PDA

View Full Version : High End Trackspot vs. Martin SCX

ksmalk08
02-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I currently have four martin SCX500's and I am looking to upgrade.
I control them with Q-Light control on a Mac with an Enttec open dmx.

My reason for upgrading is pretty general - just something a bit "better" (always a relative thing I know). I would like something with a higher output, but remaining portable at the same time. I'm not sure if I want more features in my next fixtures, or I just need to do more with the DMX program (or move to a physical controller).

I've seen the trackspots in action - but never compared them directly to the SCX500.
Any thoughts on the difference in output between the two? Is is a significant difference?

Any thoughts on comparing a used trackspot to an SCX600? The 600's have rotating gobos, but otherwise they seem very comparable. At 6m lux is 1000 for the Trackspot and 1056 for the SCX600.

Instead of making an upgrade to one of these two - should I save more and look at other options? Even if I went for moving heads, there aren't a ton of options that look as portable/small-truss-mountable as these.

Budget is variable at this point - more just at the stage of looking at options.

DJStevieRay
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
It's almost a lateral move from your 500's. Not much of an upgrade (much older technology), the 600's are a bigger leap. I have seen some great blowouts on the 700's. If you can find a great deal. That IS an upgrade worth it.

ksmalk08
02-09-2012, 11:24 PM
OK that is helpful thank you.

So you would take the Trackspots over the 500's (but not by much), the 600's over the Trackspots, and the 700's above all.

Are there any other products with similar portability/rig-ability to these that you would consider as a significant upgrade from the 500's?

Mystic
02-10-2012, 04:18 AM
You're reaching the end of the consumer market and getting into pro so your options will be limited.
You might actually start to consider moving away from scanners and look at yokes at this point.

The other thing to consider is moving into LED. Some of the new Martin LED fixtures are incredible.

LiteTrix
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
I would take the the 500's over the trackspots any day. Like StevieRay said, they are old and they have pretty much the same features as your 500's. Maybe checkout some Techobeams or MX-10's. Just my opinion.

ksmalk08
02-10-2012, 06:32 PM
You're reaching the end of the consumer market and getting into pro so your options will be limited.
You might actually start to consider moving away from scanners and look at yokes at this point.

The other thing to consider is moving into LED. Some of the new Martin LED fixtures are incredible.

This pretty much summs up what I am realizing.

in terms of movers - even a Mac250 is pretty big for me. It would mean I need new trussing, which, if I want the pro-gear I guess I have to bite the bullet and buy.

checkout some Techobeams

I have looked at some used Technobeams and love them for the performance and features, but they are quite large as well.

DJ M&M
02-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Techno beams are heavy mofos

DJ M&M
02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
As for movers to get look at the entour350's or if that's out of ur price range qspot 260s are the next best thing

Synaxis
02-10-2012, 08:30 PM
As for movers to get look at the entour350's or if that's out of ur price range qspot 260s are the next best thing

Q-Spot 260's are outdated already. The new Chauvet Intimidator LED 250's are brighter than the Q-spot 260's.

He would probably be better off with the new Intimidator Spot LED 350's.

DJ M&M
02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
The intimidator line of movers I've found have always been jerky and unsmooth where as the qspot line Ive yet to have that problem.

Synaxis
02-11-2012, 10:35 AM
The intimidator line of movers I've found have always been jerky and unsmooth where as the qspot line Ive yet to have that problem.

Chauvet just came out with three new LED movers to the Intimidator line.

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/intimidator-spot-led-150.html
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/intimidator-spot-led-250.html
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/intimidator-spot-led-350.html

I'm not talking about the previous models.

ksmalk08
02-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Q-Spot 260's are outdated already. The new Chauvet Intimidator LED 250's are brighter than the Q-spot 260's.

He would probably be better off with the new Intimidator Spot LED 350's.

Brand Identity is a big deal for me (regardless of if that is right or not) and I'd generally like to stay away from Chauvet. Not that they don't make some good stuff, they do... but if it came down to a used MAC250+ or a Q-Spot 260... I'd go for Martin.

I am going through a cleaning-house process right now getting rid of all my Chauvet/ADJ gear.

It seems to me that the SCX600/700's are kind of the end of the road before, as Mystic said, you get into the pro level stuff.
Does anyone have suggestions as to what products, similar to the SCX600/700's (or super-compact movers/scanners), that I am missing?

I think if I were to save up/get rigging for the 260's I would just go a little further for PS 5R's.

windspeed36
05-22-2012, 01:41 AM
What did you end up getting in the end? I'm curious because I'm looking at getting 8 scanners, tossing up between the SCX700's and the MX-10's and the other possibilities..

Nick_EventPro
05-22-2012, 07:52 AM

That's a huge gap...
I'd rather have PS5R's over entours... or another more affordable option is the Blizzard Torrent90.. both units far outperform the qspots.
In terms of the qspots being outdated- I'd take them over intimidators all day.

CQE DJs
05-22-2012, 08:35 AM
That's a huge gap...
I'd rather have PS5R's over entours... or another more affordable option is the Blizzard Torrent90.. both units far outperform the qspots.
In terms of the qspots being outdated- I'd take them over intimidators all day.

Nick - Can you elaborate on why you would chose the Qspots over the Intimdator series. I actually saw the intimdator 350s the other day and i was pretty impressed by them.

Thanks!

DJStevieRay
05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
What did you end up getting in the end? I'm curious because I'm looking at getting 8 scanners, tossing up between the SCX700's and the MX-10's and the other possibilities..

Really it depends on your needs. Assess your needs and the answer will come to you.

The 700's are more compact and easier to transport
The 700's you can fit more into a smaller area. I have seen setups with 2 MX10's on a 4' T-bar, I have seen 4 SCX's on a 4' T Bar
The 700's draw less power (so if you are mobile and power can be a concern, you may want the SCX's)
The 700's are about 20 lbs. lighter

The MX10's are brighter
The MX10's have 3 more colors
The MX10's have 1 more gobo
The MX10's have a Prism
The MX10's have more built in Macros

Nick_EventPro
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Nick - Can you elaborate on why you would chose the Qspots over the Intimdator series. I actually saw the intimdator 350s the other day and i was pretty impressed by them.

Thanks!

No real solid reason other than I have experience with the Q-Spots and they have always been reliable for me. I also like the second gobo wheel- that, to me, is a plus. If you can do without that second wheel, on paper, the Intimidator 350 is a better light.

More on topic... the MX-10 is a sweet scanner. If you can deal with the weight and size and can rig them appropriately, they would be my pick- unless you can afford Trackspot Bolts. For a mobile DJ application- I'd pick the SCX700s.

windspeed36
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm using them backline on global truss as both a moving head and also an effect/wash on the crowd If I need it. I might go in and have a look at them next week because YouTube videos don't tell you anything.

EDIT:I'm using these both for DJ's and bands

DJStevieRay
05-22-2012, 08:25 PM
The qspot 260 is better. The intimidator doesn't have the second gobo wheel, it is only 20% brighter when measured at a 30% smaller beam (12degree beam). At the same beam angle the lux rating will be very identical. And seriously a manual zoom? I find that as useful, as my wife lying in bed next to me. I mean it's nice to touch, but doesn't really provide a useful function when you want it to. I know I don't constantly want to climb a ladder, and turn a lens to adjust a beam angle during a gig.

I can see me programming a scene now...
Step 1) pan 85 tilt 12 dimmer 255 shutter 30 color 20
Step 2) hold 30 seconds so I can climb ladder and adjust beam to what I think may be around 17 degrees
Step 3) pan 155 tilt 57 dimmer 255 shutter 30 color 20

CQE DJs
05-22-2012, 09:16 PM
It has only manual focus to adjust the beam angle. Otherwise it does have focus as part of the dmx channels. Ita channel 10. I actually saw the 2 compared with each other and the intimidator was brighter at similar beam degrees

Nick_EventPro
05-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Good point Stevie about the beam angle. I didn't see anything on it when I glanced at the specs but if that's the case then very valid point.