PDA

View Full Version : CD Management?

broshades
07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Hey guys, so I'm slowly starting to get into using CDs, and I had a few questions for you guys that use them a lot. All my search terms seemed general enough to return the entire forum, so sorry if this has been beaten to death.

Anyway, coming from messing around with a controller and VDJ, there seems to be a bit more prep required in playing CDs. Do you guys have a particular system for making CDs? In just a few hours of getting used to this unit I noticed that I kept wanting to go to songs that were on the CD currently playing, so is it common to make copies of the same CD? I've also got to dig up one of those old CD sleeve cases that I had for all those PC games in the 90's hahah

Other than that I seem to be finding everything pretty easily on the forum, and look forward to learning more from everyone! Thanks!

Complex.ity
07-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Making cd's... Well I just use beaTunes to analyze the key bpm etc then just throw the mp3/wav into iTunes and burn it there (use like 1x-6x burning speed for max quality and everything) then just write with a sharpy all the info.

Well yeah. Especially if you have multiple tracks in 1 cd. I just do single track per cd. Yeah it's tedious and more expensive but it works for me. It's always good to carry a copy of basically every cd so that if one gets damaged then just use the other one and also if you want to play a track that is on the same cd but you already have it in the other deck, how will you go about mixing the track you want to play that is in the cd already in use? Make copies of your tracks if you have like 3 or more songs in the cd.

And as far as your wallet, be as organized as you possibly can. I organize based on key>bpm>title of the track (I use separate wallets for trance and house so saying genre would be irrelevant). Since you use multiple tracks per cd, I'd recommend you have a paper in like taped to the sleave with the tracklist and whatever info you need. Just find your way and stick with it. Even the most tedious workflow would pay you huge dividends in the future and you'll end up patting yourself on the back because you can find that track you want to play next easier man!

Hoped this helps and answered some of your questions man. =]

Oh and I don't think you'll find much info here because everyone moved to using software for the most part. CD's are a pretty rare breed nowadays I think. Not as rare as vinyl though so don't punish me for that statement anyone! :mad:

broshades
07-07-2012, 01:45 PM
haha I never would have though of making singles like that, but it makes perfect sense. It actually doesn't seem to be that much more expensive since once that track is made it's good to go forever, whereas tracklist cd's would have to get updated to stay organized.

Thanks a lot!

Complex.ity
07-07-2012, 02:00 PM
No problem man! You'll need a wallet with a lot of spaces though haha.. I have 2 wallets that fits like 500 cd's and 1 small that is like 90? I use the small one for my newest tracks I purchased so I get to know my new music better that way. I admit the process of burning single track cd's will get long, tedious and boring but you'll get used to it once you've done it a couple times through. Just sit down with your favorite drink and just knock it out! Burn the songs that you would really, really play play 1st then dig and dig and soon enough you'll have quite a nice collection if you do go that route! If you're wondering at all, I use memorex I buy at walmart 100 pack = $24 or so and I must say that they are pretty damn good. Never ran into any problems. Even my oldest cd's still are in decent shape and don't skip. =]

Tektonix
07-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Litterally, I just burn as many songs fit on the disc (only one type of genre aloud 2 at the most) and write that on the cover, burn 2 copy's of it and stick it in a CD binder. I eventually just remember whats on it after a few times so its not a problem for me :) That and i get a magical surprise sometimes with shit i didnt even know i had on there LOL Works for me :) Not too picky when it comes to organizing my CD's. My digital library and USB's.... Thats another story :lol: