tell it's not real scratching and it sounds kinda lame IMO, solely because you're using it to try and mimic real scratching (if you know what I mean).

I would just keep doing what you're doing. Try and add new techniques to your arsenal of cuts over time and keep practicing, cos you're doing just fine!

I wrote a beginner's guide to scratching here: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?5240-Sigma-s-beginner-guide-to-scratching-(repost)

I'm not sure it will help you though as you are already beyond the level of the people that the guide is aimed at, but have a look anyway.