PDA

View Full Version : ZipDJ vs DJCity (Pop/Remix Selection)

NickJames
02-10-2012, 09:15 AM
I did this on DJF v.1 and I figured it was time to give it an update. I am going to take the Top 10 from Billboard's Pop Chart (http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/pop-songs) and compare the selection.

I will post comprehensive reviews of both sites later on.

Billboard - Pop Song Top 100 [Week of February 18, 2012]

Flo Rida - Good Feeling

ZipDJ *Winner*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 13
Number of "Studio Versions": 5- Radio, Super Clean, DJ Intro (Clean), Instrumental, DJ Intro and Outro (Clean)

DJCity

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 9
Number of "Studio Versions": 1 - Radio

Adele - Set Fire to the Rain

ZipDJ *Tie*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 6
Number of "Studio Versions": 1- Radio

DJCity *Tie*

Has It? Yes

Katy Perry - The One That Got Away

ZipDJ *Winner*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 18
Number of "Studio Versions": 5 - Radio, Album, Instrumental, Single, Acoustic

DJCity

Has It? Yes
Number of "Studio Versions": 2 - Radio, Radio ft. B.O.B.

Bruno Mars - It Will Rain

ZipDJ *Winner*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 5
Number of "Studio Versions": 1 - Single

DJCity

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 1

Rihanna - We Found Love ft. Calvin Harris

ZipDJ *Winner - Studio Versions*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 14
Number of "Studio Versions": 4 - Extended, Original Extended, Radio, Album

DJCity *Winner - Remixes*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 19
Number of "Studio Versions": 1 - Album

Jessie J - Domino

ZipDJ *Winner*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 4

DJCity

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 3
Number of "Studio Versions": 1 - Album

Selena Gomez - Love You Like a Love Song

ZipDJ *Winner - Remixes*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 13
Number of "Studio Versions": 0

DJCity *Winner - Studio Versions*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 4

David Guetta - Turn Me On ft. Nicki Minaj

ZipDJ *Winner*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 8
Number of "Studio Versions": 4 - Radio, Explicit, Instrumental, Single

DJCity

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 8

LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It

ZipDJ *Winner - Studio Versions*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 7
Number of "Studio Versions": 3 - Single, Instrumental, Radio

DJCity *Winner - Remixes*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 16

Gavin DeGraw - Not Over You

ZipDJ *Winner*

Has It? Yes
Number of Remixes: 1

DJCity

Has It? No
Number of Remixes: 0

----

Winner: ZipDJ

In almost all cases you will find more remixes and studio versions on ZipDJ; The extra couple dollars is worth it (ZipDJ is an extra $15/mo. when registering for 3 months).
ZipDJ also has hands-down better selection of house, techno, and other EDM when compared to DJCity.

----

Look for complete reviews of both pools in the coming days.

DYM
02-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Nice.. plus rep when I get home. I personally use both for music :tup:

DJ Ish
02-10-2012, 10:07 AM
I just went to the site but there is a $45 difference!

NickJames
02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I just went to the site but there is a $45 difference!

On the 3 mo. plans.

Which is only $15/mo. difference... I can spend that on coffee at Starbucks in a single day. That said, it's true that DJCity wins hands down on price but the extra cash for ZipDJ gives you better support and selection... I will cover the full breakdown of pros/cons to each in my full reviews.

DJ ATX
02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
For an actively gigging DJ that is cheap.

djbigchamp
02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
thanks for posting. i'm looking for a dj pool and i was leaning towards djcity...zipdj looks pretty dope too ;).

DJWhiteChoco
02-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Nice... i love DJcity but i will check this out!
thanks!

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 11:59 AM
great post... +rep

g-sep
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I love zipdj since I joined last year. Whatever I've needed for gigs, they hooked me up!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

unknown00
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
good review, thanks, but the price difference makes me not want to go to zipdj. if it was cheaper than djcity, then you REALLY have a winner!

djkvg
02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
more remixes doesn't mean its better lol...... yeah they have more of a selection but they can be mediocre remixes =P

NickJames
02-10-2012, 02:31 PM
more remixes doesn't mean its better lol...... yeah they have more of a selection but they can be mediocre remixes =P

True, but the remixes are often the same or similar and ZipDJ just has more of them. The more remixes available the more likely you are to find a remix that matches your style or find that remix that is super hot on youtube or whatever.

In almost all cases the most commercial remixes (Dave Audo, Liam Keegan, Moto Blanco, Mikael Wills, and so forth) are the same on both. It is the more obscure remixes that differ and that you will find more of on ZipDJ and personally I don't want the same remixes everyone else has so that works for me.

The selection of EDM is also better as zipDJ has the following categories:

AC/Hot AC
Country
Dance
|-- Club/Vocal/Dance
|-- DJ Tools
|-- Electronic
|----|-- Chill/Lounge/Downtempo
|----|-- Dubstep/Drum and Bass/Breaks
|----|-- Electronica
|-- Euro/Freestyle
|-- Hard Dance
|-- House
|----|-- Electro/Tech-House/Minimal
|----|-- DJ Tools
|----|-- Progressive/Tribal
|----|-- Soul/Funky/Deep
|----|-- Techno
|-- Trance
|----|-- Psy-trance
|----|-- Trance
Latin
Pop
Rock/Alternative
Urban
|-- Hip-Hop
|-- R&B/Soul
|-- Reggae
|-- Urban DJ Tools

a-mart
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Agreed, I'm extremely satisfied with zipdj

Gnozis
02-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Is every track 320k?

NickJames
02-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Is every track 320k?

Yes, they are all 320Kbps MP3s. And, you can download batches of 20 in a single zip file to shorten the download time on slower connections.

Gnozis
02-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Nice, will definitely look into their pool when my current subscription is up.

Wakka
02-11-2012, 12:46 AM
+ repped your original comparo on DJF1.0 is the reason i got zipdj... i still use it to this day... so thanks!

djbenxh
02-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Wondering if zipDJ provides a 8 bar intro beat for their songs?

Kingbob182
02-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Wondering if zipDJ provides a 8 bar intro beat for their songs?

It does for some. Stuff that doesnt have its own intro but not in all cases. there are still releases without an intro which sucks.

Kingbob182
02-11-2012, 04:45 AM
I love zipdj.
It has a lot of stuff on there which Ive never heard of but can tell it will be a hit by the chart position on the site (Im in Australia. Music generally tops charts a month later here than in US)
Makes it very easy for me to get on top of new tunes asap.

DJ Highline
02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
I may have to look into this...It may be worth carrying all 3 services (DJ City, Zip DJ & Promo Only) for a truly active DJ (3 gigs/week @ $150-200 each). That would equate to about $100/month on music subscriptions. And if you buy Zip DJ for the year its only $35/month...now that's still $420 out of pocket, but not a bad deal if you have a little extra cash. Plus if you are set up properly, you can write it off as a tax deduction at the end of the year anyway.

Lost Connection
02-11-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm a happy customer of ZipDJ. Gotta respect their customer service, and ofc, the track bundling into zip files = faster downloads and one click to download ~30 tracks. Don't have any experience on the other services though.

Somedj
02-11-2012, 08:37 AM
I carry djc, been using it forever. They just recently released a phone app that allows you to stay up to date while on the go. You can select tracks you plan on downloading when you get home and they sit in a "que" until you do so. Kind of a handy little app when you're sitting in line at the DMV and want to stay productive.

Zipdj also sounds great and I'll admit their site is VERY nice, whereas the djc site is kind of dated. DJC is very minimalistic when it comes to their site, and zip has some nice looking bells and whistles. A dj with steady work would be do well in signing up for one or the other, or even both. The only thing Im not too sure about is the fact that Zipdj is Canada based and djc is Cali based, so I dont know how that would affect legalities and such. Im going to assume it doesnt, as there are MANY US based djs who use the zipdj service.

I know from personal experience that the djc customer service is top friggin notch. You submit an issue and its almost instantly responded to by one of their csr's. Once again, I dont you could go wrong either way.

JeremyJ
02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Awesome post +rep

funkyfresh
02-13-2012, 12:48 AM
I never heard of zipdj until this thread. Tempted to give them a try...

Frank112916
02-13-2012, 05:28 AM
I'd love a review of both. I'm really in need of a change from mymp3pool. It's a pain to navigate and zipdj looks real nice and thought out.

I am just wondering about their old school/throwback selection and pre-2008/2007 selection because my mp3pool is piss poor in those departments.

Also how is their Latin selection? I want to spin *a little* reggaeton just to throw into the mix at the club once in a while but cant find much I like and don't know the genre very well.

Any help from anyone on here who uses these services would be great. I only spin one night a week so I can only afford one.

Lost Connection
02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I can do a review of ZipDJ if you'd like, say during the weekend? I'm a bit busy with prom and stuff before that, but on Saturday I could work that out.

Somedj
02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd love a review of both. I'm really in need of a change from mymp3pool. It's a pain to navigate and zipdj looks real nice and thought out.

I am just wondering about their old school/throwback selection and pre-2008/2007 selection because my mp3pool is piss poor in those departments.

Also how is their Latin selection? I want to spin *a little* reggaeton just to throw into the mix at the club once in a while but cant find much I like and don't know the genre very well.

Any help from anyone on here who uses these services would be great. I only spin one night a week so I can only afford one.

Honestly, from what Ive seen from old djforums to 2.0, Nick James was the best source of zipdj info that I ever read. He did a really great write up once before. Also, if you go to their site, they have a free trial week that allows you to run around in their site and check it out. With DJC you can do the same and you can preview tracks as well.

Anomoly
02-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone know which pool is best if trying to get a lot of pre 2009 and 'ol school' throwbacks?

jazzyj
03-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Hmmm i'm currently with 8thwonder. Not thrilled. Search features SUCK! No multiple-downloads handler (altho advertised, been broken for over a year). They do generally have what I need, but a lot of the remixes are meh.

Interracial Tea
03-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Anyone know which pool is best if trying to get a lot of pre 2009 and 'ol school' throwbacks?

directmusicservice.com from what I've heard. It's pricey, but their selection is supposed to be great.

KLH
03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
How does Promo Only's new Pool compare will ZipDJ or DJCity?

My disc subscription ends pretty soon. The only feedback that I remember from DJFv1 is that PO doesn't have dirty versions (which I normally don't use anyway). I wouldn't mind getting into instrumentals and acappellas.

-KLH

djshellyshell
03-07-2012, 07:36 AM

I like crateconnect.net. Good selection plus price is good at $10 a month. After this post, I may consider switching from DJcity to Zipdj

jazzyj
03-07-2012, 07:39 AM
I like crateconnect.net. Good selection plus price is good at $10 a month. After this post, I may consider switching from DJcity to Zipdj

CrateConnect - We Are Djs - We are upgrading the site. We will be back soon. Thank You. The CrateConnect Team

Sadness. I was excited :(

djshellyshell
03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
It is a good site... They must have put that up today. I would say try back later.

CrateConnect - We Are Djs - We are upgrading the site. We will be back soon. Thank You. The CrateConnect Team

Sadness. I was excited :(