PDA

View Full Version : USB audio interface for recording via a laptop?

Sigma
02-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I've never had to use anything like this, so I don't know what's good. A friend of mine is looking for something he can use to record via his laptop, so it needs to be able to connect via USB.

Price is not hugely important, but he only needs it for recording mixes so he won't need anything too crazy.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Nicadraus
02-10-2012, 08:10 AM
For simple recording purposes, the Behringer UCA-202/UCA-222 will do the job. I have the 202 and still use it for quick recordings and vinyl ripping. It's really cheap and handy. But since money is not an issue, then the Audio 2 DJ will be perfect.

Lazerick
02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
My friend was in the same situation and we came across this:
SIIG SNDWAVE 7.1 DIGITAL - works great
http://l.yimg.com/ck/image/A9477/947783/470_947783.jpg

I heard this was a good device also:
Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202:
http://www.behringer.com/assets/UCA202_P0484_Reflective_web.jpg

I have this and I love it, might be a little over kill though:
alesis multimix 8 usb fx - not too expensive ($150 US)
http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/22/712c29b94315edc5a6fbbbf722700ab6/large/alesis_multimix8usbfx_angle_large.jpg

drzinc
02-10-2012, 08:15 AM
What software is he using to dj or is he doing it the old fashioned way decks and a mixer?

Sigma
02-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Cheers gents.

He's using Serato (SL1) and vinyl.

B3NNY
02-10-2012, 11:36 AM
I know a lot of people just get a RCA to 1/8" stereo jack wire and connect from their mixer to the MIC input on their laptop and record their mixes using Audacity (free open source software for Mac and PC)

Sween
02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
I have an Akai EIE Pro... but I also use it for recording vocals or mic'ing my guitar amp. Maybe more than you need for this.

Lazerick
02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I know a lot of people just get a RCA to 1/8" stereo jack wire and connect from their mixer to the MIC input on their laptop and record their mixes using Audacity (free open source software for Mac and PC)
Using the MIC input for a line level signal is highly UN-recommended too much attenuation is needed (40-50dB) to match the signal levels and that just sucks.

Panotaker
02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I recommend getting rid of the laptop all together and use a handheld digital recorder. It is a lot more convenient and doesn't tie up your laptop.

B3NNY
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Using the MIC input for a line level signal is highly UN-recommended too much attenuation is needed (40-50dB) to match the signal levels and that just sucks.

You obviously can make sure the input is set to Line level inside your PC/Mac and manually switch it if need be.

Lazerick
02-10-2012, 01:26 PM
You obviously can make sure the input is set to Line level inside your PC/Mac and manually switch it if need be.
I have never seen that option on a PC and i have only heard of it on a MAC

B3NNY
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Thought it was pretty common. My last 2 PC's had it, my last 2 laptops had it including my newest one. Search around, you'll see that a lot of people record their sets this way. It's nothing new

Lazerick
02-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Thought it was pretty common. My last 2 PC's had it, my last 2 laptops had it including my newest one. Search around, you'll see that a lot of people record their sets this way. It's nothing new

Everyone I heard that tried recording thru the MIC sounded distorted, lots of them on stickam, using a Line-in/Line level input has always given me the best sound in the situation the OP described.

B3NNY
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Everyone I heard that tried recording thru the MIC sounded distorted, lots of them on stickam, using a Line-in/Line level input has always given me the best sound in the situation the OP described.

Ok, I can see you're just gonna be stubborn about this, so I quit.

Sigma;
I suggest trying out recording thru Audacity. The software is free, easy to use, and many people do it this way. Obviously make sure your input is set to Line level (it's not rocket science, but apparently it's a hard concept to grasp)

thehadgi
02-10-2012, 02:42 PM
For simple recording purposes, the Behringer UCA-202/UCA-222 will do the job. I have the 202 and still use it for quick recordings and vinyl ripping. It's really cheap and handy. But since money is not an issue, then the Audio 2 DJ will be perfect.

UCA 202 would def work. It's cheapest I've seen, and I've produced everything on my soundcloud with it. I used it to record my moog voyager for my track 'of chorus', and I think the recording turned out well. I'm investing to buy an mbox soon, as I'm getting into production more seriously ow, but for recording DJ mixes it would more than adequately perform the job. Cheap, <b>lightweight</b>, and good quality. I think the determining factor of sound quality will be the bit rate of your friend's music, along with any touch ups he might do in post.

Mine's lasted 4 years almost, but I would venture to say that's not normal probably for all uca 202's. Can't beat it's portability, simplicity, and quality for 35-40 bucks IMO. If money isn't an issue though, something more like Audio 2 DJ or better would prob be preferable.

thehadgi
02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I also would advise against a MIC input; if the mixes are going to be shared to people, it's worth putting some $ into something designed to record audio rather than trying to make do.

B3NNY
02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I also would advise against a MIC input; if the mixes are going to be shared to people, it's worth putting some $ into something designed to record audio rather than trying to make do.

Here's another one :rolleyes: . It's for recording a mix....unless his soundcard is terrible there's no way you'll be able to tell the difference between this and an external interface.

mostapha
02-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Use a line input and that works.

If he actually wants a sound card and doesn't want it for anything else, I'm impressed with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. For <$150, you get decent converters and direct hardware monitoring. The pres kind of sound bleh, but…they're interface pres. They all suck.

thehadgi
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Here's another one :rolleyes: . It's for recording a mix....unless his soundcard is terrible there's no way you'll be able to tell the difference between this and an external interface.

Well, if you can't tell the difference between a cheap mic input on a laptop vs. a dedicated audio interface, I guess it's fine for you then

l0ckd0wn
02-10-2012, 05:02 PM

9/10 PCs are mic only. Apple based PCs have the ability to switch, but that's a pretty exclusive feature.

:stupid:

What brands/models? I've not seen this at all and you are implying that this is run-of-the-mill.

Again, if it's a mic level and not a line level, it sounds like sh!t, plain and simple. It's not about being stubborn, it's just that the majority of us here have only seen a "switch to line level" option on Macs.

You are acting like people are splitting hairs when obviously most of us have not seen a line level option available. I'm going to look through my i5 Lenovo right now to see if it is available.

Again, give us some examples.

EDIT:

Is this what you are talking about?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/l0ckd0wn420/mic_level_vs_line_level.png

I've only seen this on this laptop and didn't even know it was there, but I still recommend an inexpensive dedicated sound card for any type of recording or broadcasting... But that is just me.

B3NNY
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
My desktop PC's are long gone, and I don't remember exact model. My Last two laptops that had it were an Asus K60IJ-Rbbbr05 and a HP 8560p. No that picture is NOT what I am talking about. Its under the control panel/manage sound devices/recording....should have an option for Line in or line in stereo mix or some ish like that. Again this isn't anything new, people have been recording this way for a long time..welcome to the party.

mostapha
02-10-2012, 06:43 PM
9/10 PCs are mic only. Apple based PCs have the ability to switch, but that's a pretty exclusive feature.

Nope.

Apple laptops only have line inputs. They have actual microphones, but that's different.

And I did my time on PCs. Every single one of them had a line input. It was labeled "mic", but you could turn off the preamp in software.

Maybe things have changed. I haven't even pretended to consider doing audio work with a PC since 2006. But I doubt it.

B3NNY
02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, if you can't tell the difference between a cheap mic input on a laptop vs. a dedicated audio interface, I guess it's fine for you then

You don't know what you're talking about. You shouldn't comment if you've never done it before, or listened to a mix knowing that its been recorded in this way.

mostapha
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
I'd never put out a mix for sale recorded with a normal line in on a laptop, but...it's not a huge deal.

Other than low latency performance, the difference between a cheap interface and a good one is pretty subtle. A LOT of people can hear it. I can. But if you're on a budget, it's the last thing you should be worrying about. Set your levels correctly and it won't be the thing holding you back.

Now, that doesn't mean that you should want to record like that. There are significant differences. But it's not like that is going to be the difference between a good mix tape and a bad one.

l0ckd0wn
02-11-2012, 08:34 PM
My desktop PC's are long gone, and I don't remember exact model. My Last two laptops that had it were an Asus K60IJ-Rbbbr05 and a HP 8560p. No that picture is NOT what I am talking about. Its under the control panel/manage sound devices/recording....should have an option for Line in or line in stereo mix or some ish like that. Again this isn't anything new, people have been recording this way for a long time..welcome to the party.

Yeah I work with computers for a living and still don't know what you are talking about then. So please post a screen shot and stop acting like this is common knowledge, there is multiple people requesting this information.

alt+PrtScn to take a window shot.

B3NNY
02-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah I work with computers for a living and still don't know what you are talking about then. So please post a screen shot and stop acting like this is common knowledge, there is multiple people requesting this information.

alt+PrtScn to take a window shot.

wow you're stubborn. Just give it up. I'm sorry that you didn't know it exists. Why don't you search the internet and do some research bout it, instead of mucking up this poor guys thread w/ nonsense posts.

ampnation
02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't know about recording, but I know for output the difference between using the headphone 1/8" output and using a AVID mobilepre audio interface was staggering. I mainly got it originally to avoid the problem of static when bumping the connection - on my thinkpad the connection is front and middle and easily bumped. But after getting the mobilepre, I'll never use the 1/8 connections again. From my understanding, one of the limiting factors is simply the amount of surface area available for the analog connection -- that, and most internal soundcards on laptops aren't so great. Of course that isn't the case on all laptops.

To the OP I would say the above advice is good. Just look for features you think you might want to use in the future so you don't outgrow the interface. Also consider something like some of the smaller Yamaha MG line mixer or Allen & Heath ZED mixers with USB recording (like the ZED 10 FX) for really good sounds in which case you have a lot of options for input. I know the price is higher, but you might find the extra features and other uses, useful.

mostapha
02-12-2012, 02:17 AM
I can't imagine recording through a mixer like that. Seems back asswards.

Also, don't buy M-Audio (which the mobilepre is…they're apparently starting to roll out the m-audio line). I've never had an m-audio product function 100%. They're almost to the level of Behringer with me. Them and Tascam. So many headaches.

l0ckd0wn
02-12-2012, 06:31 AM
wow you're stubborn. Just give it up. I'm sorry that you didn't know it exists. Why don't you search the internet and do some research bout it, instead of mucking up this poor guys thread w/ nonsense posts.

Well I'm stubborn because you didn't provide the OP with a solution, this just works for you because this is what your sound card is capable of. All you posted is your sound devices, and I see you have 2 separate devices and one is not active - I'm guessing that the port can be configured. News flash: This is the sound device on your computer and not every sound card on every laptop has that option. So really, I'm just trying to make sure that I understand what you are saying and make it clear that other's may not be able to do that. My i5 Lenovo does not and it's within a year old.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/l0ckd0wn420/sound_devices.png

As of the OP, Sigma, I'd just get an inexpensive USB card for ~30. Lots of options and the recordings will come out better.

B3NNY
02-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Well I'm stubborn because you didn't provide the OP with a solution, this just works for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yS57gXl5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt7IRK4Iujw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b08ywtstoxY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJKVLC8fNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDWBfanpx9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sIu7khfzi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmbGvjEyNVo

thehadgi
02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
http://h.images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/14481591.jpg

yo b3nny, take a chill pill dude, we get it that some laptops can record that way