PDA

View Full Version : Scratching with CDJs

kickassDJ25
07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm trying to learn how to scratch for the first time, and I'm trying on a CDJ 1000. So how does it compare scratching to a turntable? easier? same? harder?

I'm finding it really difficult to be honest. I've been looking on youtube for "scratching with a cdj" and the videos aren't great. DJ Angelo's video are the best out there but he used a TT in them.

So how do u guys find scratching on a CDJ?

I'm using a DJM800, which way should I have the cross fader selected?

Any tips you'd like to share for me and the rest of the newbie's out there?

all the best,
KADJ

Rek_Aviles
07-12-2012, 10:15 AM
imho, it doesn't compare. Both are different and there is a learning curve when going from one to the other.

Nothing compares to vinyl, when it comes to scratching, but you can definitely learn on CDJs. As for tutorials, I don't think you'll find many showing you the basics on CDJs (or any CD deck), if any. Just try to mimic what you see ppl do on turn tables, as it's mostly about the mixer x-fader work anyway.

kickassDJ25
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
cheers pal. Are all the scratch samples the same to work with? like is there ones that are easier than others? the ones I have are from DJ city and they acapallas on them so there tricky to scratch with

sephi
07-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Check the QBert Do It Yourself videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/tothepadastyle/videos

Also check out Ellaskins' tutorials. https://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins/videos

You want some typical "ahh" and "fresssshhhh" samples. If you go to the Thud Rumble site, they have WAV and mp3 versions of classic battle records like Super Seal. Googling around can net you some classic samples for free.

You want to set the crossfader to the sharpest/fastest curve possible. /---\ instead of X.

Any tutorial for turntables should translate over to CD decks.

Rek_Aviles
07-12-2012, 11:17 AM
You want some typical "ahh" and "fresssshhhh" samples. If you go to the Thud Rumble site, they have WAV and mp3 versions of classic battle records like Super Seal. Googling around can net you some classic samples for free.

Yah, the ahh and fresh samples, although used to death, are great to practice with. You can really hear what you're doing with those 2.

Sigma
07-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Not CDJs, but CD decks: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7s4p8-kHBo

While I would agree that nothing stacks up to vinyl for scratching - which is why you hardly ever see scratch DJs using CDJs outside of product demos like this - you can still do some really good stuff with CD turntables.

sss18734
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I only know the basics, but the large rotating turntable platter is much easier for me to work with. Scratching with my CDJ's isnt as fun or precise.

Rek_Aviles
07-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I only know the basics, but the large rotating turntable platter is much easier for me to work with. Scratching with my CDJ's isnt as fun or precise.

Yah, and I think that was the biggest learning curve for me. The smaller the platter, the closer the back and forth moments will be.

Second biggest learning cure was the feel and the lack of resistance when you hold record on a turning platter. Also, the turning platter also gives you a visual (with or without markers), helping you get back to the beginning or the sample.

kickassDJ25
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm actually finding it difficult to find the "ahh" and "fresh" scratch sample, does anyone know where I can them? the ones I've downloaded so far are really poor quality

sss18734
07-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I can send you some samples if you PM me your email. Might not be until tomorrow though.

kickassDJ25
07-12-2012, 02:03 PM
pm send my good friend

kickassDJ25
07-14-2012, 06:16 AM
still on the lookout for scratch samples if anyone can kindly provide me with some :)

3owls.ca
07-15-2012, 09:59 PM
still on the lookout for scratch samples if anyone can kindly provide me with some :)

You an get some here:
http://digitaldjtools.net/tools/classic-scratch-samples/