PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about mobile DJing

Firebr4nd
02-09-2012, 11:53 PM
What're the yearly earnings and work schedule like for a Weddings/Events DJ?

djkvg
02-10-2012, 12:07 AM
it all depends on how many gigs u can get on a weekly basis lol

Firebr4nd
02-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Would around 3 be average? More? Less? Given that you have a decent client base...

Sween
02-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Would around 3 be average? More? Less? Given that you have a decent client base...

No. Especially not when you first start out. 3 a month would be challenge when you first start out.

Even the most seasoned veterans have trouble booking 3 events a week many times because people don't often hire DJs on weekdays.

What can you expect to earn? Depends on your area. Depends on how good you are. Also depends on whether you provide premium upgrade sort of stuff such as lighting.

I charge an average of $1000-1200 per wedding, do 20-30 events per year and bring in $20 something... But only about half of that is actual profit.

You're not going to get rich doing this unless you own your own multi-op... And even then it would be tough to break 6 figures.

Manu
02-10-2012, 05:50 AM
How long is a piece of string. Also depends on the seasons, i.e. you see more weddings during summers, while you're more likely to see none in November.

DJMC
02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I do about 50 events per year, of which I do 40 of them myself. Our average is $1k and most use no lights whatsoever.

My overhead is way under $1k per year (advertising, insurance, web hosting, SEO, and music).
The minivan is completely paid for and the gasoline/maintenance costs are about 20 cents per mile. I drive about 3000 miles. Postage and dry cleaning are the remaining hard costs (about $100 per year).

Gross $42k
Expenses $1700

DJMC is a Northern CA DJ who provides non-cheesy emcees/DJs for Sacramento weddings (http://www.dj-mc.com)

Sween
02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
When I say only half of what I make is profit, I'm talking about equipment overhead that is charged. All of my equipment is paid for... so I guess you can say I have less overhead too...

But my pricing is based on 10% of the total value of gear plus labor... usually ends up being about 50/50. So when someone says "you are charging me $1200 for a 5 hour wedding! that's robbery! you're making $240 an hour!" I can tell them no, you are renting all my equipment for $600, and I work another 8 hours behind the scenes, so you are paying me less than $50 an hour actually!

DJMC
02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
when someone says "you are charging me $1200 for a 5 hour wedding! that's robbery! you're making $240 an hour!" I can tell them no, you are renting all my equipment for $600, and I work another 8 hours behind the scenes, so you are paying me less than $50 an hour actually!

My pricing is based on "$100 an hour" formula:

Setup 2 hours
Playing time 6 hours
teardown 1 hour
consult - 1 hour

total coverage = 10 hours x $108 = $1,088 quote.

($100 an hour is easier to justify than quoting by the playing hour!)

Sween
02-10-2012, 10:56 AM
My pricing is based on "$100 an hour" formula:

Setup 2 hours
Playing time 6 hours
teardown 1 hour
consult - 1 hour

total coverage = 10 hours x $108 = $1,088 quote.

($100 an hour is easier to justify than quoting by the playing hour!)

No time spent making schedules or organizing their songs? That usually takes me about 2 hours. Also I easily waste an hour or two in travel time to all these venues in the area... Not uncommon for me to waste up to 20 hours per event.

DJ Donnie Lewis
02-13-2012, 07:10 AM
When I say only half of what I make is profit, I'm talking about equipment overhead that is charged. All of my equipment is paid for... so I guess you can say I have less overhead too...

But my pricing is based on 10% of the total value of gear plus labor... usually ends up being about 50/50. So when someone says "you are charging me $1200 for a 5 hour wedding! that's robbery! you're making $240 an hour!" I can tell them no, you are renting all my equipment for $600, and I work another 8 hours behind the scenes, so you are paying me less than $50 an hour actually!

This shit erks me... I hate the fact that people complain like this. If your not happy with what my salary is then look elsewhere. You shouldnt have to tell then a thing...
"you are charging me $1200 for a 5 hour wedding! that's robbery! you're making $240 an hour!" --- Yes I am...

LiteTrix
02-13-2012, 08:43 AM
This is what I have on my website under "pricing information"

A full-service DJ company will normally invest 20-30 hours in your special event but it may appear that you are only paying for "4-6 hours". Consultations, music purchasing, programming and editing, preparation, rehearsal, set-up and tear-down, education and other business-related endeavors add up to the overall success of your special occasion.

Usually helps to clear up any confusion as to why I charge the amount that I do. Too many brides only think about the 4-6 hours they are hiring you for. Everything from consultations, schedule planning, and other time consuming things that go into planning for a brides wedding gets overlooked by the majority of the brides.

It's their wedding day, they can do what they want in the end but when they say this,"well I have this other guy for $300 and he's very professional" can you match that ? It really pisses me off. I always feel like responding with " If that guy you have for $300 is very professional, then why didn't you book him ?" Oh yeah thats right he either doesn't exist or he's some bum you found on Craigslist without a website that calls himself a professional DJ and chances are he will be a no-show on your wedding day. Don't think that because your on a budget or you give me a sob story your gonna get me to cut my $1200 services down to $300. Ain't happening.