PDA

View Full Version : Generators

Sween
02-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Okay I'm looking to buy a generator...

Off the record, I want to have it for my house, as we lose power several times a year. I want to be able to power up my fridge, my boiler/pump in winter, few lights, TV, and maybe a small window AC in the summer. I think 3000 Watts is ideal, but maybe I can get away with 2000 W? FYI 2000W model is really rated for 1600Watts (13 amps). Note: I will NOT be running everything at the same time. Biggest load is probably the AC unit and fridge at the same time.

I also want an inverter type... as I will want the ability to use for DJ work. I want it lightweight, compact, and quiet, as well as dependable. (If Uncle Sam asks, It will be used for 100% DJ work, I will just "exercise" it when the lights go out at home)

I hear Honda EU is the name here.

Any others? Emphasis on reliability here! I don't want someone's used RV Onan! Do you think I NEED 3000 Watts? Cause they are MUCH more expensive as well as larger and heavier!

If I use a generator for DJ work, it will not be for a large setup...

What would you charge to bring a generator? $100? $200... don't forget that I need to charge them for the gas.

Also... what do you think about selling an "insurance" policy... like for an extra $50, I bring the generator in case the power goes out in a thunderstorm... Or maybe just bring it anyway, leave it in the car, and if the power goes out I can charge them $200 to keep the party going? Or maybe just do it for free and be the "hero" who saved the wedding.

Sween
02-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Am actually seeing the EU 2000 companion has the ability to tandem two together... hmmm, maybe one now, and one later... Anybody ever done that?

wilson
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
I bought a JD Tek 3500 watts locally at Sutherlands about 4 years ago. That thing has been an absolute TANK. I use it for tailgating (power couple speakers, crock pot, misc.) and works great. People always comment on how quiet it is. BUT, it's still noisy I think. I mean, I run it behind my vehicle, and turn the tunes on and you can't hear it. BUT, it's no Honda EU. Those things, if you can afford it, are the BOMB. I paid like 400 bucks for mine. Anyway, 3500 Watts, when my power goes out, powers a 32" TV in the kitchen, 2 refrigerators, deep freeze, few lights and just chugs along fine. ...if that helps at all?

Sween
02-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah but I'm afraid to buy a non-inverter based on what I've heard.

Tailgating is one thing but a wedding ceremony on the beach is another...

DYM
02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Not an expert but.. saw the Honda 6500 IS? running a whole food truck, super quiet, will post a picture I took later on.

DJMC
02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I'd buy a Honda --- if I was planning on buying a generator.

However, I don't run off generator power as a rule. If I find out the venue has "no power available" -- I run like hell.

My calendar stays pretty full without having to settle for "outdoor events with no power".

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings (http://www.dj-mc.com)

Sween
02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I'd buy a Honda --- if I was planning on buying a generator.

However, I don't run off generator power as a rule. If I find out the venue has "no power available" -- I run like hell.

My calendar stays pretty full without having to settle for "outdoor events with no power".

I don't NEED it... but I want it for my own use... so I figured if I have it I might as well try to use it for DJ work. I have gotten requests before for ceremonies on the beach and in the middle of public parks.

DJMC
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
I would never perform "on a beach."

SAND is the culprit. All it takes is a small gust of wind to blow sand into my Rane MP-24z (my ceremony mixer).

I guess I'm in the minority here!

(We too could use a generator for our home, but our power outages are few and far between, like 1x every 10 years)

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings (http://www.dj-mc.com)

Sween
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
(We too could use a generator for our home, but our power outages are few and far between, like 1x every 10 years)

Opposite for me, like 10 times every 1 year! We have a lot of trees in our development. We lose power on almost every passing thunderstorm in the summer and often in snow or ice storms in the winter. Occasionally it's out for days. Usually it goes out in the late afternoon thunderstorms and comes back on the following morning... and usually it happens on the hottest/most humid days of the year. Occasionally we luck out and have a good year but last year was the worst... Especially during hurricane Irene where we ended up with a flooded first level because the pump couldn't run.

fueledbymusic
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I ran my DJ equipment and lights for a while using a CPE inverter2000. Did its job good! check out my vid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l0x41k_lk

djtanveer
02-12-2012, 01:33 AM
I do a lot of indian weddings where the grom comes in on a horse and everyone dances around them. traditionally there would be a solo drummer playing but now we have been renting out a truck setup that has a full dj system in the bed. I have a no name 6500 watt generator for this but i only need 2-3000 watts. and based on all of the research ive done the best generator is the honda EU series (eu3000).

heres a video for those of you who are curious: http://youtu.be/SLHQB6aRo-g