PDA

View Full Version : Mixer for sampling from vinyls!!!

ntelpieros
07-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello guys. I am interested in buying a mixer for sampling vinyls. Now i am scratching with RANE TTM56S. I am looking for a mixer with really really really good sound quality. I have read good reviews for ALLEN & HEATH XONE 32 , Ecler SMAC Pro 40 and rane empath ... Also i have read that the best mixers for this task is Bozak and the old series Urei but i can t find anything of that... I would like to have your opinions about that!

Thank you in advance!!!

Manu
07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Laptop + ableton live combined with 3 channel mixer if you plan on live sampling. Also, you don't need to post the same thread 3 times.

AdrianR
07-14-2012, 08:08 AM
You can do it on a DJM 800. If you use theeeee Roll effect I think it was, set the paramaters all the way then you can create a loop and take the needle off the record. It's not the BEST way of doing it though, because then when you cue the next record, all the cueing is played through the master. But if you have more than 2 channels it can sometimes save you when the record is about to end and you have nothing on the second turntable.

DTR
07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
What exactly do you want to do? If you want to record samples to scratch or produce with later (using Serato / Traktor etc) then you don't need a mixer at all. Get a good phono preamp and an external soundcard.

Estacy
07-14-2012, 09:50 AM
^this, dont buy a mixer, its not necessary. A phono pre amp, soundcard and audacity (free, works great) together with a proper element/needle. Not a DJ needle, but a Grado (not the DJ200i, that one hums too much) or Ortofon Arkiv if you want to go a bit cheaper.

ntelpieros
07-14-2012, 11:53 AM
NO NO NO. I dont want mixer for live sampling.... i want it for sampling in order to take a loop and make music productions... that s why i want the best possible sound quality.

JuxtaPoser
07-14-2012, 11:56 AM
NO NO NO. I dont want mixer for live sampling.... i want it for sampling in order to take a loop and make music productions... that s why i want the best possible sound quality.

Yeah, so do what DTR and Estacy have said... You don't need a mixer at all, it will only serve to complicate things and degrade the soundquality etc.

pete
07-15-2012, 06:35 AM
:stupid:
phono amps on DJ mixers are of the cheapest and lowest quality level.
dj mixers are vastly overpriced because they fit a target market and are performance instruments.
even spending about 150 euros on a soundcard will get you better than the best DJ mixers out there with regards to sound quality for sampling.

ntelpieros
07-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Ok i understood.Well do you have any pre amp to recommend ? Until now for this task i have mk2 SL-1210, Needle : Ortofon arkiv , Soundcard : Duet apogge 2 . I have read the brand AVALON has a very good sound quality... but i read also that the pre amp must be compatible with needle 's outputs. Also do you have to recommend a better needle? I have read good reviews for Ortofon Arkiv but if there is anything better even a little bit more expensive let me know.

Thank you in advance!

LJay
07-16-2012, 04:53 AM
If you want good quality, but keep the budget low, I recommend Pro-Ject Phonobox II USB (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=phonoboxusb&cat=boxes&lang=en) and a good cartridge, like Audio Technica AT95E/110E/120E/440E, Shure M97XE or Stanton 680EL/681EEE, Ortofon Arkiv/OM10 etc.
I've had very good results with Technics SL1200LTD, rubbermat, Pro-Ject and Stanton 680.

EDIT: Check out Audio Technica AT110E. It's very reasonable priced.

Panotaker
07-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Ljay gave you the best advise as far as sound quality, If you where going to rip a bunch of full length albums, that would be a good route to take, but before you spend a dime, try using what you already have. I own both a Bozak and an Urei, and unless you have bionic ears, you won't be able to tell the difference whether you made your sample using a Bozak, a high dollar phono preamp, or your Rane mixer. Unless your needle is completely shot, I wouldn't go out and buy a new cartridge either. I own a Shure M97X cartridge, it is an audiophile cartridge. I have it mounted on my SL-1200GLD, There is not a night and day difference between that setup and my old mk2 with my m44 cartridge on it. So I would try recording first with what you have and see how it sounds.

ntelpieros
07-17-2012, 06:26 AM
I am looking for a preamp around 400-700 euros.Have you anything to recommend?

Windows 95
07-17-2012, 08:39 AM
If you want good quality, but keep the budget low, I recommend Pro-Ject Phonobox II USB (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=phonoboxusb&cat=boxes&lang=en) and a good cartridge, like Audio Technica AT95E/110E/120E/440E, Shure M97XE or Stanton 680EL/681EEE, Ortofon Arkiv/OM10 etc.
I've had very good results with Technics SL1200LTD, rubbermat, Pro-Ject and Stanton 680.

EDIT: Check out Audio Technica AT110E. It's very reasonable priced.I agree with the preamp, but definitely not the Ortofon OM Arkiv. Of the carts listed, the Shure M97xE is the one I would recommend.

If they sell them in Greece, I highly recommend the Jolida JD9 for a reasonably priced (About $500 in the USA.) high quality phono preamp. And by swapping out the stock tubes, you can tailor it to your own tastes.

For a really good sounding moving-coil cart for any style of music, I highly recommend the Dynavector 10X5. (About $450 in the USA.)

If you're not using a Technics (or Stanton ST-150) turntable, you should buy a Hi-Fi (belt drive) turntable. If you've got a lot of records to record, I'd go ahead & buy (or borrow) one even if you do have a Technics.

The Music Hall MMF-2.2 (About $500 in the USA.) is a pretty good entry level Hi-Fi turntable.

Also the Pro-Ject Debut III (About $330 in the USA.), the Pro-Ject Essential USB (About $400 in the USA.), the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (About $400 in the USA.), the Rega RP1 (About $450 in the USA.) & the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB (About $500 in the USA.) are pretty good entry level Hi-Fi turntables.

Windows 95
07-17-2012, 09:12 AM
5char

JamesRoss
07-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I used to have an audiophile magizine from Japan with carts going for more than $10,000.00 Dollars, not Yen. Increadible. you should get one of those.

Windows 95
07-17-2012, 08:21 PM
carts going for more than $10,000.00 Dollars
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/CheapCharley/Oresto/phonocarts.jpg

Windows 95
07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
I used to have an audiophile magizine from Japan with carts going for more than $10,000.00 Dollars, not Yen. Increadible. you should get one of those.For most people using his Rane TTM 56S, any decent DJ turntable & just getting a Shure M97xE cartridge is going to sound good enough.

LJay
07-18-2012, 05:54 AM
^But you'll still need a good ADC. Do not record directly to your computers audio in. Use USB/Firewire interface instead. Still IMO Ortofon Arkiv (/DJ E) is a decent cartridge for recording electronic music.

Windows 95
07-18-2012, 08:38 AM
^But you'll still need a good ADC. Do not record directly to your computers audio in.For most people just hooking your mixer's RCA (Rec) outs to your PC's RCA ins should be good enough. If you're using a laptop, you've probably got Serato, Traktor, Torq or something similar you can use for recording. If not, USB phono interfaces aren't very expensive.

American Audio Audio Genie II $40
http://www.guitarcenter.com/American-Audio-Audio-Genie-II-USB-Phono-Interface-500861-i1427371.gc

I bought this one several years ago & still have it. (I've never had any problems with it.)
Alesis PhonoLink $50
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-PhonoLink-Stereo-to-USB-Cable-712718-i1520490.gc

But I'm getting the impression from this thread that Ntelpieros wants more than just good enough.
The Bellari VP-530 USB Phono Preamp (About $400 in the USA.) looks like a really nice USB phono preamp, but I personally don't know anyone who has one.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-VP-530-USB-Phono-Preamp

Panotaker
07-18-2012, 03:20 PM
The OP said he wanted to rip some samples, not the whole record. It makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars to record a two second sample, but it is his money. He can spend it as he wishes. It will sound excellent with the equipment he has right now, assuming he has a good clean record, and a good needle.