PDA

View Full Version : What is Martin Up To?

Adam B
07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
I've just been noticing that Martin is discontinuing a lot of there products, SCX line, EFX Line, Wizard, MX 10, Krypton and Entour, etc... What gives?

Does Martin have some new products up there sleeve, or are they just going to cater to high end fixtures "well into the $1000s"? I was wondering if they might have some new products coming out. Maybe they are pooping out on us mid level guys? I have a couple Kryptons and was debating whether I should buy a couple more "you can get some pretty good deals on new ones right now" or possibly sell them and wait to see if they bring something new out??? I would actually like to replace them with some more powerful scanners but there really aren't to many options to pick from for scanners, seems like everything is moving heads.

I like moving heads, but the problem with them for me is that if you are in a venue where the ceiling is relatively low, and you hang them on a truss, you can only raise the truss so high, then the head hangs down an additional so many inches and the light "over all" isn't that high. I could do the totem method as well, but for the truss/crankstand option, scanners seem to be a better fit. And for some reason, i have done quit a few gigs lately where the ceiling is low, I walk in, and think to myself, seriously??? ha ha. Plus with a moving head, i never really need to shine behind me, etc...

Also, on another note. I was looking at scanners and I thought LED was suppose to "conserve" energy. For example, Chauvets Intimidator Scan 300 I believe takes 2.1 amps to run, Martin SCX 700 takes 2.0 amps to run, I am guessing that they are similar in brightness, I would actually think the 700 is brighter, maybe I am wrong, but what gives. I thought LED was more energy efficient. I do understand the 300s are quite a bit lighter. I just wanted to ask your guys opinions on this and why that is. As for a scanner, I am looking more in the lines of the MX 10 Extreme "brightness wise" but between that and a technobeam "which are usually used and all beat up" there aren't too many options. Sorry for the rant, just wanted to throw that out there, ha ha.

Adam

windspeed36
07-07-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm quite concerned now, I was planning on picking up 8 MX-10's in about 6 months..

Adam B
07-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I like the MX 10s as well windspeed, and slightly thought about getting some as well. Just tough to buy some when they are discontinuing them. You hate to buy some and then Martin comes out with something new and better for a "similar" price.

Adam

DJ M&M
07-07-2012, 12:43 PM
the 300 is brighter than the 700, and I was doing a concert a few weeks ago and the lead lighting guy was from Europe, and he said Martin is developing something to replace the scx series.

STLRiverCity
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I understand that Martin is getting out of the DJ line. Not sure where they draw the line between DJ and Pro stuff though.

Badger
07-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Sorry to hear that they're discontinuing the SCX line. I have four SCX-500 scanners and I love them... but I'd been hoping to get a "spare" unit or two just in case the unthinkable happens. :( I guess there'll probably be existing units out on the market for quite some time, but I hope the price doesn't skyrocket.

:badger:

Mystic
07-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Face it, the SCX line is outdated. In fact, all those lines are outdated. I am actually amazed that Martin decided to keep them as long as they did. Whether this brings new lines for the mid market is yet to be decided. Martin doesn't make a lot of money off the few possible thousand fixtures they sell to DJs, so it's not their main focus. I'd expect some lower cost LED fixtures to come out in the future, but I dunno how soon.

Nick_EventPro
07-08-2012, 02:33 AM
I can say with a high level of certainty (not just pure speculation, I've actually talked to people) that Martin is planning a release of a new line of "club level" lighting. New scanners, new movers. Products are in development, but not quite ready for release and no set time frame as to when anything is coming out. I'd guess we'll see the new stuff by LDI.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Martin, nor am I affiliated with them in any way. Just going off what I heard from "people in the know" on this one. I take no responsibility for the truth behind those statements.

Adam B
07-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Thanks Nick for the info. If that was true, I wonder how soon before Martin is to release the products?!?!

Mystic, why do you say all of those lines are outdated? I know you work a lot with lighting and I am just curious? I always thought those lines were pretty decent.

Adam

Mystic
07-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Mystic, why do you say all of those lines are outdated? I know you work a lot with lighting and I am just curious? I always thought those lines were pretty decent.
LEDs are the new standard in lighting.

Subprime
07-22-2012, 07:27 PM
LEDs are the new standard in lighting.

Aside from this, the 250s are starting to seriously show their age. They're not very bright, noisy and pretty slow.

Mystic
07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Aside from this, the 250s are starting to seriously show their age. They're not very bright, noisy and pretty slow.

Lamps will naturally dim over time if you've not swapped them out.