PDA

View Full Version : Wireless LED up-lighting

smoovmusicdj
07-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Anyone have some good suggestions for wireless LED uplighting? I was looking at this: http://www.djdepot.com/omnisistem-wireless-led-uplighting-system.html?

But trying to find something for a little better cost.

kipperj
07-11-2012, 10:48 AM
These were suggested on this forum before. I've never used them personally, but someone here has (drzinc) They don't require dmx, and they seem pretty nice for uplighting. You could always just send drzinc a PM and ask him. I'll try and find the thread.

EDIT:
Here it is-
http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?7960-Cheap-facade-lighting

DJzrule
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Blizzard wiCICLE system and Chauvet's Freedom series are great wireless system alternatives.

Blizzard also has its unplugged series which run off of batteries which compare to Chauvet's freedom series fixtures that both use lithium batteries for power.

Synaxis
07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Blizzard wiCICLE system and Chauvet's Freedom series are great wireless system alternatives.

Blizzard also has its unplugged series which run off of batteries which compare to Chauvet's freedom series fixtures that both use lithium batteries for power.

The Freedom Par series isn't too bright. I would go with Blizzard's Unplugged Pucks, except you would need to buy wiCICLE units for each one as well.

Nick_EventPro
07-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Still ends up being cheaper to buy pucks and wicicles. I deal both chauvet and blizzard. Both are nice units, but I personally prefer the blizzards. Plus, they've now released their Q6 puck "unplugged" version. RGBA or RGBW 10w quad color LEDs that run off battery for a minimum of 6hrs... doesn't get much easier and the best blend of power and color mixing. Feel free to contact me for quotes.

ibringthenoise
07-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Seems like one could make a mint if they could come up with a battery to power all the already existing plug uplights. I'd love to have to option to use a battery or plug into the wall with my lights.

led wedding uplighting (http://www.djcraig.net/uplighting.html)

Synaxis
07-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Seems like one could make a mint if they could come up with a battery to power all the already existing plug uplights. I'd love to have to option to use a battery or plug into the wall with my lights.

led wedding uplighting (http://www.djcraig.net/uplighting.html)

I don't think there would be enough of a market for that. If your willing to buy uplights plus the batteries, why not just buy them combined in one unit? You save you time and money, and would be less of a hassle.

Also, the battery powered units do give you the option of plugging them into an electrical outlet.

You could always purchase a UPS Battery backup system if you know your going to be placing an uplight somewhere out of the reach of an outlet.

JPelli73
07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
The market is the huge number of Pucks, LEDRains, etc that have already been sold to DJs who are now frustrated with all the wiring and power hassles. I know if there was a reasonably inexpensive battery rig I could buy that would save me stringing DMX and power cables all over the place, I'd do it for the lights I already have- I could reduce the setup and tear down to the tune of 45-75 minutes per gig.

I guess on the other hand, I could always sell the lights, and buy a ready-made solution. But honestly, I don't do uplighting enough to warrant the investment- 15 or 20 wireless DMX, battery powered uplights would be the single biggest equipment investment I ever made, and I just don't see the return.

Pelli

DJzrule
07-12-2012, 01:09 PM
For what its worth, I bought the Chauvet Slimpar 56s which do a great job of colormixing even to get a decent orange and yellow out of. 100$ a pop and I have 6. Not too shabby and I can get wireless DMX later down the line.

Nick_EventPro
07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
But honestly, I don't do uplighting enough to warrant the investment- 15 or 20 wireless DMX, battery powered uplights would be the single biggest equipment investment I ever made, and I just don't see the return.

Pelli

Fair enough, and you obviously know your market better than I do, but I paid for 16 Q6A's (I'd say 16 lights is a good sized uplighting rig for mobile Djs) in 3 jobs.

JPelli73
07-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Very market-dependent, I think. Out of maybe a dozen events this season, I've only booked one job that included uplighting. It's just not that in demand around here. A lot of my wedding gigs are in seaside venues, so they're paying for the view out the windows (and tend to have the event timed for a lot of daylight hours).

Pelli

Synaxis
07-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Fair enough, and you obviously know your market better than I do, but I paid for 16 Q6A's (I'd say 16 lights is a good sized uplighting rig for mobile Djs) in 3 jobs.

Only three gigs!? Well, technically, you are a dealer, so I doubt you paid anywhere close full price on those Q6A's :tup:
I guess that would make sense in that case.

3owls.ca
07-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Can you replace the battery on the battery powered uplights? They'll last the rated 8 or so hours now but I'm worried about 2 yrs down the road.

BillESC
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Keep not every fixture needs its' own wireless DMX receiver. With the battery operated units perhaps one per string or wall may be enough to make the install easy.

I have a dozen Puck RGB UnPlugged units coming back from a one week rental that I bought them for. They will be available at a discounted price by the end of the week and be offered with a full warranty.

DJStevieRay
07-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Can you replace the battery on the battery powered uplights? They'll last the rated 8 or so hours now but I'm worried about 2 yrs down the road.

On Blizzards pucks, it is a pretty easy swap.

Synaxis
07-16-2012, 09:23 PM
On Blizzards pucks, it is a pretty easy swap.

I actually never knew this until today, and frankly, I didn't share the concern either until 3owls.ca mentioned it.

Then I said to myself, "Wow, he makes a good point. I can replace the battery in my phone, laptop, flashlight, but what about "battery" powered uplights?"

Then, I watched the ADJ Newswave show today where they introduced their new GO series. More Info Here (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150951472197861&set=a.10150588955302861.386666.84688247860&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf)

They mentioned a replaceable battery as one of their features, and I started to wonder if Blizzard offered this same feature. I had my doubt at first, but then I said to myself, "It's Blizzard. Known for their innovations, ESPECIALLY in the uplighing market. I'm sure they already thought this through."

And sure enough, they did. Makes me want to buy the Q6A Unplugged's even more!!

Just wish they were a bit cheaper. That ADJ Mega Go Bar 50 is a bit hard to beat at $200.

StevieRay, does blizzard sell additional batteries? Or are they the type of battery you can buy at any Radio Shack?

3owls.ca
07-21-2012, 11:03 PM
StevieRay, does blizzard sell additional batteries? Or are they the type of battery you can buy at any Radio Shack?

+1 I'm curious as well.

Nick_EventPro
07-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Us Blizzard dealers don't get "parts" lists, but I am sure that if you ever needed to replace a battery in a wireless fixture I could make a quick call to Will or Frank at Blizzard and get it taken care of for you no problem.

BillESC
07-22-2012, 03:12 PM
What Nick ^^^ said.

I got the PUCK RGB UNPLUGGED units in on Thursday and was able to QC them on Saturday. It seems they didn't even open up or use all of them.

I"m offering them with a full warranty for $ 135.00 each. Free shipping if you take ten at a time.

DJ M&M
01-02-2013, 08:12 AM
please purchase a vendor account or dont post

superlativeevents
09-10-2013, 06:17 PM
It seems like the technology is finally getting there for the wireless uplights. The big manufacturers still haven't gotten the battery power down yet.

wapples
09-11-2013, 06:15 AM
I was in the same boat earlier this year. I went Blizzard RGBAW Bars and the battery RGBA pucks with ICICLE and iam exddingly satisfied they are making me plenty of good profit I havea troublesome redquadrant on a bar and it took a while to the the Blizzard extension cables as see on the first page of this category but with the Icicle connections all is SWEET!

OPOAT

djunick
09-14-2013, 03:59 PM
How about (wireless) LED bars ? It seems Blizzard has none ? What would be the best choice between Chauvet Freedom strip mini RGBA or the new Chauvet EZrail RGBA ? How about the ADJ Mega GO Bar 50 ??

BillESC
09-14-2013, 07:20 PM
How about (wireless) LED bars ? It seems Blizzard has none ? What would be the best choice between Chauvet Freedom strip mini RGBA or the new Chauvet EZrail RGBA ? How about the ADJ Mega GO Bar 50 ??

Bars are more of a PITA to use, deploy and simply don't fit the task IMHO.

djunick
09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Bars are more of a PITA to use, deploy and simply don't fit the task IMHO.

What do you mean ? Aren't the almost same thing, but wider ?

BillESC
09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I like the column look as apposed to a wash look.

CoyoLighting
11-20-2013, 06:55 AM
You should purchase the 12x10W RGBW 4in1 Wireless Battery Powered LED Uplighting, so you just need one wireless transmitter, you can control them without dmx cable and power cable, it is very welcome in wedding place for it, you can think about it.

BillESC
11-20-2013, 01:08 PM
The Puck Fab5 Skywire is battery powered and includes a wireless DMX receiver. It has a MAP price of $ 499.99.

Eternal offers several battery powered wireless DMX fixtures starting at $ 399.99 MAP.

GaFFLe
06-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Here's some direct from China stuff that comes with the charging case. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WG-G3039A-wireless-DMX-battery-LED-RGBAW-8-uplights-fly-case-XLR-wireless-transmitter-Set/1548225412.html