PDA

View Full Version : Fog Machine Not Working

DJ Riddims
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM
I offer my clients the use of a fog machine for entrances which they have requested use of for an upcoming gig. Doing some regular maintenance I decided to use the machine today to make sure all was well. The machine was working fine but then it begins making a loud noise and produces no fog. Looking around online I see many recommendations of using white vinegar and distilled water to clean the fog machine so I did just that. I ran the machine for a considerable amount of time and produced a constant stream air with a vinegar scent which made me figure the machine was working. I then emptied the machine of the remaining liquid and put in the fog fluid which is the same fluid I have been using for years. The machine once again started it making the loud noise. Its a cheap 400w fog machine so I could simply purchase another but I would like to fix it if I can.

This is the same machine I use and the noise I am talking about and the filter is clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOCKapWzZg

Mystic
07-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Sounds like your pump is buggered.

DJ Riddims
07-12-2012, 08:51 AM
What do you mean by that exactly? Because the distilled water and vinegar flow right through the machine.

LiteTrix
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Looks like one of those cheap fog machines from Walmart. Most likely that pumped is clogged and would need to be cleaned out. Considering how much those things cost it really isn't worth it. Did you happen to leave it outside for a extended period of time where temperatures were cold? My experience with the cheap ones is that they don't like being in cold temperatures for a extended period otherwise they will clog up and make a similar noise to what your experience right now.

Mystic
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Almost sounds like the pump simply went bad and needs replaced. Could also be a clog as cleaning it even with white vinegar and distilled water can damage the machine which is why we don't recommend doing it unless absolutely needed. Being that this is a cheapo, it will be much easier to simply replace the unit rather than try and fix it.

DJ Riddims
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Guess I'll just buy a new one.

DJ Riddims
07-12-2012, 05:14 PM
I figured out the problem. The end of the tube that connects to the filter had some rips and tears folded into to the tube creating a tiny space for the fog juice to travel through. So, I cut it off a reconnected it to the filter. Now its working as normal.

Mystic
07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
How did you break the tube? O_O

DJ Riddims
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
How did you break the tube? O_O
lol, I honestly don't know.