PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys get all your music?

redrider123463
07-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Just like the title says, where do you guys get all your music? Like do you buy it all? Download it? Legally or Illegally? I have to stock up on my music library...

Andrew B
07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
There's a sticky: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?35-Online-record-shops-Digital-amp-Vinyl-Master-list

Complex.ity
07-08-2012, 10:52 PM
iTunes, Beatport and find unofficial remixes or tracks that haven't been released on a label on Soundcloud (of course if download is enabled). Usually when I download a track off Soundcloud and want to use one of their tracks in a recorded mix, I send them a private message asking for permission even though licensing says so. Get all your music legally and support the artists that you are buying from. A lot of illegally downloaded songs sound like trash anyway. When you buy music, you'll get good quality songs versus a re-recorded terrible quality song.

redrider123463
07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
So on average how much do you spend on music, say per year?

Andrew B
07-08-2012, 10:55 PM

Everyone is different. A Mobile DJ will spend more than a multi-genre DJ, who will spend more than a House DJ. :shrug:

It just depends on how many tracks you buy a week.

Buddy McKarthur
07-08-2012, 11:56 PM
It depends on what kind of music you are looking for...I get the majority of my music either from my dad's CD collection or for free on the internet somehow. All my other music I bought from iTunes and I NEVER do anything illegal when it comes to music downloads. There are some really great pages on SoundCloud, either artist pages or record labels where there might be a few free tracks...there's Jamendo, where I get a lot of music that I use for listening pleasure. There are also YouTube channels that will upload like 1 song per week and offer free downloads. If you have any further questions or would like some links to free, legal and downloadable music, just hit me up with a private message :)
-DJ Undertone

disparate
07-09-2012, 04:33 AM

Upwards of a grand a year (in pounds), come to think about it. I'll spend between £50-100 or more most months, exercising some restraint...

I buy a lot of vinyl though, if I bought the same amount all on digital it would come to a bit less. Still a fair few hundred a year I reckon.

Putting down the numbers like that kinda makes me think "wouldn't it be nice to have an extra £1000-odd in my savings account each year" but fuck it, I like music :)

If you're a digital DJ it costs 1 or 2 dollars to buy a track. Unless your financial situation is absolutely dire then you have no excuse, if you can't afford 100 tracks a month you probably don't need them anyway. Absolutely no respect for anyone who earns money at a job then pirates their music, especially if it the music's from a comparatively small industry like most dance music...

David Bowman
07-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Everyone is different. A Mobile DJ will spend more than a multi-genre DJ, who will spend more than a House DJ. :shrug:

It just depends on how many tracks you buy a week.

+1, piece of string. Then vinyl costs more than mp3s etc.

BuddyUK
07-09-2012, 05:13 AM
Record shops, charity shops, discogs, record fairs, car boot sales, private sales, ebay.

dlove
07-09-2012, 05:47 AM

I don't count per year, but I spend on average, £40/£50 a week on vinyl. I don't buy much in January, as mostly everyone's taking a break after NY, and sometimes I spend more than my average. Like Manu says, 'how long is a piece of string?'

Drewbdo
08-10-2012, 08:13 AM

I'm a mobile DJ, and as the others have mentioned, your music requirements vary, based on the type of work you do.

$10/month for VDJ Grooveshark for stuff I'll only ever play once - better than buying crappy special requests for a wedding, which will never see the light of day again after that wedding. Also good for walk-up special requests at the event - Great-Grandma Ethel Sue Ellen's first waltz, :teef: etc. As long as you have internet access at the event, you have access to "15 million" songs, or whatever it is Grooveshark claims. I think you must have a legal version of VDJ though, although they may sell subscriptions without VDJ... Not positive.

~350/year (IIRC) for annual subscription to ZipDJ.com - GREAT selection of music from many genres (dance, club, Top 40, country, adult contemporary, Latin, house, trance, rock, and more). Unlimited downloads. The popular dance songs usually have remixes available, and they have some DJ tools (like instrumentals and acapellas, so you can make your own mashups).

A few dollars here and there buying compilations.

A few more dollars buying old CD's or vinyl at garage sales or Goodwill.

So, less than $1000/year, but your mileage may vary. :)

Dantron
08-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Discogs and www.chemical-records.co.uk

Synergy
08-10-2012, 08:58 AM
i spend about 100 a month. i use beatport, audio jelly and a few other places that give out free tracks.

login
08-10-2012, 09:33 AM
beatport, I spend about 10 usd on average monthly. I buy mostly techno and tech house.

Then my other source of music is ektoplasm.com where i get all my psytrance.

last itunes where I get some indie rock and classical.

Paulie65m
08-11-2012, 11:28 PM
About 50$-100 a week , also all vinyl so I only get a few records unless I go for the older records for 3-5 $ a piece

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

alazydj
08-12-2012, 01:14 AM
I use zipDJ and iTunes...and sometimes I buy CDs and Vinyl.

Amounts drastically vary

DJ ATX
08-13-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm a member of 2 DJ pools for audio
I'm also a member of 2 Video DJ pools.
I use Beatport and Crooklyn clan to get tracks I can't find in the pools I belong to.
Sometimes I will download some remixed stuff from Soundcloud.

DJ STU-C
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
traxsource or stompy and sometimes dj downloads... ebay and discogs for vinyl

Jette
08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I really like beatport and audio jelly for my tracks. I have also started finding more tracks by going to artist's home pages, and using their donate option. I really like this option, and I hope more producers start using it. I would prefer to give the artist money, as opposed to paying off his label who in turn gives the artist a fraction of what I paid.

ksandvik
08-13-2012, 07:28 PM
I really like beatport and audio jelly for my tracks. I have also started finding more tracks by going to artist's home pages, and using their donate option. I really like this option, and I hope more producers start using it. I would prefer to give the artist money, as opposed to paying off his label who in turn gives the artist a fraction of what I paid.

Depending on the label it's either 50/50, or 70/30 or something similar either way around. This is about small EDM labels, the big ones have special deals where you get much less.

AYoo
08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
i spend about $100+/month on subscriptions and itunes, amazon, etc.... nothing compared to what i was spending on vinyl before however... an unorchestrated purchase spree can easily set me back $300/spree ... ouch.

djransom
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Subscription services for the most part works for me.

Jette
08-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Depending on the label it's either 50/50, or 70/30 or something similar either way around. This is about small EDM labels, the big ones have special deals where you get much less.

That's not too terrible, but if I have the option to donate to the artist directly I will as much as I can.

sin303
08-14-2012, 03:58 PM
djcity and dms for me

DJ STU-C
08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
100$ a month, I don't find enough tracks that I really like to spend that, I refuse to buy average tracks so I make sure I listen at least 3 times to each track before I decide to hit buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJrexx
08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I used Promo Only and Ultimix/Funkymix for years... Depends on your genre you want to build up.

Promo Only I got was the top radio hits, and cost around $150 a year I believe

Ultimix and Funkymix were more though, $25/month for some fairly mediocre remixes of songs... I do have some gems from those too though.

I'm waiting for the streaming/caching songs thing to take off, I guess time will tell

den1213
08-15-2012, 09:59 AM
This works for me;

I try to include my music expense into my everyday life. In otherwords, I treat my music expense just as I would if I pack a lunch, or buy a lunch for the work day. For example, my coffee taste is sat aside each morning. I know that I have to have a cup of coffee each day, whether Dunkin Donuts coffee or Mickey D's coffee, etc. That is usually going to cost at-least $1.50 to $2.50 a day. So then, I treat my music purchases like I'm having a donut with my coffee. So instead of coffee and a donut, or coffee and a breakfast snack, I have coffee and a music download:D Therefore I average between $.99 to $2.00 a day on music, via itunes, amazon, and beatport. For the rest, (the free stuff), I find quality CD's from friends, family etc.

With this formula I have managed to collect and impression array of music:)

spooksmagee
08-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Almost exclusively Beatport. Buy new tunes every 2 weeks or so, usually spending $20-25 at a time. I'd buy stuff more often, but poor college student and all... my hold bin is like 85 tracks deep though atm. D:

Era 7
08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Almost exclusively Beatport. Buy new tunes every 2 weeks or so, usually spending $20-25 at a time. I'd buy stuff more often, but poor college student and all... my hold bin is like 85 tracks deep though atm. D:

lol you think 85 tracks is bad? i'm a little over 1000.

i probably have to sort out some stuff...

disparate
08-24-2012, 04:16 AM
edit: wrong thread, ignore this!