PDA

View Full Version : Not so expensive 2-channel mixer

Nicadraus
07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi guys! Which of these two not-so-expensive, 2-channel mixers that can also be used for scratching with XLR outputs are worth getting? Choices are:

Vestax VMC-002XLu - $200 + $150 for the Innofader Pro = $350

or

Pioneer DJM-250 - $350 + $130 for the Innobender = $480

Both mixers are Innofader compatible and I will eventually upgrade the CF once it shows signs of bleeding. Also, I have tried the DJM250. I like the independent filters and the Pioneer feel (faders & EQ). But would the extra $130 be worth it? Does anyone here own a VMC-002XLu or have tried it before? How are the EQs, fader feel and CF? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance. :)

Estacy
07-08-2012, 03:08 PM
neither have crossfaders that are quite suitable for scratching. the vestax has a terrible cut, the pioneer might be a bit better. I suggest ignoring the innofader and go for a used HAK or a new Ecler Nuo 2.0. that fader is very capable of scratching

Nicadraus
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
neither have crossfaders that are quite suitable for scratching. the vestax has a terrible cut, the pioneer might be a bit better. I suggest ignoring the innofader and go for a used HAK or a new Ecler Nuo 2.0. that fader is very capable of scratching

So wouldn't it help fitting them with Innofader CF? Honestly, I haven't tried the Innofader so I'm a bit curious of the feel. But I have read countless of good reviews about that CF.

Phi
07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
I have my Nuo 2.0 innofaded. It is scratchtastic! The curve on the regular Nuo fader is not sharp enough for crab scratches, and probably won't last very long.

Nicadraus
07-09-2012, 12:26 AM
I have my Nuo 2.0 innofaded. It is scratchtastic! The curve on the regular Nuo fader is not sharp enough for crab scratches, and probably won't last very long.

So it would really make any Innofader compatible mixer "scratchtastic" when installed. I think I'd go for the VMC-002 + Innofader.

The cheaper route. Hehehe! :D

Estacy
07-09-2012, 09:41 AM
So wouldn't it help fitting them with Innofader CF? Honestly, I haven't tried the Innofader so I'm a bit curious of the feel. But I have read countless of good reviews about that CF.

Not saying that, the innofader is great, yes the vestax is cheaper, but I suggest a stock Nuo 2.0 and later on upgrade its CF to an eternal or innofader, the end result is of much higher quality than the vestax

dlove
07-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I have the Pioneer DJM250 - got it about 6 months ago, and while I'm not a turntablist, I use the crossfader to mix, cut samples ect - I bought it specifically because it has the sharp 'fade. Personally, I love it; it's well-designed, easy to use & good-looking.

(it also has aux' channels to link a mic', siren ect.)

Nicadraus
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Not saying that, the innofader is great, yes the vestax is cheaper, but I suggest a stock Nuo 2.0 and later on upgrade its CF to an eternal or innofader, the end result is of much higher quality than the vestax

Yeah. The Nuo 2.0 is definitely a nice mixer. Will also consider this. :)

I have the Pioneer DJM250 - got it about 6 months ago, and while I'm not a turntablist, I use the crossfader to mix, cut samples ect - I bought it specifically because it has the sharp 'fade. Personally, I love it; it's well-designed, easy to use & good-looking.

(it also has aux' channels to link a mic', siren ect.)

Yup the extra inputs in the auxiliary are also a plus. :)

JGeffen
07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
nuo 2.0 + eternal

Wakka
07-09-2012, 09:14 PM
no love for the A&H xone 22?

Nicadraus
07-09-2012, 11:37 PM
no love for the A&H xone 22?

At first I thought it was ok, but after trying it, it didn't feel right for me.

punky
07-10-2012, 09:25 AM
If you want to scratch, the Xone 22's long ass line faders might get in your way. And if you need any help with your Innofader install (The VMC is complicated, though doesn't require any soldering) I can help you out! :)

Also, you could wait for a bit for this mixer to come out: http://djworx.com/dj-techs-dif1s-scratch-mixer-innofader-inside/

It's got three mini Innofaders built right in! For $169, it's only a bit more expensive than a single Innofader Pro!

Nicadraus
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
If you want to scratch, the Xone 22's long ass line faders might get in your way. And if you need any help with your Innofader install (The VMC is complicated, though doesn't require any soldering) I can help you out! :)

Also, you could wait for a bit for this mixer to come out: http://djworx.com/dj-techs-dif1s-scratch-mixer-innofader-inside/

It's got three mini Innofaders built right in! For $169, it's only a bit more expensive than a single Innofader Pro!

Wow! I'll put that into consideration. No need to upgrade the line faders as well as the CF.

Thanks man! :)

By the way, any link to online stores where the DJ-Tech DIF-1S can be purchased?

lburners
07-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Wow that is cheap I would consider purchasing just for a backup.

CaseJones
07-19-2012, 04:26 PM
skip the vestax with the innofader I tried that combo and couldnt get the innofader to work

Nicadraus
07-19-2012, 11:06 PM
skip the vestax with the innofader I tried that combo and couldnt get the innofader to work

Really? There's an instructional thread about fitting the Innofader in the VMC-002 here (http://www.audioinnovate.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131).

But yeah, I might just wait for the DJ-Tech DIF-1s. Saves me from the extra cost of the Innofader plus it's really cheap. The only gripe is no balanced output but with it's price, there nothing to complain. So I might just route it to my DJM. :)

CaseJones
07-22-2012, 10:57 AM
thats what I used as a guide.I am gonna make another attempt at it this week but I broke down and bought a rane ttm56s

Bullet
08-17-2012, 11:32 AM
have you considered DJM707? I have 1 let me know ;)

ReelDiel
08-18-2012, 09:46 AM
that vestax mixer is terrible. I had one and honestly it was the worst sounding mixer i have ever owned. I had a gemini back in the day that was better.

I know its a cheapie but i expected alot more for a vestax. The denon 120, and stanton series, american audio QD5 mk2 are all better choices IMO.

DJ Highline
08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Don't know much about scratch mixers, but you could grab that DJ Tech and one of these (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CleanBoxPro/) and be set.

djransom
08-27-2012, 11:08 AM
have you considered DJM707? I have 1 let me know ;)

One of my favs. That and the 909.

light-o-matic
08-27-2012, 11:34 AM
The VMC-002XL or XLu (XLu = with USB, XL = without USB but cheaper) is a decent mixer for the price and has always been the first thing that comes to mind (for me) when talking about getting something decent for not much money. The full kill EQ's are nice and the fact that (unlike many 2 channel mixers), it has the switch to allow hearing the mix in your headphones.. thus the ability to play with speakers turned off or to mix without monitors.

But the DJM-250 is def a nicer mixer.. it's digital, has the two filters, has the aux inputs with their own EQ. Also has better meters than the Vestax. And is prob built a little nicer than the VMC-002. And, Pioneer is finally making the switch to full kills. Tho I've finally made my peace with the standard Pioneer -28db EQ's and don't mind them so much anymore.

All that said, only you can decide whether the Pioneer is worth the extra $150 and if ya can afford that. It would be for me.

As mentioned already, the Ecler Nuo 2.0 is an awesome mixer. I have a Nuo 2 and a Nuo 4.. love them. Still my absolute favorite mixers to play on. Costs as much or more than the DJM-250.. does not have filters but DOES have a separate booth output and also.. the aux channel has a cue button meaning you can actually DJ off that channel.. All things that matter to me. The metering and cueing system on the Ecler is the best of the three mixers we're talking about, and really one of the best on any mixer. Ecler just kicks ass.

Yesterday afternoon I played at a little party on the beach.. a friend of mine brought his Nuo 4.0 and Pioneer CDJ-100s's.. which was totally awesome and enjoyable to play on. Gotta say, the CDJ-100s still holds its own and is an awesome little deck.. simple, fast, great feel, reliable. I totally miss mine.

Nicadraus
08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
The VMC-002XL or XLu (XLu = with USB, XL = without USB but cheaper) is a decent mixer for the price and has always been the first thing that comes to mind (for me) when talking about getting something decent for not much money. The full kill EQ's are nice and the fact that (unlike many 2 channel mixers), it has the switch to allow hearing the mix in your headphones.. thus the ability to play with speakers turned off or to mix without monitors.

But the DJM-250 is def a nicer mixer.. it's digital, has the two filters, has the aux inputs with their own EQ. Also has better meters than the Vestax. And is prob built a little nicer than the VMC-002. And, Pioneer is finally making the switch to full kills. Tho I've finally made my peace with the standard Pioneer -28db EQ's and don't mind them so much anymore.

All that said, only you can decide whether the Pioneer is worth the extra $150 and if ya can afford that. It would be for me.

As mentioned already, the Ecler Nuo 2.0 is an awesome mixer. I have a Nuo 2 and a Nuo 4.. love them. Still my absolute favorite mixers to play on. Costs as much or more than the DJM-250.. does not have filters but DOES have a separate booth output and also.. the aux channel has a cue button meaning you can actually DJ off that channel.. All things that matter to me. The metering and cueing system on the Ecler is the best of the three mixers we're talking about, and really one of the best on any mixer. Ecler just kicks ass.

Yesterday afternoon I played at a little party on the beach.. a friend of mine brought his Nuo 4.0 and Pioneer CDJ-100s's.. which was totally awesome and enjoyable to play on. Gotta say, the CDJ-100s still holds its own and is an awesome little deck.. simple, fast, great feel, reliable. I totally miss mine.

Thanks for the input.

A friend of mine has also recommended the Behringer NOX404 and he swears it's a great 2-channel mixer. I haven't tried it but he tells me that it's unbelievable considering its very cheap price ($200). He says that the sound output is also very decent compared to the Numarks and Stantons. Also very far from the sh*tty mixers of Behringer such as the VMX & DJX series. The Infinium Fader, on-board FX, XLR outs and USB input are plus factors. I have yet to try it though.

Has anyone here have tried this yet?

light-o-matic
08-29-2012, 09:44 AM
he tells me that it's unbelievable considering its very cheap price ($200). He says that the sound output is also very decent compared to the Numarks and Stantons. Also very far from the sh*tty mixers of Behringer such as the VMX & DJX series.

For a mixer to sound "decent" in comparison to mixers that are themselves just ok, isn't really a big win. When someone with experience with Rane, Ecler, Pioneer, UREI, A&H etc says the NOX's have "decent" sound in comparison, then it will mean they are actually decent. But it's nice to know that the NOX's are better than the DJX's, considering that the DJX's are crap.

The Infinium Fader, on-board FX, XLR outs and USB input are plus factors.

That's a reasonable plus.. if ya want a non-contact fader and effects for $250, (also full kills and a booth output) there aren't too many options, so Behringer wins here. Tho, you say it's $200 and the lowest legit price I see is $250. For a beginning scratch DJ who wants some toys to play with, it might be just the thing.. assuming you plan to upgrade your mixer in a year or so. I guess it's reasonable competition for the VMC-002XL.

I dunno, I played on a DJX a few weeks ago and it's as weak as I remember.. I was able to mix fine on it, but at no time was I unaware of the fact that I was mixing on a cheap-ass mixer. It wasn't shit exactly.. it did the job.. but it was at best fair. Crappy headphone sound as on all Behringers I've tried. But for home mixing they are fine. I wouldn't say you're a fool to buy one as long as you are aware that you are buying just your "first" mixer. It'll get you going for sure. On the other hand, if ya have the money to afford the Pioneer and add the Innofader to it, why not just get the good mixer to begin with instead of getting a starter mixer? For the price of the Pioneer + Innofader, you can also afford a good condition used Rane TTM56, which is something you could own for many many years.

The reason there are so many mixers is 'cause DJs really vary as to what mixer they like.. a DJ could own the same decks for 10 years (or even longer, if they are Technics) but they might go through a bunch of mixers in that time. So, there are a lot of ways to go on this.

Nicadraus
08-29-2012, 10:06 AM
For a mixer to sound "decent" in comparison to mixers that are themselves just ok, isn't really a big win. When someone with experience with Rane, Ecler, Pioneer, UREI, A&H etc says the NOX's have "decent" sound in comparison, then it will mean they are actually decent. But it's nice to know that the NOX's are better than the DJX's, considering that the DJX's are crap.

That's a reasonable plus.. if ya want a non-contact fader and effects for $250, (also full kills and a booth output) there aren't too many options, so Behringer wins here. Tho, you say it's $200 and the lowest legit price I see is $250. For a beginning scratch DJ who wants some toys to play with, it might be just the thing.. assuming you plan to upgrade your mixer in a year or so. I guess it's reasonable competition for the VMC-002XL.

I dunno, I played on a DJX a few weeks ago and it's as weak as I remember.. I was able to mix fine on it, but at no time was I unaware of the fact that I was mixing on a cheap-ass mixer. It wasn't shit exactly.. it did the job.. but it was at best fair. Crappy headphone sound as on all Behringers I've tried. But for home mixing they are fine. I wouldn't say you're a fool to buy one as long as you are aware that you are buying just your "first" mixer. It'll get you going for sure. On the other hand, if ya have the money to afford the Pioneer and add the Innofader to it, why not just get the good mixer to begin with instead of getting a starter mixer? For the price of the Pioneer + Innofader, you can also afford a good condition used Rane TTM56, which is something you could own for many many years.

The reason there are so many mixers is 'cause DJs really vary as to what mixer they like.. a DJ could own the same decks for 10 years (or even longer, if they are Technics) but they might go through a bunch of mixers in that time. So, there are a lot of ways to go on this.

Well it's actually not my first "scratch" mixer. I've owned an American Auido QD-3 back in 2001 - 2003 and replaced it with a 4-channel mixer. Nothing much but it did perform well though. The reason I don't want to spend too much on a 2-channel mixer is because it'll just be a scratch capable mixer that I'd want to play around with once in a while if I feel like scratching and to practice with as well. Of course, sturdiness and sound output are important factors to me. I have played around with Eclers, Pioneers, and Ranes before but they're just out of my budget range as I have more important expenses at this point. :)

light-o-matic
08-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Yea I totally get it. Cheap mixers def have their uses.. maybe this is the time for one.

Nicadraus
10-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Ok I went for the Pioneer DJM-250K. I ordered from a friend in Dubai who is coming home on the 12th October. So I saved money on shipping. Got it for 1,350 dirhams which converts to US$360.

DJ-Tech UK
02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
The DIF-1s will be landing within a few weeks, check out the new DJ-Tech UK website for the approved dealers - www.dj-tech.co.uk

Nicadraus
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
The DIF-1s will be landing within a few weeks, check out the new DJ-Tech UK website for the approved dealers - www.dj-tech.co.uk (http://www.dj-tech.co.uk)

Nice to see a representative from DJ-Tech here but I think you will have to apply a vendor account before you could promote your product at this forum.

Anyway, I'm decided to get a DIF-1s when it comes out. :)

light-o-matic
02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Only one dealer??

DJ-Tech UK
02-04-2013, 10:37 AM
At the momemt yes, we are waiting for the dealers to complete their dealer applications and then they will be approved. As the DIF-1S is going to be in short supply in the first few months dealers will be restricted anyway...pre orders are now being taken on www.aqsound.com and we will have a confirmed delivery date next week.

Also, I am happy to apply for a vendor account if someone wants to assist in setting one up.

Cheers

NIgel @ DJ-Tech UK

Nicadraus
02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
At the momemt yes, we are waiting for the dealers to complete their dealer applications and then they will be approved. As the DIF-1S is going to be in short supply in the first few months dealers will be restricted anyway...pre orders are now being taken on www.aqsound.com and we will have a confirmed delivery date next week.

Also, I am happy to apply for a vendor account if someone wants to assist in setting one up.

Cheers

NIgel @ DJ-Tech UK

You may contact one of the admins/moderators/super moderators to assist you...

Stripe
Rek_Aviles
DTR
Marc S
-J
Andrew B
JonAvalon
Cervantes
Kevin James
KLH

:)

The K Bot
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
When and where will this be available in the US? Your shooting yourself in the foot when you tell people the first week of Feb and now its the end of March and nothing... I guess Im gonna go buy something else.

DjLiquitATL
03-14-2013, 07:41 PM
I've got a dj tech dif-1s on the way from thudrumble :teef:

I have a blue 05proII available that I'm bout to install pnp inno in $400 + shipping

Also have a 002xlu with inno pro installed, both black & white faceplates, plus original knobs and faders for both white and black $350 shipped

Pm me for details... I personally like the 002 better

- usb interface
- xlr out
- 3-band eq
+ white faceplate looks sweet

Gryz
03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm a regular on DJTT and have a like new Ecler Nuo 2.0 for sale.
http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=68302

Would put it in the "for sale" category but I don't have enough posts.

DjLiquitATL
03-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm a regular on DJTT and have a like new Ecler Nuo 2.0 for sale.
http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=68302

Would put it in the "for sale" category but I don't have enough posts.

I went throught he same issue with not having enough post...you are almost there

The K Bot
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Thud rumble says they are on back order, and they hiked the price too.... :uhoh: