PDA

View Full Version : Requests - any "modern" way of handling them now?

KLH
02-10-2012, 07:38 AM
We all hate requests - I get that. This isn't to complain about requests as much as it is about handling requests. As a mobile dj, I'm always interested in new ways of getting requests without being bothered.

I've seen the old pad & pencil set out for guests to use and I've seen nothing (which invites the DJ to be interrupted IMHO). I wonder if there's a modern way to handle requests - like maybe using a temporary email or twitter account - that keeps the DJ from being bombarded with requests in person.

What do you use?

-KLH

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I HATE THIS PART OF THE JOB but its expected. I have my wife, who is usually my assistand handle all my requests. For a while I was just trying to please everyone and getting their requests played but a lot of times it would kill the dance floor. Ive learned "Oh sorry I dont have that song today" works after them come up for the 2x. If I think there is going to be a party killer I wont play it.

I actually do like the text to screen system that can show texts on the tvs, leaving congrats to a couple or sending requests to the tvs. I personally wouldn't do it any other way then the way I do now.

Sween
02-10-2012, 07:52 AM
You could put out a sign asking them to tweet them or email them to you, but most people are going to ignore that and come bother you anyway... It's too much effort on their part. And you would have to open twitter or email to get the requests anyway... so would it really save you any time?

You could put an iPad or computer out and have them search your library and make requests... but I would be too afraid the thing would take a walk!

Seriously I think the pad and paper is the best way. Best meaning most efficient and cost-effective.

Manu
02-10-2012, 07:52 AM
. Ive learned "Oh sorry I dont have that song today" works after them come up for the 2x. If I think there is going to be a party killer I wont play it.

some come back with an ipod or a scratched CD full of 128 kbps mp3 from limewire, lost count of them :facepalm:

Pen and paper, "write your request here and the DJ will play if available and deemed appropriate". Of course you make the decision of playing or not playing.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 08:09 AM
some come back with an ipod or a scratched CD full of 128 kbps mp3 from limewire, lost count of them :facepalm:

Pen and paper, "write your request here and the DJ will play if available and deemed appropriate". Of course you make the decision of playing or not playing.

LOL yea Ive delt with that. I just tell them I play records and cannot hookup your ipod to any of the 2 channels I have open on my mixer lol. The best was a 70 year old man coming up to me at the begining of a disco party with a white sheet of paper and about 40 requests that "I have to play, son" I just loled since every song on the list would have been played regardless. He was on the dancefloor the whole night. Was a great party.

Sween
02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
LOL yea Ive delt with that. I just tell them I play records and cannot hookup your ipod to any of the 2 channels I have open on my mixer lol. The best was a 70 year old man coming up to me at the begining of a disco party with a white sheet of paper and about 40 requests that "I have to play, son" I just loled since every song on the list would have been played regardless. He was on the dancefloor the whole night. Was a great party.

I love it when they take credit for requests that you would have played anyway. Party Rock comes on and I had a bridemaid saying "he wasn't going to play this, but I told him he had to"... WTF?

Mystic
02-10-2012, 08:15 AM
I really like the idea of tweeting requests. That's a very good one.

Midspot
02-10-2012, 08:31 AM
I really like the idea of tweeting requests. That's a very good one.

Especially if they don't have a twitter account :lol:

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Especially if they don't have a twitter account :lol:

lol tru

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I love it when they take credit for requests that you would have played anyway. Party Rock comes on and I had a bridemaid saying "he wasn't going to play this, but I told him he had to"... WTF?

lol riight. I let the dude have his fun. I think he just wrote down the top 50 disco songs of all time lol.

You should have said "Heres a special request for xxx, if anyone knows it please sing along" lol

Jimanee
02-10-2012, 08:39 AM
A personal approach is IMHO imperative to handling requests for many reasons:

1) You can "upsell" them to a more dance friendly song.
2) If they're hawt you can discretly grope their butts :tup:

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 08:41 AM
A personal approach is IMHO imperative to handling requests for many reasons:

1) If they're hawt you can discretly grope their butts :tup:
2) You can "upsell" them to a more dance friendly song.

fyp 8)

wilson
02-10-2012, 09:20 AM
I use the old pen and paper method, with "Please Request Songs Here. DJ will play if appropriate and has in the music library." One of my favorites about that is trying to read them at about midnight and later. Looks like I handed a bunch of coked out monkeys some crayolas and told them to draw pictures. :smash:

DJMC
02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I guess I'm going to take a contrary position here:

EVERY interaction with a guest is an OPPORTUNITY to sell your service for a future engagement.

I don't understand why so many Mobile DJs have a "Club DJ" mentality of not wanting to speak to the guests.

Yes== SOME requests are cheesy and you have to come up with a polite response to blow them off.

But I look forward to every interaction!

My advice to those of you with these issues? Have some medication, as it will ease the social interaction issues we ALL have.

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings (http://www.dj-mc.com)

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
And what do you do when there are 9 girls waiting to ask you to play a song at their friends sweet 16? All with different requests...

How about when the drunk woman comes over for the 3x forgetting I already told her the chicken dance could not be played.

Or when you have 2 women leaning on your facade yelling for your attention along with 4 dudes to your right asking you to switch it up and play dubstep and on your left you have grandma asking for a waltz.

I understand you but being organized and showing your organizational skills along with your leadership abilities and finally your performance should be good enough for repeat business. No need to lose your focus especially during periods of craziness. All 3 of those examples are real life and mobile. Not club stuff. I like your comment as it was positive and beneficial just doesn't apply all the time. I looooove speaking with the guests and "shooting the shit" just not when I'm busy handling the bride and grooms requests.

YourEventMatters.com

Sween
02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
And what do you do when there are 9 girls waiting to ask you to play a song at their friends sweet 16? All with different requests...

How about when the drunk woman comes over for the 3x forgetting I already told her the chicken dance could not be played.

Or when you have 2 women leaning on your facade yelling for your attention along with 4 dudes to your right asking you to switch it up and play dubstep and on your left you have grandma asking for a waltz.

I understand you but being organized and showing your organizational skills along with your leadership abilities and finally your performance should be good enough for repeat business. No need to lose your focus especially during periods of craziness. All 3 of those examples are real life and mobile. Not club stuff. I like your comment as it was positive and beneficial just doesn't apply all the time. I looooove speaking with the guests and "shooting the shit" just not when I'm busy handling the bride and grooms requests.

YourEventMatters.com

Repped.

Djmike209
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
IMO - I dont mind people coming up and asking. We primarily do weddings so it works out ok cause I get to BS with people. At Weddings I usually get about 2 to 3 request per night.
I usually gauge the night by how many people requested songs. If there were more than 10 request then I wasnt playing the right kind of music.

Schools are always a different story. There are usually the off the wall request. I started the twitter thing last year it worked ok. A lot of kids dont have twitter. This year Im going to launch "Text-a-song" Were they can {text request to 55469} the emails go to my cell. No pen no paper.

DJMC
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I love the texting for HS kids idea....

Maybe I just don't have the OP's problem with that occasional idiot. I usually find the wedding planner, or whoever is in charge, and let them know we have a belligerent person who may interfere with my performance (a breach of my contract).

Having a good staging area, that makes it difficult to approach -- is another remedy I employ where security is an issue.

Galager
02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
I love requests. It helps me get a better idea of the kind of group I am dealing with. Granted I don't play every request and most people are understandable once I explain myself. Plus taking requests tends to make the person that hired you happier if you make his/her guests happier. Yes, there are drawbacks, but I think the advantages are worth it.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Im not saying I hate requests but I am saying I hate dealing with them when Im focusing on things that are necessary to make the wedding the way it should be. Thats why I have my wife handle them. Just makes it easier on myself

DJMC
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Amen to having a Gate Keeper.

For several years (2001 to 2007) I used my lovely daughter as the request taker.

Now that she's been off to college, I had to re-learn the art of customer interaction.

Maybe that's why I embrace it NOW -- I had a long holiday from taking requests directly!!!

jazzyj
02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
We use all methods pretty much for taking requests:

- Pen and paper via husband - and by that i mean we talk to every single person and WE write it down. Customer service is what we truly sell.
- Twitter, Email which all forward to the cell phone via text

But honestly, so far, most people still just come to us and request via pen/paper. We advertise the other options heavily but no takers yet.