PDA

View Full Version : So Mixing Rock .

Ergodamus
02-10-2012, 06:14 AM
I kinda love rock but I'm having a problem finding a way to properly mix it out of most EDM (I Play mostly techno, electro and dnb)

Now that I look at it I have either 3 opinions .

1. I try to BM it and mix it in (Sounds horrible 99% of the time)
2. I stop playing and have a "Rest" period where I start playing rock (This is bad)
3. Or I find mash-ups of rock/edm (I can't seem to find a alot)

And even after that, its hard in itself to mix rock with rock .

I don't see a lot of people mix rock (Non-controllerism) does this mean when one DJs people don't usually expect rock ?

Manu
02-10-2012, 06:23 AM
I did a house party once and played 100% rock all night. I didn't bother beatmatching for the majority of it or even doing fancy tricks, only a few cuts and drops.

Ergodamus
02-10-2012, 06:34 AM
I did a house party once and played 100% rock all night. I didn't bother beatmatching for the majority of it or even doing fancy tricks, only a few cuts and drops.

I'm one of those people who are kinda a perfectionist.
If it doesn't sound right, i kinda go a little crazy.
Reason why I don't actively seek gigs since I don't think im good enough.
I don't think I can switch off and just go DROP/CUT/CHOP Mode :(
Even If the crowd loves it, I can't bring myself to do it.
Also translations from EDM to rock.

Manu
02-10-2012, 06:43 AM

Sounds perfectly OK if properly executed, and the crowd loved it indeed, it was a good night. Sometimes uber skills are not necessary, with experience you'll find out that a good track selection is much more important.

Manu
02-10-2012, 06:55 AM
On the other hand, if you really want to mix all that up, you can go search for DJ friendly edm remixed rock tracks, there's plenty and all you have to do is find them.

BuddyUK
02-10-2012, 07:32 AM
DJ friendly edm remixed rock tracks, there's plenty and all you have to do is find them.

But their crap. play the original records lad.

The simple answer is you don't, I'm going to a MOD/R&B/Northern Soul/Ska night tonight and they deliberately leave a reverential gap between each record they play, doesn't stop the dancing mate.

Manu
02-10-2012, 07:42 AM
But their crap. play the original records lad.

Yeah most of them are utterly crap and a disgrace to the original...

Marc S
02-10-2012, 07:56 AM
knowing your tracks is key, very well timed and well programmed set list will work very well if you just cut and drop the right point at the right time. mixing skills are 2nd to music in some genre's, and rock is one of them.

Panotaker
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I did a classic rock mix last month. You can listen to it here: http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/Panotaker/play/classic-rock--roll-mix/

twiztedshane
02-13-2012, 06:40 AM

Dude, what happened to having fun? :|

Hygro
02-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Seconds to Manu, Marc, and Buddy. The remixes almost always suck. You could make your own adding just a beefier kick but who wants to do that? And yeah, just time a drop and a cut.

So you have some rave track about to either drop into the beat or cut to a breakdown. Bam, hi-or-low pass filter the outgoing for both dramatic transition and to drop its volume so as to not have a weak volume change. Then hit with the part of the rock song appropriate for that transition. The bridge? The intro? The first verse? The guitar solo before the final double chorus-outtro? The first chorus? It's all up to you. But you can make a very good and smooth transition. Just expect people to throw rotten tomatoes at you if they didn't want you to turn it into a rock set.

moyo wilde
02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
i used to play a bit i really want to get enough music to do a night or at least a complete set. what i do is use ableton and warp the songs. if warping it affects the song too much then i just try to do an intro/outro. the prep can be very time consuming. i also have a lot of old disco with live instrumentation that i have to warp. ugh.

and i am with the other guys though the remixes never have that authentic sound.

DJ Matt
02-13-2012, 11:58 AM

1.its not always about mixing , biggest lesson i ever learned in djing was that each musical genre has its own school of thaught and applying the methods of one genre with another completely different genre can be a big mistake

2. if the crowd loves it.... then do it ! get paid man !

3. just look out for those songs which can be mixed, just a few really good mixes will make you stand out as a good dj anyway, sometimes there will be opportunities such as a percussive section which could be looped to create a steady tempo to mix into/out of , if you have a loop function on your equipment

4. you could get busy on cubase (or some similar program) and make some intros and outros to yoru songs to make them mixable, i have done that with a few tunes, but it can be tedious work

Sween
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Some rock tracks mix in okay as they have the correct beat pattern and tempo... I usually throw them in a loop and see how things line up before I resort to a cold cut.

But yeah, some rock tracks just won't mix with EDM...

Here is one track I redrummed on Ableton in order to make it easier to mix and more dance friendly... but I did not make it over hyped so most people don't really notice it's remixed but it has a lot more energy. I redrummed every single drum hit and think it actually sounds better than the original.

http://soundcloud.com/sweenracer76/take-me-home-tonight-dance

Nick Bike
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
i usually just scratch-n-drop it in, or echo out and drop in. sometimes a short mix can work, esp with more electronic based bands.

DJArmani
02-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Try making live mashups of rock or dropping into guitar riffs in the beginning of songs. Or you can always vocal mix you HAVE to know the lyrics to each song though, and the pitch needs to be right. It also can't be metal to classic rock or anything like that.