PDA

View Full Version : Shady promoter or no ?

DJArmani
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
So during this "DJforum blackout" I got myself my first club gig. The guy wants me to open up for him, even though (not being cocky at all) I am better than him. Whatever, I'm still excited! So he tells there's going to be a limo, and to tell my friends this. He then tells me to email him a pic of myself djing so he can put it on the flyer. A few days later, while all of these people are asking me about how much this limo to the club is going to be he tells me "I don't know if there's gonna be one or the amount yet." Making me look stupid. Then following this he never puts my picture on the flyer, and makes all these statuses about HIM djing but mentions nothing about me. Nor do the other promoters know I'm djing. This ticked me off but I brushed it off. But after he changed the date and pushed it an extra 2 weeks ahead, without telling me, he really pissed me off. I approached him and asked him why he never told me. His excuse was "Oh I thought I told you my fault. The club is putting in new lights and sound." I'm saying to myself, why didn't you tell me this? Then he continues to say "The event is confirmed but depending on how long it takes to put in new lights, and sound it could be later." I told him to tell me an exact date when he gets one instead of changing it over and over so I can fit it into my schedule. He tells me "I don't work for the club what do you want me to do ?" :squint:

djdavidvaux
02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
99% of club promoters suck

I hate dealing with them.
They all dress like they own something.
fuck that.

DJArmani
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
99% of club promoters suck

I hate dealing with them.
They all dress like they own something.
fuck that.

Well said. This guy cannot dress though. LOL :lol:

DJ Elroy
02-09-2012, 06:42 PM
He sounds either shady, stupid, or inconsiderate. He could just be inexperienced and/or passing the BS on to somebody else. Guess it doesn't really matter which, I would avoid him.

If you do deal with him in the future, try get him to sign something first and/or getting a small deposit before you start promoting the show for him.

NickyNines
02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
So during this "DJforum blackout" I got myself my first club gig. The guy wants me to open up for him, even though (not being cocky at all) I am better than him. Whatever, I'm still excited! So he tells there's going to be a limo, and to tell my friends this. He then tells me to email him a pic of myself djing so he can put it on the flyer. A few days later, while all of these people are asking me about how much this limo to the club is going to be he tells me "I don't know if there's gonna be one or the amount yet." Making me look stupid. Then following this he never puts my picture on the flyer, and makes all these statuses about HIM djing but mentions nothing about me. Nor do the other promoters know I'm djing. This ticked me off but I brushed it off. But after he changed the date and pushed it an extra 2 weeks ahead, without telling me, he really pissed me off. I approached him and asked him why he never told me. His excuse was "Oh I thought I told you my fault. The club is putting in new lights and sound." I'm saying to myself, why didn't you tell me this? Then he continues to say "The event is confirmed but depending on how long it takes to put in new lights, and sound it could be later." I told him to tell me an exact date when he gets one instead of changing it over and over so I can fit it into my schedule. He tells me "I don't work for the club what do you want me to do ?" :squint:

Shady...

I'll break it down for you. He said he was going to get a Limo/Party Bus so that there would be more demand. When he couldn't pull his half he cancelled it.

He doesn't know how many people are going so he wont tell you how much each person has to pay cause he doesn't want to scare people off or cover a bust.

Every legitimate promoter; and by legitimate I tread very lightly because there is no such thing (or few and far between), can put your face on a flyer with a phone cal... I chum up laziness and cheapness on this.

Lack of respect for not even mentioning you in any posts... this should show you he doesn't care about you and just wants your friends to go so he will make money.

He knew he didn't tell you that the date had been pushed; but he never used that excuse on you before so why not use it now.

What you can do is.... if you choose to work with him deal with this bs and just play out. I wouldn't put much effort into promoting yourself and trying to get as many of your friends out as you could. Just use it as practice. Also get paid something at least, if you aren't it really isn't worth your trouble. :tup:

DjFloMatic
02-09-2012, 11:09 PM
So his this guy the DJ or the Promoter or both?? maybe hes just as confused as you about whats going on or maybe hes just full of shit...

Is it a good enough gig even worth stressing over? If not I would just go about it like it's not happening and if something else comes up take, if the guy gets back to and confirms it show up and kill it...

Hygro
02-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Yeah I wouldn't burn your favors with your friends telling them it's going to be the one they have to come to, because this guy sounds like he might not pull. I dunno, have you been to his parties? Are they any good? No reason otherwise to stress it and think about it at all until you show up to play.

DJ ATX
02-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Well I hope you got a booking agreement signed and a deposit in hand.........

MeowMix
02-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Who the hell takes a limo to the club these days? What is it senior prom?

I wouldnt say he is shady but rather inexperienced and disorganized. Sounds like this is his first time around trying to pull this off and his is trying to sound all big time while in reality botching at every step.

DJArmani
02-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice. & @FloMatic : He's the DJ AND Promoter.
@Hygro : Never been to any of his parties but a few I know have heard him DJ and they say he BLOWS. He records mixes then MC's over them @ parties.
The kid is known as a cornball.

And just to add more info: He's paying me under the table because I don't have my working papers yet. Hasn't told me how long I'll be djing for. He's full of shit, I'm about to just blow off the event completely because the place is nothing crazy. I'm about to make a promo mix for this big promoting company around here that is WAY more reliable and they throw way more parties. This kid is just getting started with promoting, also. I don't think he really knows what he's doing.

Hygro
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Even if he sucks, just remember to not burn any bridges even if you do back out, because you never know when he learns a bit, partners up with someone who does know whats up, and then has the means to book you for something cool.

Badger
02-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I'll be uncharacteristically brief here.

The guy sounds like a dick, and not worth your time. If I were in your place, I'd back out of the gig.

Just because there are tons of DJs out there now doesn't give someone the right to jerk you along like this, and if the guy's already got a reputation as a "cornball," it's probably best that you not build a reputation as someone who has to stoop to taking gigs from someone of his caliber.

:badger:

DjBlanco
02-12-2012, 09:31 AM
probally wasnt even a promoter could be just a sub promoter that has no say they just hype shit up and dont follow through lol

bernardgregory
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
If you do deal with him in the future, try get him to sign something first and/or getting a small deposit before you start promoting the show for him.

bingo

Alert
02-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Punch him in the face.

:devil:

Djmike209
02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
We used to do an event every year around the forth It drew big crowds.
The last year we did the event a new "promoter" took it over. He was more focused on Bands rather then DJ and he made it known.

We were hired to entertain the crowd which we did. He didnt like that we were taking the crowd away from his bands.

He came over to me a few times asking me to turn it down that no one could hear the band.... mind you, we were on the other side of the venue.. which was HUGE.
later he came over and told us to stop playing when HIS bands came on, so people would go watch them. I told him "Well if your band didnt suck then maybe people would watch them"
I dont think he liked that...

The last straw: Were were about 10 minutes for finishing up our last set and he walked over and told me to cut it. I told him I had 10 min left and I will stop when my contract said I could stop. He then reached over my board and pushed down the volume controls. I grabbed is arms and told him to never touch me or equipment. We were not asked to come back the next year.

The next year the event tanked and was cancelled the following year.

So year Fuck promoters.

mrkleen
02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Who the hell takes a limo to the club these days? What is it senior prom?

:lol:

DJArmani
02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
LOL @DJMike209 what a story.

bmorr
02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
We used to do an event every year around the forth It drew big crowds.
The last year we did the event a new "promoter" took it over. He was more focused on Bands rather then DJ and he made it known.

We were hired to entertain the crowd which we did. He didnt like that we were taking the crowd away from his bands.

He came over to me a few times asking me to turn it down that no one could hear the band.... mind you, we were on the other side of the venue.. which was HUGE.
later he came over and told us to stop playing when HIS bands came on, so people would go watch them. I told him "Well if your band didnt suck then maybe people would watch them"
I dont think he liked that...

The last straw: Were were about 10 minutes for finishing up our last set and he walked over and told me to cut it. I told him I had 10 min left and I will stop when my contract said I could stop. He then reached over my board and pushed down the volume controls. I grabbed is arms and told him to never touch me or equipment. We were not asked to come back the next year.

The next year the event tanked and was cancelled the following year.

So year Fuck promoters.

HIGHLY recommend nobody ever acts like this towards an event promoter, regardless of how you are treated. If they are still paying you, then they have the say in what you do. If they were refusing to pay you, just walk away, don't make a scene.