PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter what type of fog I use in a generic fog machine?

darkksyde
07-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a generic fog machine off eBay.

I have about 5 litres of fog liquid which I got from some Martin and Robe fog machines which I previously hired. Would this fog be okay to use in the generic fog machine? I looked at the fog machine and it only says "please use water based fog fluid only".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Synaxis
07-15-2012, 10:37 AM
As long as the 5 liters of fog fluid you have are WATER and not OIL based, you shouldn't have a problem.

Double check on the bottles to make sure it is water based.

Synergy
07-15-2012, 11:03 AM
As long as the 5 liters of fog fluid you have are WATER and not OIL based, you shouldn't have a problem.

Double check on the bottles to make sure it is water based.

seems legit

darkksyde
07-15-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't have the original bottles as I emptied the containers from the smoke machines into empty bottles, but I looked up the specs for both the Martin and the Robe and they both use only water based liquids so I assume I'm alright? Also, I mixed both the fog liquids from both machines together.

g-sep
07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Wait, there's OIL based fog solution? I don't know anything about visuals and such, but why do I feel like that would stain clothes? Or am I wrong?

instinct
07-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't have the original bottles as I emptied the containers from the smoke machines into empty bottles, but I looked up the specs for both the Martin and the Robe and they both use only water based liquids so I assume I'm alright? Also, I mixed both the fog liquids from both machines together.

Sounds like you should be fine. Oil Based is usually for Hazers, not fog machines.

Mystic
07-15-2012, 11:17 PM
The manuals should say which fluids to use in them. Martin will use only Martin or Gem fluid. If you use anything other than what the machine was built for, you risk damaging the machine.

Synaxis
07-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Wait, there's OIL based fog solution? I don't know anything about visuals and such, but why do I feel like that would stain clothes? Or am I wrong?

Yes, there are oil based fog and haze machines. However, from what I understand is that they are losing popularity, do to obvious reasons, oil. Oil will tend to leave a sticky residue on surfaces, which leads to some problems.

For example, it gets on your food, the floor may get slippery, someone is going to have to clean it up afterwords, and as you mentioned, it can stain clothing.

The manuals should say which fluids to use in them. Martin will use only Martin or Gem fluid. If you use anything other than what the machine was built for, you risk damaging the machine.

Mystic is right. If you are using a more "high end" fog or haze machine, you should only use the fluid recommended by the manufacturer.

However, since the OP mentioned his fog machine is "generic," made no mention of any fog fluid included with it, and having the manual state to use only water based fog fluid, I doubt there will be any issues.

Speaking of which, how do you feel about Black Label Premium Fog Fluid?

darkksyde
07-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Whats Black Label Premium Fog?

Also, with the smoke machine, i noticed that there's this string like seal around the nozzle. When the smoke machine heats up the string like stuff becomes really weak and I can just pull it off.

Is this a problem if I pull the remainder off? I assume its just the extra seal that the manufacturer hasn't got rid of.

Thanks

darkksyde
07-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Image Attached:
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/darkksyde1/DSC00426.jpg

Basically the seals still between the nozzle and the pipe, I'm just talking about removing the leftover seal as it seems to be weak and relatively easy to pull off